“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GROVE CITY
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is at the south end of the boardwalk, but the rooms are designed so that you get a great ocean view, a door and a patio that we kept open all night to hear the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. There was a little kitchen in our room and a wonderful hot top by the window so we could relax and look out at the ocean all night long.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Staunton, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

No, its not like the advertised picture, but it is a very nice room/hotel for the price. My wife and I are here on our honeymoon and since we are just average working class folks we were excited to discover this place. The staff has been very nice and the view is just incredible and you can sit in the jacuzzi and enjoy it. We leave the balcony door open and the surf and breeze are perfect! It is within walking distance of anything you really need, Wal;Mart is not to far up the road and niether is the grocery store, the kitchenette is very nice and convienient. Some were complaining about it being 70's but that is great with us as we just had a 70's themed wedding and it is both of our favorite decade. We plan on making this our anniversary destination every year and would be saddened if it were torn down or closed. Also the money we saved on the room we are pleased we can use for dining out/shopping etc. We are going to the pool now its 78 degrees at the end of Oct. Incredible!

Room Tip: There is no resturant or fitness center so it is not terrible as marked.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The weather is warm enough to enjoy the beach and the room was cool enough to be comfortable concerning the A/C issues described previously. Linens were old but they were clean. Pillows are flat but still work! We had a 6th floor, ocean front, double bed room for 2 friends traveling together. We didn't have a jacuzzi but in place of that, we had a table with 4 chairs which was nice. The room is huge. One other note is that because we didn't have a jacuzzi, we had a full size balcony which was a huge plus for us.

We had many family members staying here for a beach wedding so I got to see many of the rooms. The ones who used the jacuzzi's loved them. Only drawback is the room doors are metal and make a lot of noise when you close them. You can hear people in the night shutting doors but a pair of earplugs solves that problem easily. The hotel was booked and hearing people on either side of us was NOT an issue at all. It was quiet in the room. Rooms near the elevators are noisy, from what I was told by other family members. Wear earplugs and you're all set!

Yes, it's older but you have to pick what's important to you. The ocean view was fantastic! The location to watch the surfers or the huge boats going in and out from the inlet was fun to see. It's at the quiet end of the boardwalk but a 10 minute walk and you're near the action. Staff was very helpful and assisted me in getting me a great cab driver for the trip back to the airport. A shout out to Alba Taxi. He was good!

Bottom line is that I would stay there again, for sure!

Room Tip: Ocean view from 6th floor.
Burlington, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Don't be fooled with this place, it isn't what the pictures make you think it is. We made a reservation online and in the end we never even saw the room. We specifically reserved a room with a full kitchenette as our children have a lot of allergies and we need to cook for them, but as soon as we arrived and finally found a parking space, we were told they had us down for a completely different room. The clerk at the front desk gave us an attitude. Seeing the exterior, struggling with parking, finding out that the road would be closed in the morning and we would be stuck at the hotel until 10:30am, having the wrong room, and then getting attitude was all too much for us. We requested a refund on our deposit and left. And of course, the guy at the front desk gave us a hard time about the refund. We ended up getting a room at the Hilton Garden Inn Town Center, which is a good distance away from the beach but a MUCH better experience!

Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We took a last minute mid-week trip to VA Beach this week and we landed at the Schooner. Since it's the end of September, it wasn't very busy at all, and we were able to get an oceanfront hot tub room on the 5th floor. We arrived a little early, around 3:20, and we were able to check in before the stated 4pm check in time. The room was clean and the tub was a nice touch, although with the kids in tow, they are the only ones who got to take advantage of it!

The whole time we were there it seemed like we had the entire 5th floor to ourselves, which ended up being a plus. The AC situation could be very troublesome in warmer weather. Thankfully, it never got much above 80 during the day and was very comfortable in the evenings. Since the AC didn't seem to cool the room AT ALL, we propped the balcony and room doors open, and the breeze was perfect! The front desk assured us that the AC would kick in as long as we were in the room, but we spent a couple of hours in the room while my 2 year old napped, and I swear the thing never got any cooler. When I'm at the beach in the summertime, if I come in my room all sweaty and sandy, you can BET that I want it to be cool in there! You won't get that at the Schooner.

Other than that, it was a perfect stay. The location is awesome, the parking was super convenient (the lot wasn't even half full during our stay). I would recommend the Schooner for a stay during the cooler months!

Oh! One last thing... I don't know if this is a constant thing, but there are planes (F-18s if google is to be believed!) flying overhead from about 8am-10pm, from the nearby military base. We were only there for a couple of days, so it was fun to watch them, but I could see it being annoying for some!

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Well I made reservations online for Friday Sept 14th thru Monday Sept 17th for a Double bed Jacuzzi room.. Well for some reason the reservation got made for Sept 15th thur Sept 18.. So when I started looking at the print out I notice it was wrong, so I called the Hotel to change it and he told me that he couldn't change reservations made online, that I had to change it myself online. So I tried that but it referred me to call the motel. So called back and he said that was cause they didn't have a Double room available for the Friday night that he could put me in a King Jacuzzi room for Friday but we would have to move Saturday to a double room and the rates were differant cause of Friday was a weekend night. And then he couldn't get the reservation to work and asked if he could call me back after his relief came in at 11pm to get him to help him with it. So I said yes and he did call me back and told me that since I had so much trouble he was going to give it to me for the same rate as I was qouted online. So we got there to check in and for the most part the room was ok until i got to looking around. The bathroom sink was dirty and the TV was real fuzzy and the two of the jets in the Jacuzzi wasn't working and the ac didn't seem to be working that well. But we didn't complain then. The next day we were informed that we had to switch rooms that we already knew. But Check out is 11am and we had to wait until after 2:30pm to be moved to our other room. Which ate half our day up waiting. It seem like if they had a stayover that had to move that would be one of the first rooms that would be cleaned. But with the extented wait for the room took half our day up. Well that night we woke up to a bed of sweat cause the ac wasn't working again. So I went down to the front desk and he told me that he would send someone up right away. So on my way back up I seen a Maid and asked her about it and she said that if we have the door open it would kick that ac off. So we closed the door and it did start cooling off. But an hour went by and no one showed up. So we left to go take our bike ride. And we were gone for over 3 hours and I went shopping while my boyfriend went back to the room to change to go to the beach and couldn't get back in the room. And they wouldn't give him another key cause his name wasn't on the room list cause I reserved the room. So he asked them to call me and they told him they can't make outgoing calls. But they did end up calling me and before I could get to it, it went to my voice mail. So I checked it and tryed to call back and it stayed busy. Then when i finally got thru I had told them to please give him a key if he came back. Well he had walked thur all the stores to find me and I told him that I had talked to them told them to give him a key so he walked back to the Hotel. And they still wouldn't give him a key and told him that I needed to come with my ID. And they didn't tell me that on the phone. Well when we finally got back to the room it was hot again. SO I went back down to the desk and asked if maintance had checked out my ac and he didn't know. But explain to me then there was no movement in the room the ac turns off. So while we are sleeping for 6 to 8 hours we have no ac. And again a 3 and 6 am i woke up to bed full of sweat.. It seems that as much as I paid for the room I should have a cool room when I want it. I will never stay there again...

Room Tip: If you want a cool AC room don't stay here...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

The outside of the Schooner is dated and it is a smaller hotel. But the inside is decorated nicely and very clean! It is priced perfectly and it is quiet on the south end. The heart shaped "hot tub" is just a jaccuzi tub, but it is ocean front with beautiful views! My husband and I enjoyed our stay very much!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Schooner Inn? Share your experiences!