“Not bad, needs some work.” 4 of 5 stars

The Breakers Resort Inn
1503 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #30 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Hanover
“Not bad, needs some work.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Old establishment that could use some work. Clean and in a good location. Friendly people and family owned. Tiny pool and fair balcony. The railings actually obstructed the view. Roman's are larges and fully equipped.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were there in the end of April. The weather was cold and rainy but it was still quite a great trip! We didn't check in until after midnight and the guy at the front desk was very pleasant and moved our room to a higher floor. The hotel is right on the beach by the pier and is in a good location. The resort is very reasonably priced. Though due to the weather we didn't get to use it, the pool area looked clean and the pool was heated.

Don't skip breakfast!!! The breakfast was so yummy and very reasonably priced. Jimi, the waitress, is a lot of fun and had my coffee ready for my boyfriend to pick up every morning! She even came in early on Monday so she could see us off. Don't hesitate to ask her about the area either she will give you good local tips!

Only complaints would be the door to the balcony whistled very loudly and we had to rig it with a plastic bottle to sleep as the sound was irritating. Also, it's clearly an older hotel and you can hear the plumbing throughout. I honestly have to nit pick to complain about this place!!

We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor for a great view of the sunrise!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

well, yet another wonderful stay here at the Breakers! we usually visit in october, but went in april (25-29) so we could partake in the she-crab soup festival. our room was ready and waiting and our favorite one :o) everything sparkled and all of the staff welcomed us as 'family'! there was quite a bit of chaos in virginia beach on april 27, but we were never in any danger at all because of diligent security who worked through the night including the guys on night shift! we didn't hear anything up on the 9th floor! we dined in the cafe every morning for breakfast and had Mac's delicious home fries (did i mention the best of anywhere?) and jimmy and trixie stayed busy helping all of us tourists! thanks to mr. & mrs. jimmy capps, mr. & mrs. brad capps, david and david, craig and forget the other guys name....oops....for making our probably 18th year at the Breakers so much fun at our favorite beach on the east coast!

Room Tip: heated pool year round. and if you want to see all of the beach, ask for a south beach room. we love...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We chose The Breakers because we liked the idea of having a 2 room suite with an adjoining room and the price was unbeatable. We stayed for 4 days and the oceanfront balcony was wonderful. The staff was friendly and very accomodating when I had to get my room key reset TWICE due to putting it in the same pocket as my cell phone. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable enough. I'm partial to my own bed so hotel beds don't normally do it for me but we slept well in spite of it being a little firm for my liking. I was worried about the reviews I read pertaining to the slow elevator but maybe because we stayed in April that wasn't ever a problem. We never waited long for it and it gets you to your floor quickly. Parking can be a little tight but it is a hotel at the beach so that happens. You have to buy breakfast but we chose to cook in our room since we had a kitchen but there are plenty of places to eat nearby with varying price ranges. In the middle of the night a couple nights there was a little noise from someone going up or down the stairs which were near our room but that wasn't a big problem either. Just sounded like someone coming from a club or something but it was only for a minute. The a/c unit is a bit loud at times and maybe needs to be replaced or serviced but it worked. We actually debated on asking someone to check it or to move to a different room but we decided it wasn't that much of an issue and dealt with it. For the money we don't really have a ton of complaints. We will definitely stay there again when we go to visit our granddaughter!

Room Tip: Ask for adjoining rooms if traveling with a lot of family members so everyone is close or you can op...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
breakersvb, General Manager at The Breakers Resort Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind words; we appreciate your staying with us and we look forward to your family returning. On your next visit please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if there is anything that is not working properly in your room. We have replacement AC’s and other items on property to have your room properly outfitted as quickly as we can.
frankinton, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed one night, April 2, 2013. The front deck night and day clerks wre very nice And very helpful. The rooms were nicely kept, clean and presentable. The murphy bed in the livingroom was relatively comfortable, a little firm. The bedroom bed was a little hard, a pillowtop wouopd be an upgrade. For the beach, it was very adaquate.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room they are bigger.
Topeka, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and had my family come visit me while I was there; my sister and her two children ages 5 and 7. I DO NOT recommend this hotel to families traveling with children under any circumstances! My niece and nephew love to ride their razor scooters everywhere we go so naturally they brought them along. After a long day at the beach and walking down the boardwalk we came back to the hotel property to the parking garage so that my sister could put their scooters back in the trunk of the car and I went up to my room to grab something while my sister and the kids waited outside for me. My nephew was riding his scooter near the entrance to the garage while his mother watched when a hotel employee came out screaming at them that they were trespassing, no skateboarding was allowed, and that he would have her arrested in front of her children if they didn't get off his property! First off my nephew wasn't being a nuisance and they weren't loitering, second he is 5 and on a scooter- not a teenager on a skateboard, and most importantly there were no signs posted that even skateboarding wasn't allowed and they WERE NOT trespassing, I was a guest at the hotel and they were my guests!!! When I came down I was furious and happy to be checking out the next morning, how horrible do you have to be before you realize no one is going to patronize your establishment? I will never recommend this hotel and hope that no one has the displeasure of being threatened with arrest by these ignorant owners.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
breakersvb, General Manager at The Breakers Resort Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We are a family owned and operated hotel with a history of being family friendly. We have been in business for over 30 years and have many repeat customers who in some cases are second and third generation guests. This was an isolated incident by an employee who overreacted and for that we apologize. We do have several "No Skatebording" signs posted as well as the City of Virginia Beach has an ordinance prohibiting skateboarding in the resort area. The ramps for our parking garage and deck can sometimes be inviting to skateboarders which can be a safety issue for both the skateboarders and our guests. This is a regrettable incident and could have been handled in a better manner.
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed for an extended weekend in VB. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were nice but do need some updating. The hotel has all rooms with balconys overlooking the ocean which was very nice and you can't beat the price.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer less boardwalk noise, the 2 room suite is very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Breakers Resort Inn? Share your experiences!