“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Islip
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I used the reviews on TripAdvisor to book this hotel for my trip. The hotel was clean and provided most of the necessities I needed. I found the staff helpful and friendly. The room was clean. The only things I found inconvenient was 1. housekeeping never left cups 2. housekeeping never left a bag for the ice bucket 3. housekeeping was very stingy on leaving soap (only one small bar) 4. there was a coffee pot, but no coffee-. the restaurant did not open until 8am which left me having to wait for coffee or refridgerating a cup of 7-11 coffee to microwave in the morning. I would definitely stay here again but would bring my own cups, soap and coffee. I found the location of the hotel very convenient and every room had a view of the beach. We were on the 8th floor and my kids loved the view.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Loved the view of the beach and boardwalk from the room and balcony. Nice and helpful front desk staff. Cleaning lady was nice too. Location at 20th street was a great spot on the boardwalk. Central to several pavilions with free live music or shows every evening through Beach Street USA programming. Bike path along boardwalk great. Walk or bike everywhere. Never had to move car. 2 room unit is nice for families, even though the door between the 2 rooms does not lock. The negatives were only that the place has a low budget feel. Sheets were so, so thin and had small stains (on multiple beds' sheets), blankets were rough, towels very thin, bathtub had rust on the bottom exterior, no coffee in room (buy your own coffee supplies or go down for a cup (no lid) in the AM, no decaf or tea). When we first walked in, wall lamps were crooked. Old dirty sock and can of sunscreen under the bed. Also maid service was sub par. Beds looked hastily made, counter and table were not wiped off (but we were not given any kitchen towel to wipe it ourselves), wet washcloths hanging on top of curtain rod not taken, plastic bag in ice bucket not changed. Maid was really nice, but clearly needs to spend more time in each room. Honestly if the sheets were more comfortable I could look past the rest for the good price. If the Capes Hotel seriously upgraded their bedding and improved the thoroughness of the cleaning service then I'd stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
gmcapes, Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At The Capes, we always aim to ensure every guest feel welcomed and has a pleasant stay. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our excellent oceanfront location, value for the dollar, and the view of the beach. I must apologize for housekeeping staff which certainly appeared to be lacking based on your comments. I do not have a record of any housekeeping issues in our log. If we only had been aware of these issues we could have corrected them immediately while you were in house. I have also addressed your experiences with each department manager for training purposes and to make the necessary corrections. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Glassport, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed at the Capes for 5 days in July 2013. We go to VA Beach every year but this is the first time staying at the Capes. We stayed on the 6th floor, which was a bit high for me, but other than that the hotel was great, staff was super friendly and the place was very clean. We stayed on the side that does not overlook the patio. Friends of ours came along and stayed in a suite which they liked but they were on the 3rd floor, so they were right above the patio, they did not like that. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone who wants a nice place at a decent price or at least comparable to other prices at the beach. There were places that cost the same or more that were dirty and/or were not beach front. ~~ Dodi

Room Tip: Make sure you're not too high up, it gives you a better view if you're on the 3rd floor, but...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Southwest Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The balcony oceanfront view was the best part of this room. The room was clean. The friendly accommodating staff made the stay very pleasant. The hotel was clean, parking was easy, wifi was good. The only thing I think should be changed is for the price of this hotel room, they should provide in the kitchen, plastic forks and spoons, plates, etc. and bigger towels and more towels. Other than those few things, I recommend this hotel as the place to stay when visiting Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach is an excellent place to vacation.

Room Tip: The 8th floor is the best for oceanfront views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hartville, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Capes Hotel is the Best place to stay in Virginia Beach. The people who work there are the friendliest and so helpful also. They can tell you about restaurants from Pizza to good seafood places. All rooms are oceanfront and have private balconies. We were there in May and are planning to go back in Sept. We meet the nicest couples there. If you want to stay in to eat they have a Café right there in the Hotel called The Hidden Pearl. Good food!! We have been there before and always go back. A very nice place right in the middle of everything.

Room Tip: The views from the Private balconies are great, even if it might rain one day!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
East Haven, Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We travel to Virginia Beach about 7 times a year for vacations and mini get aways. The Capes Hotel is the Only Hotel we book. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are in the process of being updated. It is clean but not over the top decorated, etc. but you are not staying in your room all day. The rugs are a bit worn but not bad compared to some other hotels we've stayed in. It is close to a lot of good restaurants, music stages, etc. without you being kept up all night by noise. (We actually sleep with out balcony door open and are lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves lapping at the shore). It is a safe area, too. Parking is available at hotel front on at lot across the street. They do have a fridge, coffee maker and microwave but you need to bring your own supplies (coffee, sugar, utensils, bowls, etc) if you want to cook. YOU are on vacation.... besides microwave popcorn, don't cook.. There are plenty of nice restaurants on the boardwalk or across the street, and most not too pricey either. A lot of places will deliver to your room, too. Free WIFI. They are cautious not to let Unregistered Guests just walk thru or hang around the lobby. Don't overlook this hotel based on reviews alone. Believe me, there are a lot of Nightmare Hotels in Virginia Beach. This is a Dream by comparison .....

Room Tip: Ask for a High Floor as the view is spectacular.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksburg, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I wanted to like this property because the Staff were so nice to me. I messed up the reservation and they were awesome...I got there tired and exhausted and the lady at desk was so nice. When we checked out we needed about a half hour extra (traveling with a child that had a cast on his leg) and they were so nice about it. I really appreciated their kindness.

However, the property really needs some work. The carpets are worn ( i know sand eats them up), the hallways are not air conditioned, the hvac tubes are exposed in ceiling in hall, room had a weird rotten washcloth smell that we discovered came from both air conditioners, air cond was insanely loud , can not sit on balcony without turning off air cond or it is loud outside also (and makes room hot), towels super small (I get that they don't want them going to beach but if your going to make them small you need to give twice as much). I guess you are paying for the view and maybe the bed in the living room. Unfortunately, the pictures look better than the hotel (not resort...are there rules on what you can call a resort?) The pool is indoor but small. The children had fun in it. Maybe I am too picky but I was disappointed after seeing the pictures online.

Location is kind of cool in that right across the street the city has acrobats doing a show every night. The kids LOVED that.

Again I want to say that the staff was very nice and I really wanted to like the property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
gmcapes, Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback. There is nothing more valuable than our guest’s reviews, thus we take these comments very seriously. I am sorry that you are under the impression that the hotel is not as portrayed online. We have a lot of pride in our property therefore we strive to give our potential guests a true feel of what we have to offer and what their experience will entail. Our pictures on our website as well as our face book page are current images of our rooms and were just taken less than 3 months ago. As far as the air conditioners are concerned, all rooms have individual ptac units which are self contained. These units do vent to the outside on the balconies. I will have maintenance check the unit for excessive noise and a strange odor as you described. I'm glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and oceanfront location and your kids loved the pool. Please give us another chance to not only meet, but exceed your expectations for accommodations and service. Again, we appreciate your comments, and hope to see you again soon!

Been to Capes Hotel? Share your experiences!