“Enjoyed our time.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
dublin, oh
“Enjoyed our time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Since I had read several reviews, I had an idea what to expect. What I did find was a comfortable two room space, with separating door. Was disappointed that the closet had no doors. The staff was very nice. Always had enough towels and cleaning service. We do not need clean sheets every day (do not change sheets every day at home) so I did mention to cleaning staff that they could skip that for a couple of days. The continental breakfast was better than a full service hotel that defines continental as a glass of juice, coffee, and a choice of bread for $12.00, plus tips and delivery charge. Plenty enough for a start of the morning. And very nice that we did not have to purchase milk, cereal, milk,etc.for a 5 day visit. The parking? Give me a break. What is the big deal that you have to cross the street to have covered parking?
Read the reviews and if you need a five star hotel...go somewhere else. We needed two separate rooms and an ocean front room view and everything else that was available was rental from Saturday to Saturday or generally too big. The weather was rather cool when we went, so the ocean front room was great.
Liked the location that seemed less noisy and congested. Loved the boardwalk that we walked every evening.
One thing we were not prepared for was the 11% sales tax in the restaurants.
Other guests were pleasant, the restaurant wait people where nice, and the staff was friendly.
P.S. Jets from close naval station flew overhead daily except for night time.You may want to think about vacation location if you have kids that freak out from loud noises.

Room Tip: We enjoy the higher floors because of views.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your thorough review. We appreciate your comments and your business. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Virginia Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Upon checking in and out the staff was very pleasant and attentive. They explained about the parking and gave us literature about the hotel amenities and the neptune festival. The 2 rooms were spacious. The mini kitchen was ok. The refigerator could have been a little bigger. The bathtub and shower could be redone (a little old and needs work). The TVs are totally outdated. I know most of your time is spent on the beach or walking around town. But at night you need to relax and the TVs are way too OLD!!! Had a great time at the Neptune Festival beause you were far enough away from the bands, but close enough to the attractions. The location afforded you the convenience of resturant and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask from rooms from the 5th floor up and not near the elevator or vending/washer/dryer machines

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your comments and your business and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Virginia Beach!

We realize (and agree) the TV's are out dated. We plan on replacing the bedroom TV this winter and will replace the living room TV next winter along with all the furniture.
Fredonia, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 722. The room had a king size bed. The mattress had to be years and years old-because the support was shot in the middle of the mattress. So, picture this. Wife was lying in the middle (approx. 5'10", 180 lbs., and I was lying on the side next to the window, on a slope-doing everything I could to not roll down to the middle. I'm 5'10", 216. The bathroom could also stand a good cleaning with a bleach solution. There was mold where the bath tub meets the wall. Will seek another hotel with a divided (2 sleeping areas) set up next time.

Room Tip: question them about the age of the mattress in the room you are considering renting.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The number one goal of our hotel is to provide courteous and dependable service, with comfortable and clean accommodations. All at reasonable prices. Consequently, it is disappointing that you were not satisfied. Please accept my apologies.

As far as the mattress goes, we use Serta Quality Sleeper Plush matttesses and this one was brand new in March of 2011. We replace mattresses on a 5-year cycle and generally get rave reviews on the comfort of our mattresses. It sounds to me that something may have been askew with the twin box springs that support the mattress. I wish that you would have said something while you were here, as we certainly could have remedied this situation.
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel for a long weekend at the beach. We spent 3 nights at the Barclay Towers in Virginia Beach in early October 2013, and decided that we will probably never return.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the front desk staff. One member of the staff filed her fingernails while the other scrambled around to answer the phone and check us in. They were courteous, but did not go above and beyond to be welcoming.

Parking consists of a small lot at the hotel, which is full most of the time and parking garage across the street that is shared with the Quality Inn. Parking was free.

Our room consisted of a bedroom with king-size bed, two nightstands, a tiny flat-screen TV, and a closet with no doors. The bedroom was the first room that you enter from the hotel corridor. After passing through the bedroom, the full bathroom was next, followed by the small kitchenette and living room with oceanfront view and balcony. The room seemed mostly clean, just perhaps old and a bit dingy. The TV in the living room was the old-fashioned box kind (no flat-panel), but met our needs. The bed was OK - we are used to a memory foam bed at home, so we both found it a bit hard, but I believe that most people would find the bedding average in comfort.

Two things that we noticed were missing were (1) a luggage rack, and (2) a "Do Not Disturb" sign. We had to put our suitcases on random pieces of furniture to unpack, as there was no luggage rack available. Also, on our first morning there, we had planned to sleep in, but were promptly awakened by banging on our door by the housekeeping staff. My husband kept asking, "WHY is there no DO NOT DISTURB sign?!" Forget sleeping in - especially since the bedroom is closest to the door leading out to the hotel corridor. This also means that if the super-loud A/C isn't blaring, you can hear every ding of the elevator as you lay in bed and attempt to sleep.

All in all, I wish we would have paid the extra $$ to stay at a nicer hotel. I can't say the place was dirty, but it certainly needs some significant updating and creature comforts (such as a luggage rack). The small kitchenette was nice, but I would rather have a "Do Not Disturb" sign.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckingham, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I did like the size of the rooms, two large rooms and a small kitchen. Ideal for kids and parents. Very reasonable price wise.
The check in was easy staff friendly. The breakfast was ok. Nothing great.
Negatives, the smell.. Ugh! It stunk in our room, dirty carpets. Our door even had major paint stripped off of it.
The bathroom was filthy. Caulk stripped, cracks in the wall. It really needed some attention.
Our cleaning woman, who didn't come until after 130-300 each day was very upset with us that we just happened to be in the room. My husband explained to her that we needed a few minutes as I was in the shower. She stared at us, said nothing and walked away.
Once I got the kids out the door and got myself together, she knocked again. I apologized again. Again she just pushed her way in without uttering a word. Either this woman does not speak English, hearing impaired or just plain old rude.
As we were leaving this lovely cleaning woman was so sweet and even offered my son a toy truck. Wish we had her!
Not sure I would stay here again. The area was ok. I would probably stay north at the hilton....

• Stayed September 2013
David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here. Lots and lots of space in the room with a little kitchenette and living area, as well as a balcony. It is right on the beach and close to a bunch of restaurants. There is in fact a hot tub and a pool which are totally usable.Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beach side. Go to Big Sam's for food. Cheap beer, pretty good eats.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting this great review. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Virginia Beach!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Everything at our stay at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel was great. I liked that the rooms which are all oceanfront, they have fully equipped kitchens, comfortable beds, living area that can be closed off from bedroom and two televisions. The hotel is located on the boardwalk and has easy access to the beach. Pool, hot tub and gym area were nice and continental breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2013
David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I'm glad you had an awesome stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Virginia Beach!

Been to Barclay Towers Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!