“honest unbiased review” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ohio
“honest unbiased review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel when it was brand new as a child. When taking my family on our first beach vacation together, I chose this hotel based on my memories as a child. Truthfully, I had my whole family on this vacation complete with children and parents. This place was very inexpensive which is why we chose it. They did allow us to view the room before committing to it. We requested a lower level room and they were very accommodating. On our third day of a 6 day stay, the front desk clerk called us to say there was a problem with our credit card. After several calls from the desk and numerous calls to the credit card company--who by the way said there were no problems with the card--I had to use my cell phone and put the front desk clerk on the phone with the agent who told the clerk the same thing I had several times- that the number was entered wrong. This cleared that whole matter. The room is dated, and you don't feel that is cleaned that well. We did have an issue when our tub wouldn't drain, and they did repair it in a timely manner. The balcony is nice with a great view of the ocean. We gave the bedroom to the other members of our party and my kids and I used the living room where we had the only television and the view. The kids slept on an air mattress, and I on the sofa. I personally did not want to lay directly on the sofa, therefore, I put a blanket and pillow from home down before I would sleep on it. Truthfully, for the rate and convenience alone, I would stay there again. However in planning for our 2008 summer vacation to VB, my teenage daughter refuses to stay there, so we are looking into other options. BTW, my stepmother and I borrowed the maids vacuum and some cleaning towels and cleaned our room when we got there. We used the kitchenette to wash our own dishes and used the fridge and microwave, however I wouldn't have wanted to use the provided pots, pans, and utensils to actually cook in the room.

• Liked — the view and location
  • Disliked — the room was in poor condition
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

My husband, daughter in law and granddaughter stayed here for the weekend mid September. We found the place to be in a great location - great view of the ocean. My granddaughter especially liked the balcony - she could watch the ships coming and going. The staff was great - we liked the separate bedroom and bathroom. We liked the security for entry to the upper floors. Overall, this place was great for our needs and we will be back next year in September.

• Liked — suite
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing getaway for a few days. We found the Ambassador Suites very clean, quiet, and convenient for coffee and some of our in-house meals due to end of the season closings. It was a great beach view from our balcony and very accessible to the beach and boardwalk. Thanks again for a nice relaxing few days. I look forward to visiting again.

• Liked — Suite, utilities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

The positive atributes are the location (almost dead center on the boardwalk), the staff (very friendly and helpful), the view (all rooms oceanside), the kitchen facilities, and the renovation (which began two days before I checked out).

The renovation leads me to the negative atribute, which is that the place is currently run down, and I'm being diplomatic. In talking to the staff, I discerned they are tearing the place down to studs and refurbishing it with all new everything. I recently stayed in another hotel on VA Beach owned by the same company, and if that level of quality is the target for this hotel, it should be very clean and comfortable when finished. The owners recently bought the Ambassador, and the staff had worked at the other hotel I mention. Their attitude about the facility seemed to mirror my reaction to the place: it's not great now, but there is a lot of potential.

This would be a good place for a couple or a small family who wanted the option of light cooking in their room (french toast for breakfast yes, three course chicken dinner no), and easy access to everything on the beach. I am a navy officer and was on temporary orders, and this met my needs nicely. (Management seemed very eager for that type of business, especially heading into the winter. I was treated very well.)

• Liked — location and kitchen facilities
  • Disliked — cleanliness, but it's being remedied
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

My husband, our two daughters and I were having a VERY hard time finding somewhere affordable to stay during our trip at Virginia beach. We found an ad for the Ambassador Hotel and decided to check it out. We are very glad we did because not only were the rooms affordable; the kitchen in the room was a huge plus. The view was great and the staff was very friendly. We would definitely stay there again!!!!

Stayed August 2007

Been to Ocean Suites? Share your experiences!