“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Allen Park, Michigan
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is ocean front and in the middle of the boardwalk. Within walking distance to everything. The hotel is old but very clean. Very family friendly and all of the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are happy to hear that our great location and outstanding customer service enhanced your vacation experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your excellent feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We always enjoy staying at the Ocean Sands it is a family, fun and clean environment. It is located perfectly in the middle of the boardwalk and there are lots of activities close by. One of the best venues is right across the street for children and adults alike its called Flipper McCoy's. Another great place that is across the street one block is Doc Taylor's the best breakfast place on the beach.

I would highly recommend staying at the Ocean Sands.

--Lance G. Ayers

Room Tip: Ask for one of the tower units
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are delighted to hear that our resort’s atmosphere and convenient location suited your vacation needs. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your great feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Ocean Sands is conveniently located within walking distance to many attractions and great restaurants. Be sure to stop by the in house restaurant Johnny Manannas and check out the amazing tequila menu.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are thrilled to hear that our great location suited your vacation needs. Thank you for acknowledging Johnny Manana’s as they have some of the best tasting food and specialty drinks on the boardwalk. We appreciate you taking the time to write this fantastic review and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pros: Ocean front, exactly mid-point on Boardwalk which is probably the best thing about this property. Staff friendly and helpful if you ask. Full kitchen w/regular-size refrigerator. Free self-laundry. Bike rental right beside property. People on Boardwalk cannot see into bedroom windows. Bedroom windows are good places to hang things to dry! Nice fitness room for rainy days. Check-in was quick and we were about check-in early.
Cons: no balcony - only property on Boardwalk w/o balconies! AC only in bedroom; ceiling fan in living area helped cool that room but not all units have fans in living area. Some of the clothes dryers don't dry very well.
Although we really liked the location, we probably would have to think twice about staying here again especially in room 202: bedroom A/C was noisy, vents for cooling living area were really noisy and did not seem to cool room well, music from restaurant below was irritating. Room 512 was much better (better cooling, much less noise).

Room Tip: You will hear the music from the 1st floor restaurant if directly above it. Units w/ceiling fans in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Our staff goes out of their way to enhance everyone’s visit to Virginia Beach. We are glad that our great location suited your vacation needs. I apologize that everything during your stay did not meet your expectations. It did not meet our expectations. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and we hope that you give us another chance in the future.
Douglasville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed July 1st through July 6th. Check In was very fast and efficient. The girl that checked us in was very friendly. We had a room on the first floor that was more than adequate. Large living room area with plenty of seating, nice bedroom with plenty of storage, kitchen was a bit small but was fine for quick breakfast and lunch meals in the room. If you want new linens or towels you must take them to a room to be exchanged, we liked this as we do not like room servicing unless we ask for it. The exchange was very efficient. The housekeeping person at the towel exchange room was more than helpful. She not only made sure we got exchange for all we brought in but also asked if we needed bathroom tissue, dish soap etc before we left her. I agree with almost everyone else reviewing this resort that no balcony is the main downfall. My wife and I noticed on our daily walk of the boardwalk that it is the only resort on the beach with no balcony. Even with the absence of the balcony we were still able to enjoy the fireworks on the 4th of July from our unit. We pushed the couch over in front of the window and opened the side windows to enjoy the show without having to fight for a space on the boardwalk, this was nice but would have been better with a balcony. One small complaint as far as the room goes is that from the bedroom you can hear every noise from the unit next door. Our neighbors decided that vacuuming at 7:14 AM would be a great Idea as well as allowing their young ones to scream all day in the room and hallway outside the room was a good idea also. Parking is a bit of a sore spot with me because my brand new car got terribly scratched up while parked in the very tight spaces in the garage. I guess this might be expected by some but not me. If I scratched someones car, new or old and I knew it I would man up and take responsibility. Not the resorts fault but it does make me angry. Overall it was a very nice place to stay and very convenient to the beach, boardwalk, food, and entertainment. I would stay here again in the future and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are honored that you chose to celebrate Fourth of July week with us. It gives us great pleasure to hear that our unit amenities and fantastic location suited your vacation needs. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your wonderful feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A family member is an owner at Ocean Sands and I expressed interest in purchasing so they offered me the opportunity to spend a few nights in their unit. Check in was extremely pleasant. The employees were helpful, efficient and seemed genuine. I was advised at check in that we could only park one vehicle on site and the other would need to be parked at another lot some 3 blocks away. This was a bit irritating, especially since there were multiple empty spaces in the garage.
I entered the resort via the 2nd floor garage entrance. Although it is a card access entrance, the door was open, and I found later that the door is somewhat off track and does not close on its own. That could definitely present a safety issue.
The hallways were quiet and clean, although appeared a bit dated. I entered the unit and found it to be, for the most part, neat and comfortable. There was a stale odor, and the living room was extremely warm. When I walked into the bedroom the temperature drastically changed. It was very cool. The AC unit in the bedroom did an excellent job cooling that room, but was not sufficient to cool the living room area. There was a flat screen TV in both the living and bedroom. Both remotes seemed to be damaged and the battery compartments were held shut with scotch tape. I found it a bit odd that there were two closets in the unit and neither had a door. Also, the only mirrors in the entire unit were in the bathroom.
The bed was comfortable, although the head board was not properly attached and banged against the wall every time I sat down or got up off the bed. There was a down like comforter on the bed that appeared to have been washed improperly because the stuffing was clumped and uneven.
I was shocked to find that this resort does not have balconies. The large window offered an unobstructed view of the boardwalk and ocean, but, did not open; therefore we were not able to enjoy the experience fully. There was an outside area on the 2nd floor as well as the 6th floor, however, neither of them faced the oceanfront.
My biggest issue was with the restroom. The tiles were extremely dirty. I actually tried to clean them with a bath towel and found that the dirt was ground in and the stains would not come up. The bathroom floor mat was frayed and worn. There is a definite issue with the drainage in the bathtub and sink. While showering the water rose above my ankles and took an extended amount of time to drain once the water was turned off.
This was also my first experience in a hotel/resort that did not offer room service. Soiled linens and towels had to be “exchanged” during specific hours. This created a bit of an issue for me when I checked out, because I left before the exchange was open, therefore I could not properly prepare the room for my family members that were arriving later that day.
All in all it was an average experience. I must say that every employee that I came in contact with was excellent. While I enjoyed spending time at the beach, I would not consider purchasing a unit in this building.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Our staff goes out of their way to ensure they attend to all of our guests’ needs. I apologize that not everything on your vacation met your expectations. It did not meet our expectations either. We really appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a nice place....staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed being in the middle of all the action. Missed a balcony but it is coming soon. Had a chance to eat at the Restaurant service was excellent and food was delicious. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We are delighted to hear that our inviting staff and great location enhanced your vacation experience. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our restaurant Johnny Mananas as they have some of the best tasting food and specialty drinks on the beach. Once again we really appreciate your excellent feedback and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Virginia Beach.

Been to Ocean Sands Resort? Share your experiences!