“Great until the party started” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
AAA Members 10% off rate
Ranked #52 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, Virginia
“Great until the party started”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a relaxing get away. The suties are large, clean and the view from the balcony is wonderful. The indoor hot tub is clean and the indoor pool is warm and relaxing. Unfortunately the bedroom area of the suite is located on the hallway. Anyone coming or going down the hall can be heard clearly. Our original room was across from the elevator. We asked to be moved and the front desk was very accomodating. We were moved to a lovely room at the end of the hall. On Saturday there was a large wedding reception downstairs and the ladies in the room next to us attended. The screaming and laughing lasted until 3:30am even tho we called the front desk and they sent the guard up at 2:30. Based on the profanity used, the guard did not have much luck with the other guests. We were told "sorry we had a lot of wedding stuff going on this weekend" when we checked out. We would not stay here again or recommend this set-up to anyone else.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate your comments and your business! I apologize for the noisy neighbors you had to experience. This is not a common situation here. Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! Whenever you return to Virginia Beach, I hope you would consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here over spring break and had a great experience. The room was clean, the staff was friendly & helpful, and the location was convenient. My kids really enjoyed the pool. I would definately recommend this hotel and plan on going back in the summer.

• Stayed March 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your comments and your business! We look forward to seeing you again this summer.
Henderson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I am an owner and sometimes stay at Barclay during times other than my fixed week. I stayed Sun-Sat prior to Easter. It was terrific. I love the upgrade to the elevator, just make sure you get in quickly since the door closes a little fast. The housekeeping staff was quiet when cleaning the rooms. The desk and maintenance staff was very professional and friendly. Can't wait to go back to VA Beach!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm glad you enjoyed your week at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you, as an owner of Barclay. We look forward to your return visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in April in a cooler time that we had hoped was warmer so we found ourselves using the heat. IT WAS SOOOO LOUD that it was hard to sleep or hear if you were trying to talk while it was running. Our room view was wonderful, our balcony door would not fully close and while we were there it was fairly cold, we had to put couch cushions against it to block the air because my kids were cold. The breakfast is the same every day, some variety would be nice..one elevator was broken the whole 4 days we were there so there was a lot of waiting to to up and down to the room. I wish there were a few empty outlets for a phone charger or anything in the rooms. Coffee in the lobby would be GREAT! Most of the staff were great, I found the breakfast attendant not so friendly. The pool room was so thick with air it is hard to breath and for some reason people allowed their child with ringworm to swim which made my children leave the pool area so we did not get to enjoy the pool very much.
Being a "resort" hotel I guess I expected it to be a bit nicer and higher class than the normal hotel, but it was not bad and it is affordable for the location.

• Stayed April 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I'm glad you (over all) enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate your comments and your business! Whenever you return to Virginia Beach, I hope you will choose to stay at Barclay Towers.
Jackson MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

All of the great one bedroom condos...complete with a kitchen...are oceanfront with either a balcony or patio right on the ocean....they even offer a free extensive continental breakfast with an oceanfront view.....the jacuzzi is also oceanfront and the indoor pool is heated and delightful...This is a real treasure in Virginia Beach!!!!

Room Tip: The higher floors have less noise....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate your comments and your business! We look forward to your return visit.
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was a last minute getaway to VA. Beach for Easter. The Barclay Towers appeared to have everything we were looking for...oceanfront, complimentary breakfast, indoor pool, microwave and frig. The hotel is undergoing renovations, so there is a strong smell of paint, only one working elevator, etc. The room we had must have been hastily painted; there were paint chips & dust everywhere. But you couldn't argue with the view. The breakfast leaves a lot to be desired, but you can cook in your room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. I apologize for the inconveniences you incurred due to our renovations. We do appreciate your comments and your business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! I hope you will choose to stay with us on your next visit.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our family of 4 spent 4 nights here during spring break. The property is on the beach, all rooms are suites with 1 king bed in bedroom and queen sofa in living room. Living room faces the ocean with a balcony. I saw sunrise twice from the living room, amazing. There is a kitchen, 2 TVs, and 2 closets. This year's late March is fairly cold at Virginia Beach, so we didn't do much on the beach, but spend quite some time at the pool. The pool temperature is very nice, approx 89-90F. Jacuzzi is at 102F. Kids thoroughly enjoyed this part of the vacation. Continental breakfast is included. It's decent, besides cereal, danish, bagel, there is also hard boiled egg, yogart, instant oatmeal, and whole fruits. On warmer days, one can sit outside to have breakfast. The parking lot up front is small, so we had to park across the streets a couple of times, but no big deal. It's literally across the street.

There are 2 reasons for taking off a star. First, when the heater kicks on, it is incredibly loud in both the bedroom and living room. So, we had trouble sleeping the first night. Following that, we turned the heater off and asked for extra blankets. That worked out fine. The fridge does make quite some noise if you need to keep it on and if you are sleeping in the living room. But much more tolerable. The other problem is one of the elevator being out of service. There are stairs to take if you are on a lower floor and not carrying luggage. But if you are checking out at 11am and has luggage cart, just get into the elevator regardless of the direction. Or else, you'll never get in.

All in all, it was a good stay. I'll definitely recommend my friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David C, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013

We are currently undergoing an elevator modernization process. This is a once every 25 years upgrade. The first elevator is complete and the second should be complete by the end of April. Is it inconvenient? Yes, definately. Is there any way around this? No, my sincere apologies.

Each individual suite in Barclay Towers has it's own water source heat pump. This allows the occupant to control the temperature with heat, or air conditioning, as the occupant desires. This is a big advantage to our guests comfort. However, the location of the heat pump (bedroom closet) is a big disadvantage, as there is some noise of operation. I apologize to you, although you found a good work around.

We appreciate your suggestions and your business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! I certainly hope that you will stay with us on your return visits.

Been to Barclay Towers Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!