After staying at this hotel we will never visit Virginia Beach again. Although the price was "affordable" for our large family it was a complete waste of money. It had only one very slow and dirty elevator for the entire place--it was also the service elevator. As we opened the room (a "mini-suite") it smelled bad--I mean each child said something as they came in, and we were greeted by a 3 foot long tear in the carpet; no need to worry, it was kind of duct taped on one section. The microwave and mini fridge were dirty and there was no light over the kitchenette sink. Upon entering the bathroom, we were greeted with a dirty bathtub; so I washed it. The room was Non-smoking and smelled badly of smoke. It was no wonder; there were cigarette burns all over the bathtub and the sink--the sink even had a sign that said "please don't put your ashes in the sink". But to top it off, the 2nd day we were there, we were commanded by the "cleaning crew" to leave so they could clean up--while they smoked cigarettes the entire time! I literally checked the "non-smoking" sign on the hotel room door to see if it was magnetic and they just moved the sign to any room that was booked as "non" smoking!
As we went from room to room we noticed as we touched the door knobs they were all sticky..Serious! I went out and bought some bleach at a grocery store so we could wash all surfaces before we did anything else.
The first night we looked for the bedding to go on the hide-a-way sofa bed and actually found it....literally wadded up and stuffed in the closet--do we dare think it clean? I think we took a sheet off of our bed to put on it for the kids--not that that was a guarantee. After unfolding the sofa bed we were greeted by the last occupants' beer caps falling out of the bed, not to mention popcorn or something else. uuuaachkkk! The bed in the "master suite" looked comfy and as we turned down the covers we were greeted by garbage between the headboard and the mattress.
Oh but the view! We were on a top floor (7th) and had a wonderful view of the Atlantic ocean! Let's go on the balcony! Hmmmm. Never mind; the railing is rusting everywhere there is a connection to affix it to anything, and wobbled. The holey, warped and weathered splintery plywood barrier between the next door unit didn't quite comfort me either. Not to mention that it didn't keep the cigarette smoke from coming from their NON-smoking room into our room when trying to get some fresh cool sea breeze blowing through. The carpet was stained and filthy--just look at your socks! Stop! don't let the baby crawl on the floor!
It was very nice, however, having an on-site laundry 2 floors down. If only they worked! After loading 1.50 into one machine it didn't work. So I got my money back and put it in the other machine. Ooops. we forgot to tell you that the other washer doesn't work very well on the spin cycle--like not at all. I think the dryer worked. Oh yea, it did; one of our kids left a blue crayon in their pants and all the clothes got huge blue streaks--just a perfect ending and reminder of our stay at VA Beach Travelodge!
Now you ask, "Why didn't you just check out?" Well, we're not terribly experienced travelers and we had to pre-pay the hotel at booking to get the advertised price...so we felt stuck...we had no room in our budget for other lodging. We are land-lubbers from the intermountain west and couldn't believe the price offered by the ocean-view hotel. We are now forever skeptical of such "deals."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer a variety of rooms to suit your needs, including penthouse suites with a Jacuzzi and kitchenette, rooms with private balconies and non-smoking rooms. Boost your energy with our free continental breakfast before lounging on our sundeck or diving into our outdoor(seasonal) pool. Free Wi-Fi Internet lets you go online from your laptop anywhere in the hotel. From guest laundry service to in-room microwaves and refrigerators, we provide all the amenities to make your stay memorable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Wyndham, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Travelodge Virginia Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travelodge Virginia Beach Hotel Virginia Beach
- Travel Lodge Virginia Beach