“Disgusting!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Utah
“Disgusting!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

After staying at this hotel we will never visit Virginia Beach again. Although the price was "affordable" for our large family it was a complete waste of money. It had only one very slow and dirty elevator for the entire place--it was also the service elevator. As we opened the room (a "mini-suite") it smelled bad--I mean each child said something as they came in, and we were greeted by a 3 foot long tear in the carpet; no need to worry, it was kind of duct taped on one section. The microwave and mini fridge were dirty and there was no light over the kitchenette sink. Upon entering the bathroom, we were greeted with a dirty bathtub; so I washed it. The room was Non-smoking and smelled badly of smoke. It was no wonder; there were cigarette burns all over the bathtub and the sink--the sink even had a sign that said "please don't put your ashes in the sink". But to top it off, the 2nd day we were there, we were commanded by the "cleaning crew" to leave so they could clean up--while they smoked cigarettes the entire time! I literally checked the "non-smoking" sign on the hotel room door to see if it was magnetic and they just moved the sign to any room that was booked as "non" smoking!
As we went from room to room we noticed as we touched the door knobs they were all sticky..Serious! I went out and bought some bleach at a grocery store so we could wash all surfaces before we did anything else.
The first night we looked for the bedding to go on the hide-a-way sofa bed and actually found it....literally wadded up and stuffed in the closet--do we dare think it clean? I think we took a sheet off of our bed to put on it for the kids--not that that was a guarantee. After unfolding the sofa bed we were greeted by the last occupants' beer caps falling out of the bed, not to mention popcorn or something else. uuuaachkkk! The bed in the "master suite" looked comfy and as we turned down the covers we were greeted by garbage between the headboard and the mattress.
Oh but the view! We were on a top floor (7th) and had a wonderful view of the Atlantic ocean! Let's go on the balcony! Hmmmm. Never mind; the railing is rusting everywhere there is a connection to affix it to anything, and wobbled. The holey, warped and weathered splintery plywood barrier between the next door unit didn't quite comfort me either. Not to mention that it didn't keep the cigarette smoke from coming from their NON-smoking room into our room when trying to get some fresh cool sea breeze blowing through. The carpet was stained and filthy--just look at your socks! Stop! don't let the baby crawl on the floor!
It was very nice, however, having an on-site laundry 2 floors down. If only they worked! After loading 1.50 into one machine it didn't work. So I got my money back and put it in the other machine. Ooops. we forgot to tell you that the other washer doesn't work very well on the spin cycle--like not at all. I think the dryer worked. Oh yea, it did; one of our kids left a blue crayon in their pants and all the clothes got huge blue streaks--just a perfect ending and reminder of our stay at VA Beach Travelodge!
Now you ask, "Why didn't you just check out?" Well, we're not terribly experienced travelers and we had to pre-pay the hotel at booking to get the advertised price...so we felt stuck...we had no room in our budget for other lodging. We are land-lubbers from the intermountain west and couldn't believe the price offered by the ocean-view hotel. We are now forever skeptical of such "deals."

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The filth!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Harrisburg, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

There are 3 different Travelodge's in Virginia Beach and my review is in reference to the Travelodge at 1909 Atlantic Ave.
I found this hotel while searching online, after the price had changed on the room I originally had reserved at the Holiday Inn on 21st street. All the pictures online made the hotel look great for the money but once we got there, nothing was as I had expected.
There were water spots on the ceiling where there had been leakage, and that was just the lobby. There are 8 floors and one elevator, which travels slow and only has a maximum capacity of 6 people.
When we (myself, my husband and 3 children) finally arrived in our room, we found that it had not been cleaned yet; even after I had requested an early check-in but had to arrive later anyway due to highway traffic. So, I went back to the front desk to let them know the room was a mess. They gave me another room which would have been perfect if it werent so damp and foul smelling. Exhausted, we decided we'd try to deal with it, just go and get air freshener and leave the balcony door open to air it out. When my husband opened the balcony door, the ceiling tile shifted a bit and water started to leak through... He reached up to check the ceiling tile and water started pouring out. So again, my soaked husband and I, kids in tow, went back to the front desk to alert them about the waterfall in the room.
The two desk clerks were very helpful, however, the hotel manager was somewhat resistant. He and my husband went back upstairs to the room so he could see the leak and find us another room. While waiting for their return, other guests of the hotel who had also just checked in were returning to the desk to complain about food on the floor in the hallways, the rooms not being properly cleaned, if at all, etc.
So finally, my husband and the manager returned after they moved us to a new room. The "new" room was clean and did not have an odor. The only thing wrong with this room (other than the fact that we could hear every time the person next door ran water or flushed the toilet) was that the remotes to the two TV's did not work. The only thing the manager would give up for our trouble was $10 off the cost of our two-night stay and my husband had to talk him into that. Otherwise, we'd have gotten nothing.
In the meantime, since we were trapped in this basement of a hotel, (every other hotel in the surrounding area was booked), I felt compelled to send a review directly to Travelodge... But I never heard anything from them. Needless to say, we wont be staying there again.

• Liked — Prime beachfront location. All the rooms faced the ocean.
  • Disliked — It was dirty and the manager didnt care.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

How this hotel remains open is beyond me. The rooms were dirty and falling apart. Duct tape was holding the carpet together in the sitting area and the tiles in the bathroom were falling apart.
The pictures on the walls had slime on the glass. There were two holes in the walls that had not been repaired properly and were falling apart.

We found food under the bed and behind the bed side table, which we had to move to get the telephone to work.

I called Travelodge corporate and gave them a list of everything that was wrong and informed them that this place was giving them a bad reputation. Never heard back from them and they informed me that each one is indepently owned so although they had standards there wasn't much they could do to make sure they were followed.

After staying here I can only think that the positive reviews are left by the owners or employees. You would have to be crazy to come up with anything positive to say about this place!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed November 2007
Hampton, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

Booked this room because I wanted a king-sized bed, a balcony overlooking the ocean, free internet, continental breakfast, and the free daily newspaper, for the best price. The bedspread on the bed smelled like a dirty dog had been on it, and like it hadn't been washed in a while. In fact, the room had so much dust in it that I sneezed for the first ten minutes. The toilet made an awful sound when flushed. I had to get a box in order to be able to connect to the internet (not wireless on all floors), and this wasn't available until Day 2 of my four-day stay. There was no free newspaper. When I turned on the AC, there was an awful urine smell, so I didn't use it most of the time. Thankfully, I didn't need it, because the temperature was moderate. However, housekeeping turned it on when they came in, so when I returned from class, the room smelled like urine, and was cold. When I checked out, there were computer problems, so I ended up being charged FOUR TIMES instead of one. When I discovered this, I immediately called the front desk, and they acted like it was my fault that they charged me four times! I definitely won't stay here again, and would not recommend it, even for $55.99 a night. It will probably be Monday before my account is credited for the extra charges they put on it, and I checked out Friday morning. They honestly didn't seem concerned about the aggravation they caused me.

Front Royal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in spite of the reviews I had read...big mistake! We booked our room over a month in advance and requested a non-smoking room; we were assigned a smoking room and were told that there were no more non-smoking rooms. No refund available, sorry...The elevator was very small and very slow. Only one elevator for the hotel and it was used by guests and housekeeping. The lock on the door to the balcony did not work (we noticed that the room next to us had the same problem...The wireless internet did not work; we had to get a box to be able to use the internet and that stopped working, too. Continental breakfast consisted of some stale doughnuts and muffins and juice. They didn't even have coffee one morning and we did not receive the newspaper we were supposed to get...The shower drain did not work the first day, so we showered in 3 inches of water. They did fix that ASAP for us...

I will not stay in this hotel again...Even for a good deal $$-wise, it was not the best stay I have had...

• Liked — price was reasonable
  • Disliked — quality of room and amenities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Providence, RI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

So I read the reviews but decided to give it a shot anyway... When we got there the hotel seems pretty decent, and then room seemed clean and looked nice.

The bad parts:
1. The bathroom was pretty gross and small... good thing I brought extra sandals I could shower in.

2. The deadbolt did not work on the door and neither did the top lock... the balcony door lock did not work either, and there was no door handle on the outside to get back in.. someone on the inside had to open for you, or you had to leave something in the door.. with 2 girls alone, no deadbolt was not a nice thought.

3. The thing that made me leave--- we sat on the beds for maybe 30 minutes and then decided to go outside.. when we got out there both my friend and I had bites ALL over our legs.. they had BED BUGS!!!!!!!!! We immediately went to another hotel to see if they had rooms avail.. and thank god they did. We went back to check out of the nasty hotel and they were not suprised. Don't get stuck with room 313.. maybe others are better, but not this one.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Martinsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

Please DO NOT pay attention to the negative reviews. I booked this hotel after reading only a few reviews and then I started reading the really negative stuff and got worried. I decided to go ahead and keep the reservation. When we got there, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We stepped into a very clean and tidy room. We requested a crib for my 1 yr old son and it was brought up immediately. I honestly think that some of the bad reviews were just people expecting too much...Yes, the bathroom was small, but it was clean and served it's purpose. Yes, the door to the balcony was metal with a deadbolt, but the rest of the wall was a window out onto the oceanfront. The cleaning staff came everyday and gave clean towels and vaccuumed. I would definately stay here again and reccommend it to friends.

• Liked — It was right in the middle of Beach Street!
  • Disliked — nothing really bad about the experience.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelodge Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!