“Great Stay!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
canada
“Great Stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Spent a week at Barclay Towers in October 2012. Room was a great deal. Certainly not 5 star or spectacular, but for an economy hotel, it was certainly adequate. Bed was very comfortable. Kitchen resources were fine. Balcony was a wonderful place to sit for hours and people/wave watch. Location was fairly quiet - the weekends were obviously more crowded and noisy with sea-doo traffic and special events but you have to expect that at a beach. The location was wonderful. Staff were fine and helpful in all regards. I would recommend this to anyone who would like a budget holiday. We would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We certainly appreciate your business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

As a yearly vacationer at VB, this will now be my hotel of choice. The room.....(we have to have a suite) spacious and clean. The elevators...two and worked. The pool....huge warm and clean. The staff.....very friendly. The breakfast.....great unless you are expecting bacon and eggs. Loved the fact the patio stayed available even after breakfast was done, we ordered pizza and ate our lunch there. BEAUTIFUL. Parking wasnt an issue for me, because the parking deck was across the street and i like the fact there was plenty of covered parking there. There is a handicap accessible ramp to the beach, which works great for our beach cart. There is a hose you can use to wash off the sand so you dont have to wait in line at the public one. Honestly, the best place Ive stayed in years. Cant wait to go back again. The summer price will be a little more than Im used to paying but it will be well worth it. Also as a mom who went with just the kids....I felt completely safe in this hotel. Great job barclay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and look forward to seeing your family on your next visit to Virginia Beach!
Stafford, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We are currently staying at Barclay Towers and the first night we were here we had problems. First of all, the cleaning crew forgot to pick up a dirty towel and a used shower cap that was hanging on the back of the bathroom door. There was only one fork in the room, 1 large glass and 2 juice glasses in the cabinet which states the the dishes and utensils have been washed and santized. If that were the case, they would have noticed what was missing and it was not a service for 4 which is what they advertize. The iron was broke. There was no linens for the hideaway bed and the pillowcases were dirty. Also, the safe was locked and we could not store our valuables in it. We informed the clerks and they told us they could not do anything and we would have to contact housekeeping in the morning to resolve these issues. They finally called maintenance after the second time going downstairs to complain about the safe.

The maintenance crew was very helpful and unlocked the safe for us. He even went around and found us some more silverware, brought us some sheets for the hideaway bed and a fresh pillow and pillowcase. We got more out of the maintenance crew than the front desk. He even asked if there was anything else we needed. He was extremely helpful and considerate.

During our second day here, we gave the clerk a list of what problems we had when we checked in the night before. She stated that it would be taken care of and was very helpful. She stated that the linens for the hideaway bed should have been in the closet and was very concerned that they were not here. She apologized for the inconvienence.

Fast forward to this afternoon, my wife tried to inform the housekeeper of the dirty towel and shower cap and she cut her off and said "Yes Yes I know, you need your unit cleaned". We come back later after they had cleaned, and guess what.......the dirty towel and shower cap was still hanging on the bathroom door. I went back downstairs and there was a new crew at the desk, I believe it was the same crew from when we checked in. I gave her the towel and shower cap and stated the this was still left in our room from the previous guest. Her response was (in between her texting and not caring) to call the head of housekeeping in the morning and complain. Also, we still dont have a blanket for the hideaway bed. It was at this point I decided to write this review. You should expect decent service and courtesy when staying at a hotel for the amount of money you are charged. I dont expect 5 star service, but at least expect working appliances and clean linens.

So, tomorrow I will try to speak with the hotel manager about this. I will be staying here until the 18th and hopefully the situation will improve. Hopefully this is just a glitch and it won't impact our decision to stay here again.

Ken Austin

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We spent 4 days at Barclay Towers over the Labor Day weekend. I chose the hotel because it was close to the 5th St stage for the American Music Festival. The location was great and we were able to enjoy the beach and the music festival all weekend.
The staff was very nice and helpful. We arrived a bit early and our room was ready! Our room was clean and we had plenty of blankets and pillows. Water pressure was great in the shower and we never had a problem with the ice machines.

We tried the breakfast one morning and it was horrible so we cooked in our room the remainder of our stay. I brought my daughter swimming in the pool a few times and it was out of pool towels every-time. The pull out sofa bed was very uncomfortable and I would recommend bringing an air mattress and not use the pull out. The air conditioner works well but is very loud when it's running and the rooms are a bit dated. The elevator can be slow during busy times and the stair well is very dirty and lets you out in the front of the property. I was concerned because the stairwell door to the outside was unlocked (we checked when we walked down the stairs).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate your suggestions and your business!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Staff is unhelpful and rooms look like they are from the 70's. One of the nights I informed the front desk one of the guests was double parked and they did nothing about it even though I paid just as much as them I had to park across the street. Also I would go somewhere else for breakfast because theirs is not very complimentary.

• Stayed September 2012
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.
Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wish there was a 3+ rating. I would say Barclay is better than '3' and not quite '4'. For the VA Beach area this is a good place to stay, we stayed in worse for the same money last year so overall it was a better experience. You are close to main events, right on the beach and every room has a beautiful ocean view. Our room was a large suite with a nice kitchenette which is extremely convenient particularly if you want to spend the day on the beach without dragging a big cooler down with you. The air conditioning was thankfully ice cold and the impressive thing about the room was that although we were right on top of the main stage for the American Music Festival, you could not hear a thing at night once the balcony door was closed. So you will get a peaceful night's rest. Parking is a little tough as the lot is small however they provide for overflow parking nearby. The bed was quite comfortable, however I will say the hotel could use some updating and the elevator is slow as molasses. I realize that properties at any beach take a beating with the sand and salt although we did see some basic housekeeping 'opportunities' such as mold in the shower head and the bed sheets seemed a bit worn. There are laundry facilities on site and a basic breakfast available, but no restaurant in the hotel. Staff were all pleasant enough. There is decent wifi available and a wide variety of cable channels for no extra fee. The hotel also has a computer downstairs if you flew in and need to print a boarding pass, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andover, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We returned from a 7 day stay at the Barclay Towers.

First off the place is in a fantastic location, gorgeous beach 50 feet away!
Bathroom fixtures and Kitchen appliances were darn near brand new.
Staff was super friendly, pool was nice. From our ocean front balcony we were able to watch a Surfing event and a Music Festival from the comforts of our room, It was fantastic.

We did not partake in the continental breakfast, we used our kitchen everyday for breakfast which was nicely stocked. The bed was very good, and comfy enough for us. We had a great experience in Virginia Beach thanks in large part to the Barclay Towers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and hope to see you on your next visti to Virginia Beach.

Been to Barclay Towers Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!