“VSA Resorts - Ocean Sands” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Sands Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2207 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #17 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
Ashland, Virginia, United States
“VSA Resorts - Ocean Sands”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great property .... very nice, friendly staff. The resort is right on the ocean and is conveniently located in the center of VA Beach. Many restaurants /bars all within walking distance. The rooms and common areas were all very clean. We will definately return to this property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Natalie R, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear you had a pleasant stay. I hope you will choose the Ocean Sands Resort when you come back to Virginia Beach.

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I Ispent a week thee in Mid July andfound the plac to be excellent. The service was outstanding, the room was clean and updated, it had flat panel TVs and grea channel selection, and the staff was awesome. You should stay here...... and the lady in charg who helped me Michelle Colson is awesome

Room Tip: Stay here.....eat at the restraunt, go to harpoon larry's a couple blocks over for oysters and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
We appreciate your business and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you next summer in Virginia Beach at the Ocean Sands Resort.
Buena Vista, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We visited Ocean Sands for the first time this year and absolutely loved it. They had family activities planned daily, room was clean and had all items needed to enjoy our vacation. Resort provided discount tickets to the aquarium and to the water park, both of which we took advantage. The elevator was down the day we arrived which was an inconvenience but was fixed the next morning. Employees were assisting those guests checking in with carrying their luggage up flights of stairs. My only recommendations for improvement would be to replace T.V. remotes as 1 of ours only worked half of the time and to improve air flow because the front room was hot. Otherwise, we hated to leave and will definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Ocean Sands Resort for your family vacation. I'm pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to seeing you again next year.
Wellington, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Where do I start? We could not check in until 4 pm (I know that is the time they advertise but almost every place I have been has at least checked me in 1-2 hours in advance even when booked the night before). After finally getting a room we decided to get to bed due to the 11 hour trip and pulled out the couch bed and it had dirty covers already on it with what appeared to be pet hair all over it. Now having to wait so long for a room to be cleaned only to find out it wasn’t-wow. So now we call down to the front desk and have to wait 30 minutes to get someone to come with clean linen. We decide to go ahead and take our showers while waiting and here we go with more issues. We pull back the curtain to find a ring, bath mat which looks like it’s trying to hide more stains, and mold/mildew on the corners of the tub as well. With the tub looking so horrible, the last thing we want is to take a bath but we didn’t have a choice because the drain was clogged. We took the plug out and it still filled up with water and would not drain. We also could not turn the shower on all the way because the shower knob is rusted and just turns and turns with water coming out both ends. The chrome portions in the tub were all rusted out. Once we finished our shower/forced bath, we attempt to lay down to rest. There is a door in between the living room/couch bed and bedroom so we decided to close it for privacy. Wrong choice for whoever is using the couch bed because they started to burn up. Turns out, there are vents on the walls in there but they are not connected to the unit in the bedroom (it’s a single unit like in motels), they are just a fan running. If you turn the unit in the bedroom extra cool to try and compensate for the other room you freeze while in bed because the unit is crammed right next to the bed.
We reported the air conditioning issue and tub clogging to the front desk. They sent a maintenance man to try to fix these issues but he can only do so much because he knows this place is run down and only gets visitors due to the location on the beach, or someone like me who didn’t see any of this detail broken down with the reviews. I took pictures of everything so anyone who is even thinking about wasting your points, weeks, time or money would wake up and head to Comfort Inn next door which was in better shape. The maintenance man was able to change the rusted shower knob but it really didn’t help much, it’s just too old and needs a full makeover.
We started to check out things around the room because I used quite a bit of my points for this week and the room I had seemed like a studio and not a one bedroom. The kitchen area (because it is not a kitchen by any stretch of the imagination) has no oven, only a stove top. The microwave had a short in it so sometimes it would heat the food and other times it didn’t (would count down with the light on like it was working but the plate never started spinning and the food stayed cold). There are no cabinets and when we started looking for things to use we found them where a closet should be with racks hanging off so if you store your suitcases here they will be with the kitchen things (yuk). We decided to stay a couple of nights elsewhere just to get peace of mind and a comfortable bed for the kids to sleep in and I must say it was hard coming back to this place. There are odors in the hallways (smelled like a wet dog and by the laundry room smelled like dog feces), people smoke in the elevators, and even the front lobby had a foul smell most days. Even if you love the water and beach like I do, there is no way I would ever waste my points on a place like this again. Trust me when I tell you, they only give this a Silver Crown rating because it is located on the beach, and because no one is complaining to RCI about how bad this place is. I have stayed in Silver Crown resorts on the beach, as well as a few with no Crown rating and this was by far the worst ever. If it wasn’t for the fact my son was in camp in Chesapeake Virginia the whole week, I would have checked out at 4:30 pm the day I checked in and demanded a refund from RCI. Most people don’t take pictures to validate what they are complaining about and when reading the reviews we tend to think it may just be someone who is hard to please, but with the technology we have there are no excuses. I have pictures to show how this “so called” 1 bedroom looked, as well as all the other discomforts we had to endure during our partial stay. I had to shell out another $400 (on a hotel) to get away for peace of mind which is totally unacceptable when I own a timeshare and spent so many of my points for this trash they call Silver Crown.
NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Stay a block away from the beach or pay more for a 4-5 star hotel, just dont stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
I do apologize your stay was not to standard. It was not to my standards either. Being a silver crown property we strive for perfection and will continue to hold our reputation of this title by guest feedback and proactive improvements. We take all guest feedback in highest consideration and have taken the opportunity to resolve these issues you mentioned. All deficiencies were corrected immediately and can be viewed by the images provided once approved by Tripadvisor. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future.
dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

For any vacation or reservation I live by trip advisor. Reason I make sure I share my experience in hopes it helps someone else with future travel reservation. As much as others pics and reviews helps me.
You Can't believe every negative review. Everyone expectation differs. We are staying at the Ocean Sands with 3kids and 4 adults. I am very impressed with the ocean Sands; despite some of the negative reviews.The check in was easy... Parking was easy.The rooms are clean 4/5. Beds are nice and comfy. The pool is indoor. Most important beach is easily accessible from the hotel.
Hope this helps...

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate your review and hope to see you back at the Ocean Sands Resort on your next vacation to Virginia Beach.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had an excellent holiday, rooms were very clean and very inviting, bed very comfortable,also had a safe in closet, plenty of storage for our stuff. Had lots of hot water, supply shampoo, soap, hair dryer, plenty of towels, go to the 6th floor where the pool is no problem getting clean towels. Also the kitchen, is well equipped, I found that in the pool area their is a sun deck, and little info also they recycle beach items, which is great, i purchased a
beach chair, so before we left I donated it, so someone else can use it, great idea.
The beach is fantastic, so wide, lifeguards are on duty, they are very strict on how far you can go out in the ocean, which i like, it gets quite rough at times, never saw no debri on the beach,plenty of garbage cans around.
We didn't know, until we arrived about the Air Show, that was so much fun, we were honored to
see the Blue Angels, what a FANASTIC show they put on, Virginia Beach really knows how to
party.
Ocean Sands is an ideal location, plenty of restautants, beach stores, also, the Trolley stop
in front, for a very low price one of them will take you shopping to the malls, you can get a pass for a very low cost all.
Before I close I would like to thank the staff, so friendly, and helpful, a great bunch of people, they made you feel so special. We plan on coming back in the near future, definitely stay at the
Ocean Sands.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Thank you for review, we appreciate your positive feedback and hope to see you back at the Ocean Sands Resort on your next vacation.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is the worst ever! Dirty bathroom, toliet take five mins to stop running after flushing! We call down stairs 5 times! Bathroom dirty, cold water not working , air condition not cooling off the hot room, chair missing from table set! People talk in front of our room all night long ! I absolute hate this hotel, it's not a resort, it's a dump!!! Urine smell in the hallway! Never again !!!

• Stayed June 2012
Natalie R, General Manager at Ocean Sands Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I apologize your stay was not to your standards, as it was not to our standards either. Thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention. I do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Been to Ocean Sands Resort? Share your experiences!