You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Nice place to stay while in the area. Here on business and couldn't ask for more especially this time of year. David Jones at the bar served up a great burger and a few cold beers along with some good conversation. Highly recommend!

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Alexandria, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We had a great experience at this hotel. The room was very spacious, and two TVs gave us a welcome break from my daughter's nighttime Nickelodeon fare. We bought the breakfast package and were very pleased with the variety at the buffet -- not only the usual Marriott breakfasts (e.g., self-serve, fresh-made waffles) but some southern dishes not seen elsewhere. Another plus for us was how close it was to what we think is the best restaurant in the resort area, Pelon's, just one block away. (Can you tell we're eaters.) We've stayed at several of the Marriott properties in Va. Beach, using credit card points. This is definitely the best of them.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Excellent stay every time. The staff is fantastic, especially their sales manager Ashley. Nothing but top notch, professional service. the place is always consistent and clean. This hotel cannot be beat on the ocean front.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I have stayed at this location several times based on the location to the beach and vicinity to Norfolk. Recently I have booked a meeting there for 35-45 people utilizing the suites and conference room "Cape Henry". The area and catering manager, Ashley Hanger, has been extremely helpful and has gone out of her way to accommodate our meeting as well as additional visits we have made. The general manager Chris has been equally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Blacksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, which is always a plus. The rooms are all oceanfront. I was upgraded to a suite, which turned out to be a slight liability (ironically). I like to hear the ocean and see the ocean from bed when staying at an oceanfront hotel. The suites have a bedroom by the road and a large living area with a sleeper couch oceanside. So, that means couch and those are never comfortable. But, the sounds of the ocean were great.

My only complaint about my stay was the fact that there is construction 3 blocks away (and in VB the blocks are very short distances) in its earliest stages, so there was pile-driving equipment in operation during daylight hours. Today is Saturday and they are working. It depends on the wind as to how bad the noise can be. The first few days I could sit in my room with the doors open and not hear the construction unless I went out on the patio. THat was OK since the living area had a couch and chairs which are more comfortable than plastic chairs anyway.

I don't know how long this phase of construction will last. If I were to return in the next few months I would probably look for a property further south on the Boardwalk. The CY at 25th may be far enough away.

I would definitely return here, though, once this initial phase of construction is over because this location (at the northern part of the resort area) is better for someone seeking peace and quiet. It is not in the heart of the tourist-y area. If traveling with kids I would want to be there, but traveling alone this is a great location.

There are two computers in the lobby that are free. There is free Internet in the rooms as well. I had no problems getting and staying connected. There is no restaurant per se but there is the usual CourtYard bistro that sells sandwiches and light fare.

Rating beachfront hotels for value is a tricky business. It really depends on when you come. I paid $69 for a room going through the Marriott site. At the last minute I considered adding a day but by then the rate was at $134. This is VB in the off-season so there are bargains to be had someplace.
All in all, this was a very pleasant stay despite the construction.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Cranston, Rhode Island, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed for 3 days at the end of August with husband and 7 & 11 yr old daughters. We loved the beach front convenience but it was very far from the busier attractions and the walk was tortorous with the kids. Upon checking in, our spacious room was VERY DIRTY. To start, the elevator which we rode to the 4th floor was slow and had handprints smeared all over the walls. The door to our room did also. Our bathroom was filthy with mold on the shower curtain and hair and hair/dust along the floor which seemed to have never been washed. The doorknobs (which i washed with clorox wipes I brought), were disgustingly dirty. The pull out sofa was filthy with crumbs and the side- tables had sunscreen hand prints all over them. The sofa bed blankets were stained and the ones in the closet smelled as though they were never washed. The orange carpet had bugs and crumbs along the wall as if they just vaccuumed the center the room for the last 3 years. I felt so disgusted and my allergies started to bother me so I checked the filter in the airconditioner units and was appalled to see that they were covered in a thick layer of dust. I called down to the front desk and they sent up maintenace and a cleaning guy who changed the shower curtain and airconditioner filters. I convinced the cleaning man to leave his spray and rags with me because I knew the only way it was going to get cleaned was by me! The cleaning person told me that they are only allowed a small time frame to clean each room daily and that it's impossible to clean it in the small allotted time.....nice excuses but for the price AND more importantly, the health of my children and myself, I expect our rooms to be at least 90% clean! Luckily I took pictures. My husband and I complained and emailed the manager but after not being compensated in any way, I have decided to post the photos so others are not "ripped off" for $700 like we were. The staff were very nice but seemed as though they were very restricted in what they could do. The pool was freezing and NEVER any towels. FOOD way too expensive. Drinks.... way over priced and not allowed in/near pool. The only good thing was the beach front balcony (still very dirty) and the quick access to the beach. NEVER staying there again!! Surprised by some of the other reviews.......I have vacationed in many resorts and several Marriott's but this was the nastiest ever.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
SHSVBOAGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our hotel. I would like to personally apologize for the issues you encountered during your August 2010 stay, as it appears we dropped the ball in several areas. Your concerns will be reviewed and addressed with our management team. I can assure you this is not typical; as you can see from the other reviews on this site we usually do an excellent job of ensuring our guests enjoy their stay at our hotel. I would invite you to personally contact me if you plan to return to the Virginia Beach area again so I can show you the best of what Courtyard North has to offer.
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

We stayed for 14 nights so got to know a lot of the personel at this Courtyard. From the desk, the moment we walked into the lobby, to the housekeepers and wait staff at the small but delicious deli type restaurant, everyone was helpful and polite. Never have we felt more welcome at a hotel. We look forward to staying at this Courtyard in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St? Share your experiences!