“Overall Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Douglasville, Georgia
“Overall Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed July 1st through July 6th. Check In was very fast and efficient. The girl that checked us in was very friendly. We had a room on the first floor that was more than adequate. Large living room area with plenty of seating, nice bedroom with plenty of storage, kitchen was a bit small but was fine for quick breakfast and lunch meals in the room. If you want new linens or towels you must take them to a room to be exchanged, we liked this as we do not like room servicing unless we ask for it. The exchange was very efficient. The housekeeping person at the towel exchange room was more than helpful. She not only made sure we got exchange for all we brought in but also asked if we needed bathroom tissue, dish soap etc before we left her. I agree with almost everyone else reviewing this resort that no balcony is the main downfall. My wife and I noticed on our daily walk of the boardwalk that it is the only resort on the beach with no balcony. Even with the absence of the balcony we were still able to enjoy the fireworks on the 4th of July from our unit. We pushed the couch over in front of the window and opened the side windows to enjoy the show without having to fight for a space on the boardwalk, this was nice but would have been better with a balcony. One small complaint as far as the room goes is that from the bedroom you can hear every noise from the unit next door. Our neighbors decided that vacuuming at 7:14 AM would be a great Idea as well as allowing their young ones to scream all day in the room and hallway outside the room was a good idea also. Parking is a bit of a sore spot with me because my brand new car got terribly scratched up while parked in the very tight spaces in the garage. I guess this might be expected by some but not me. If I scratched someones car, new or old and I knew it I would man up and take responsibility. Not the resorts fault but it does make me angry. Overall it was a very nice place to stay and very convenient to the beach, boardwalk, food, and entertainment. I would stay here again in the future and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are honored that you chose to celebrate Fourth of July week with us. It gives us great pleasure to hear that our unit amenities and fantastic location suited your vacation needs. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your wonderful feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A family member is an owner at Ocean Sands and I expressed interest in purchasing so they offered me the opportunity to spend a few nights in their unit. Check in was extremely pleasant. The employees were helpful, efficient and seemed genuine. I was advised at check in that we could only park one vehicle on site and the other would need to be parked at another lot some 3 blocks away. This was a bit irritating, especially since there were multiple empty spaces in the garage.
I entered the resort via the 2nd floor garage entrance. Although it is a card access entrance, the door was open, and I found later that the door is somewhat off track and does not close on its own. That could definitely present a safety issue.
The hallways were quiet and clean, although appeared a bit dated. I entered the unit and found it to be, for the most part, neat and comfortable. There was a stale odor, and the living room was extremely warm. When I walked into the bedroom the temperature drastically changed. It was very cool. The AC unit in the bedroom did an excellent job cooling that room, but was not sufficient to cool the living room area. There was a flat screen TV in both the living and bedroom. Both remotes seemed to be damaged and the battery compartments were held shut with scotch tape. I found it a bit odd that there were two closets in the unit and neither had a door. Also, the only mirrors in the entire unit were in the bathroom.
The bed was comfortable, although the head board was not properly attached and banged against the wall every time I sat down or got up off the bed. There was a down like comforter on the bed that appeared to have been washed improperly because the stuffing was clumped and uneven.
I was shocked to find that this resort does not have balconies. The large window offered an unobstructed view of the boardwalk and ocean, but, did not open; therefore we were not able to enjoy the experience fully. There was an outside area on the 2nd floor as well as the 6th floor, however, neither of them faced the oceanfront.
My biggest issue was with the restroom. The tiles were extremely dirty. I actually tried to clean them with a bath towel and found that the dirt was ground in and the stains would not come up. The bathroom floor mat was frayed and worn. There is a definite issue with the drainage in the bathtub and sink. While showering the water rose above my ankles and took an extended amount of time to drain once the water was turned off.
This was also my first experience in a hotel/resort that did not offer room service. Soiled linens and towels had to be “exchanged” during specific hours. This created a bit of an issue for me when I checked out, because I left before the exchange was open, therefore I could not properly prepare the room for my family members that were arriving later that day.
All in all it was an average experience. I must say that every employee that I came in contact with was excellent. While I enjoyed spending time at the beach, I would not consider purchasing a unit in this building.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Our staff goes out of their way to ensure they attend to all of our guests’ needs. I apologize that not everything on your vacation met your expectations. It did not meet our expectations either. We really appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a nice place....staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed being in the middle of all the action. Missed a balcony but it is coming soon. Had a chance to eat at the Restaurant service was excellent and food was delicious. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We are delighted to hear that our inviting staff and great location enhanced your vacation experience. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our restaurant Johnny Mananas as they have some of the best tasting food and specialty drinks on the beach. Once again we really appreciate your excellent feedback and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Virginia Beach.
League City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had 3 condos through RCI. We had the nicest friendliest staff. We got adjoining on 2 of the condos without asking. The pool was great, there is something for everyone. Location is the key. We were on 2nd floor, and this hotel is in the middle of the beach. This hotel used to have balconies but did not meet room size standards when RCI took over. It's 2 nice size rooms with one bathroom, but privacy with a door between rooms. I observed BJ at night sweeping carpets because vacuum too noisy. Bethany, Evelyn stood out with great customer service.we could sit in our room and watch the music concert, fireworks,great places to eat and grocery store within 6 blocks.if u want maid service fresh towels everyday then go somewhere else,this is truly all about LOCATION...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We really appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our staff and the excellent service they provide. Our team members thrive on enhancing everyone’s vacation experience. We are so glad that our great location in the heart of the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and our amenities met your expectations during your stay with us. Once again thank you for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Ideal location for our first visit to Virginia Beach! Right in the middle of things, boardwalk and beach are right out back door. Every room in the place has a ocean view, stay in the tower and get up as high as possible if you can and you can watch the beach day and night from a birds eye view. Watch all the people walking and jogging the boardwalk if your a people watcher. Its also nice to watch the horses walk and run down the beach. The resort has a free tanning bed, for those off season months or whenever you want to use it, just bring your eye protection or buy the sticker ones they have for 50 cents. Free washer and dryers on certain floors to do your laundry anytime you want. Walgreens is one block away. The kitchen in the unit is very accommodating. The living room/dining area has a TV and the bedroom also has one. 1 Bedroom unit is very spacious for 2 people, it does have a pull out bed in the sofa so a few kids would be OK but I wouldn't suggest 4 adult for the room although depending on what you want to spend and if you aren't too picky it can be done, especially if you are out most of the day enjoying in the beaches and clubs and just using room to pass out LOL.
We had a wonderful week here, I do have to mention the jets who fly past pretty much all day...you do get used to them but they are loud at first when you first arrive and aren't accustomed to them. The up points are the ocean view, the sound of the waves all day and night when you leave the windows open, the convienience of the full kitchen and dishware/appliances the unit has to offer. Everything on the strip is within walking distance even the grocery store..... although walking back with more that one bag of groceries it is best to take a cab which was a $7-8 ride. Front desk staff was very helpful and the resort was clean and we had a very nice experience, would certainly visit this resort again. This resort has two other sister resorts one is way down the strip on the low end around 5th street (I cant remember name, but its where the timeshare presentations are held) and the Atruim which is off the strip. But this one is by far the best.

Room Tip: Rooms are all ocean view no bad ones higher up the better, but thats just preference.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
We are very pleased to hear that our great location and variety of amenities suited your vacation needs. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We hope to see you on your next visit to Virginia Beach.
Fairless Hills, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

had a wonderful trip this year, the front staff was very helpful to all our needs and the little problems we did have were taken care of as quick as possible. Only problem was with the linen(towel) service. Never able to keep up with the demand for towels, and the place wasn't even full. Need to fix that. A far as doing things for yourself, ie: housekeeping I ain't got a problem with that although they will come in and do it if you ask. I also bring my own shampoo and soap, who doesn't on a trip. Overall was very happy with the resort, need to keep improving and renovating the place to bring it back up to Gold Status. Love the little restaurant also, Johnny Mananas. Great place for a Humptini or some top tekillya's

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
OKRMike, Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Our staff thrives on knowing that we enhanced everyone’s vacation experience. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Pay for amenities. Exchange your own towls. Change your own trash and do your own housekeeping. If you stay on the first floor, the front desk chatter echoes down the hall throughout all hours of the night. No hair drier, the wash cloths are faded, shampoo is same consistantsy as the soap. Spider web in the hall. Drunk lady banging on our window when we were relaxing, which a balcony would have prevented. Though not as bad as the drunk that peed in front of our window a previous year.

There aren't any ants or roaches this year. It's clean, not new but clean. Over past ten years haven't found any hidden spy cams in bathroom or bedroom. So its a safe hotel for women and children.

Ten years ago ocean sands was five stars hotel, great housekeeping and even delivered papers to your door. Now the restaurant isn't all that great and the best change they've made is extending pool hours. That is a huge plus having pool open 8-11. But I have better cable at home. Which is where I also have functioning appliances.

Love the view. Staff are friendly. Hotel should consider allowing dogs 50lbs and under.

• Stayed May 2013
OKRMike, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I apologize that we didn’t meet your expectations. Although we have taken great strides at the request of many of our Owners to reduce our effects on the environment, not all of our guests appreciate the extra steps the new programs require. I appreciate your feedback so that we may continually improve our customer’s experience.

Been to Ocean Sands Resort? Share your experiences!