“The Capes Hotel ---- was Great” 4 of 5 stars

2001 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #24 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hartville, Ohio, United States
“The Capes Hotel ---- was Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Capes Hotel is the Best place to stay in Virginia Beach. The people who work there are the friendliest and so helpful also. They can tell you about restaurants from Pizza to good seafood places. All rooms are oceanfront and have private balconies. We were there in May and are planning to go back in Sept. We meet the nicest couples there. If you want to stay in to eat they have a Café right there in the Hotel called The Hidden Pearl. Good food!! We have been there before and always go back. A very nice place right in the middle of everything.

Room Tip: The views from the Private balconies are great, even if it might rain one day!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
East Haven, Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We travel to Virginia Beach about 7 times a year for vacations and mini get aways. The Capes Hotel is the Only Hotel we book. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are in the process of being updated. It is clean but not over the top decorated, etc. but you are not staying in your room all day. The rugs are a bit worn but not bad compared to some other hotels we've stayed in. It is close to a lot of good restaurants, music stages, etc. without you being kept up all night by noise. (We actually sleep with out balcony door open and are lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves lapping at the shore). It is a safe area, too. Parking is available at hotel front on at lot across the street. They do have a fridge, coffee maker and microwave but you need to bring your own supplies (coffee, sugar, utensils, bowls, etc) if you want to cook. YOU are on vacation.... besides microwave popcorn, don't cook.. There are plenty of nice restaurants on the boardwalk or across the street, and most not too pricey either. A lot of places will deliver to your room, too. Free WIFI. They are cautious not to let Unregistered Guests just walk thru or hang around the lobby. Don't overlook this hotel based on reviews alone. Believe me, there are a lot of Nightmare Hotels in Virginia Beach. This is a Dream by comparison .....

Room Tip: Ask for a High Floor as the view is spectacular.
Clarksburg, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I wanted to like this property because the Staff were so nice to me. I messed up the reservation and they were awesome...I got there tired and exhausted and the lady at desk was so nice. When we checked out we needed about a half hour extra (traveling with a child that had a cast on his leg) and they were so nice about it. I really appreciated their kindness.

However, the property really needs some work. The carpets are worn ( i know sand eats them up), the hallways are not air conditioned, the hvac tubes are exposed in ceiling in hall, room had a weird rotten washcloth smell that we discovered came from both air conditioners, air cond was insanely loud , can not sit on balcony without turning off air cond or it is loud outside also (and makes room hot), towels super small (I get that they don't want them going to beach but if your going to make them small you need to give twice as much). I guess you are paying for the view and maybe the bed in the living room. Unfortunately, the pictures look better than the hotel (not resort...are there rules on what you can call a resort?) The pool is indoor but small. The children had fun in it. Maybe I am too picky but I was disappointed after seeing the pictures online.

Location is kind of cool in that right across the street the city has acrobats doing a show every night. The kids LOVED that.

Again I want to say that the staff was very nice and I really wanted to like the property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
gmcapes, Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback. There is nothing more valuable than our guest’s reviews, thus we take these comments very seriously. I am sorry that you are under the impression that the hotel is not as portrayed online. We have a lot of pride in our property therefore we strive to give our potential guests a true feel of what we have to offer and what their experience will entail. Our pictures on our website as well as our face book page are current images of our rooms and were just taken less than 3 months ago. As far as the air conditioners are concerned, all rooms have individual ptac units which are self contained. These units do vent to the outside on the balconies. I will have maintenance check the unit for excessive noise and a strange odor as you described. I'm glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and oceanfront location and your kids loved the pool. Please give us another chance to not only meet, but exceed your expectations for accommodations and service. Again, we appreciate your comments, and hope to see you again soon!
Waldwick, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We took a chance and saw all the great reviews from tripadvisor so we booked. It is in a good location along the main area and the rooms do all have an ocean view. Glad we were only there a couple of nights, my family of 4 would not have survived a week. The room was small and so were the beds. The hotel can use some updating; paint, carpeting, furniture, towels and most importantly the ac system. The AC was so noisy that you would rather sweat then have to listen to it at night. The room came with a coffee pot but no coffee. Someone said they probably have it at the front desk, but we didn't want to ask the guy any again. The one day we asked a question at the front desk, the guy who worked there went on and on about all the security cameras and how President Obama was going to watch all the footage after his presidency. I wish he just answered my question and I didn't have to listen to his politics.

Plus I can't remember the last time I checked into a hotel with a page long list of instructions, like Max 2 keys per room, if you lose one it will cost you a $1 to replace it and that both had to be handed in when you checked out.
The other rule is if there is something on the bed housekeeping won't touch it. We left my son's stuffed animal and his blanket on the bed when we went to breakfast. Didn't think they would be through yet, but when we got back we noticed new towels and soap that is the only way we knew housekeeping was even there. The one bed wasnt touched.

Parking was also an issue. They have some spots in front and just next door, but if you get back late you have to park across the street behind some buildings. Not easy when you have a sleeping child and when they close a bunch of streets off for night time entertainment. I wasn't comfortable leaving our car there. The good news is that we did see a lot of police around on bike, car, horse and motorcycle. Fortunately there was no problem

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
gmcapes, Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We pride ourselves on our customer service - which is evident by the majority of our reviews - so I cannot apologize enough that you feel you received sub-par service! We also pride ourselves in having clean comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price and are fortunate to have over an 85% return guest rate. I'm glad that you enjoyed your our central location and excellent ocean view. To address your concerns, housekeeping is instructed not to move personal belongings off any bed so they are accidentally misplaced or disturbed, I do agree a blanket should have been moved if that was the only item on your one bed, this will be addressed with our executive housekeeper. Complimentary coffee is served every morning in the lobby area and in room coffee is available at the desk upon request. The Capes is fortunate to have 4 parking lots, the majority of our cars can conveniently park close to our main entrance, however when we are at 100% occupancy some of our guests may have to utilize our overflow lot directly across the street less than one block away. We certainly hope that you will return and give us another chance to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is our main concern.
Sellersburg, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Went to VA Beach without a reservation and had the wonderful luck to come across this hotel! Quiet, elegant, reasonable, good location and friendly staff. Can't say enough good things about the front desk clerk, Christina! After actually being laughed at in one of the big chain hotels when we asked about a room, we found Christina to be a friendly, helpful and all around huge asset to this hotel! The hotel is well located, quiet and clean. Our room was oceanfront with a balcony (I believe all the rooms are) with a fridge and microwave. Bathroom was small, but very functional and quite adequate. We ended up staying an extra night (total of 4 nights) and really enjoyed every moment of it. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Seventh floor has ice machine and coin-op laundry.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I chose Capes Hotel as a weekend getaway for my boyfriend and I this past weekend. I did a ton of research and based my decision on price, location, and the reviews of other travelers here on tripadvisor. Compared to other hotels in the area, Capes seemed like a steal! We arrived early on a Thursday, but decided to check in anyway since we drove and wanted to let them know that we had our car parked out front. Simple check-in. The guy at the front was pleasant. The parking lot was great and there seemed to be another parking lot just next door for overflow. The room obviously wasn't ready yet (we arrived around 10:30am). So we decided to get some breakfast and kill time before we were called.

The room was clean and a good size. Don't expect the Hilton or the Marriott. You definitely get what you pay for, but it isn't a motel 6 either. We had an ocean view with a balcony, which was awesome.

The next day, we were hanging out in the room (it was a cloudy, rainy day) and someone walks in. I ask them what they wanted and said that this was my room. He didn't introduce himself or anything, he just said "Rose! This is the wrong floor! Sorry!" I thought this was weird and was nervous about another guest having the hotel key to our room. I called the front desk, and the guy assured me that it was the maintenance man that walked into the wrong room and was very apologetic. But, get this!! That afternoon, as we are walking to the hotel from the boardwalk, I look up and notice the same guy and his wife/gf/partner sitting on their patio, just below ours!!! But I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, so I didn't. The guy at the front desk obviously lied to me. And I don't know how another guest would have access to my room with their key.

Moving on...I'm not sure how much cleaning was done by housekeeping. The bed was made, there were fresh towels, and that was it. The counter top wasn't cleaned because there the sand that was there when we left in the morning was still there when we got back. Whatever, no big deal.

We check out that Sunday. I call the front desk to see if we can extend our checkout time to an hour later. She said "No, the room needs to be cleaned for the next guest." She double checked to see if there was someone checking in later that day. I ask her, "Even for an hour? It's been raining all weekend, and there is finally some sun. We just want to stay an hour longer." She replies, "I'm sorry. It's like when you came in yesterday and you wanted to check in early too." I said, "I've actually been here since Thursday. But thanks anyway." I would only assume that any guest would expect to be able to check in, at the latest, the check-in time of 4pm...5 hours after check out time. This was strike 3 for us.

For the price and the location, this would've been our go-to spot. But for the service and cleanliness and the sanity of knowing that random people won't walk into my room, we'd rather spend $50 more per night and stay somewhere else. It was worth the try, Capes!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gmcapes, General Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your views about your stay on Tripadvisor both the positive and the negative, it gives us an opportunity to review where we are doing well and where we need to improve. I'm sorry to hear about the cleanliness issue with your room. I completely agree with you this was not up to our standards. I will review your information with my housekeeping team so we can avoid another guest having the same issue in the future. Late check outs are not always possible, it all depends on our arrivals for the day. Whenever possible we will allow a late check out, however if the room is reserved for another guest arriving the same day we will not allow a late check out, this way our housekeeping team will have adequate time to clean the room before our scheduled check in time. I am interested in further discussing someone entering your room as you described, this is truly a first and I would be interested in hearing additional information, If you have time to chat please contact me at 757-428-5421. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and please give us the chance to prove to you our commitment to exceed your expectations. We hope to have you as a guest again if your travels bring you back into the area.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just stayed a week in June and the place is great. Deceiving from the back from the beach - the outside does it no justice. We jumped on a value week and the price for the stay was great - cheapest we ever stayed at VB. Desk people are very nice and helpful and although we didn't get housekeeping they gave us anything we needed or asked for. We were on the 8th floor - great being on the top - view is wonderful!
The art show was going on so that was a bonus to our stay. Great works of art along with good food vendors with them.
Room was clean, bathroom small but the plus was the sink and counter were seperate from the toilet/shower.
Parking was no problem because they have a lot right next door along with front hotel parking.
We didn't go in the pool but looked fine - a little on the small side and indoors.
The downstairs restaurant is great - look for their $1.88 Bloody Mary's everyday, all day. The people running the restaurant are really nice - we stopped in several times during the week. Only ate their once but it was also good. I believe it was called "The Hidden Gem".
I think the only "con" was the air conditioner is placed right next to the bed and blows directly at you.
We try to come every summer for a week to a Virginia Beach and this will be our "go" to place from now on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Capes Hotel? Share your experiences!