“Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St

You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, PA
“Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

This hotel was really nice. We had room #407. It was a double queen suite with a small kitchenette. Checkin was not too bad. Originally, we wanted a higher floor, but the only one available was on the 4th and we took it.
The breakfast buffet was very good. I like the idea of filling out the card and getting your eggs and waffles cooked to order. Then they had bacon, fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage and other breakfast food available through the line. It was $10, but included juices, coffee and milk.
The outdoor pool is amazing. I just can't understand why they can't heat it. I bet the water was only 70 degrees. Everyone that got in had the same face of "Oh my.... It's freezing" The daily weather was mid to high 90's. I've seen it's always been cold. My son got "blue lips" pretty quickly.
As for the area, check out Pi (Pizza Place a few blocks down). We found out on our last day that they had daily lunch specials for $5, which included your soft drink (each day is different). I really liked their pizza and the service was great.
Overall, I like everything about this place but the pool. Hopefully, they can add some heat to the water. I know it has to be cold due to recycling water and all the water falls. Plus, it had some sort of water slide that went to the lower end of the pool. Kids were loving it.

• Liked — The size of the suites. Lots of room
  • Disliked — The tempreture of the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Pi and find out their daily lunch specials. Great food.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

We were at the Marriott from 8/15 - 8/19(Sat). Here are my comments: (Overall nice hotel and I would stay there again)

1. The size of the suite room was perfect for the 5 of us. We had a 5 year old and 2 Teens with us.

2. The kitchenette has a refrigerator with small freezer, a microwave and coffee maker. Plenty of cabinets. Bring your own dishes or paper products.

3. The view of the beach is wonderful to wake up too and the balcony was great for sitting out and watching the sunset, dolphins or others at the beach.

4. The breakfast buffet was $9.95 and $3.95 for kids. It was ok. They make fresh waffles and omelets there. The service was not that great but if you don't want to go out, eat there. We also ate at Pocohontas pancakes. No buffet prices.

5. Location is away from most excitement. Which is under 20th and Altantic. However, there's a trolley called the Wave that run until 2 am at a cheap rate. Great for the teens.

6. The outdoor pool was very nice. Cold at times, but it is probably one of the best on VA beach.

7. We didn't use the indoor pool and yes there was sand in the pool, but some kids were enjoying the pool.

8. If you have more than 4 people, bring extra washcloths and towels because it could take a while to get extras.

Negative:
1. I didn't like the fact that the public internet computer was by the bar. I often seen teens there and I don't think teens should be hanging out by a bar. They have wireless internet in the rooms.

2. I didn't mind the elevator wait. I expected it and most times, it was as fast as other hotels that I stayed in.

• Liked — The wonderful view and the size of the suite
  • Disliked — The price
  • Tips/Secrets — Check times for cookies in the early evening. If you use public computer, make sure you logout.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

We stayed at the Marriott for 5 nights in August 2006. The location is at the north end of the boardwalk so it's great for families. It's walking distance to the shops and eateries but not too crowded. The rooms are large with 2 comfortable double beds in the bedroom and a decent pull out sofa. Our biggest problem was at check-in. We arrived at 4:30 pm thinking we could check right in and were told the room wasn't ready and come back in 20 minutes. When we came back a half hour later, the room still wasn't ready. However, the manager did give us a $30 per night rate reduction for the inconvenience without me even having to fight for something. We went to dinner and the room was ready when we got back.

For a family of 5, the size of the room is great. The bathroom is large and there is a second vanity outside of the bathroom which helps having a teenage daughter. The beach is only steps away and the pool is a nice size compared to others on the beach. We primarily stayed at this hotel since the pool complex looked so good. However, the beach is so great that we hardly used the pool. The hotel is expensive compared to a lot of others on Virginia Beach but we enjoyed it. Be advised that there is a microwave and small refrigerator in the suites, but there was not one utensil - no spoons, dishes, etc. which we found odd. We bought some plastic bowls and spoons for cereal in the morning and stocked up on soda and water for the beach but that was about the extent of our kitchen facilities.

If you want a nice hotel, great for families, in a quiter end of Virginia Beach, I would highly recommend the Marriott.

Northern New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

This hotel was in a great location with great views and the best pool in my opinion. It is located away from the busy end (south) which is nice if you want more of a family atmosphere. The hotel itself is very nice and we had a AWESOME experience with the front desk staff. They accomodated us and were very friendly. My only complaint has to do with cleanliness. We had a couple of situations including the lobby bathroom (which took hours to get cleaned and was way worse than any gas station I've ever been in) and our room (the sheets did not get changed from the previos guests!!!!!!!!!) The staff fixed that experience the best they could and was very apologetic. I think someone should lose their job because of that. Overall, I would still go back because it was a decent place that had a couple of problems during our stay. I do wish that the poolside snackbar was run a little bit more efficiently and was open for longer hours.

• Liked — location and pool
  • Disliked — cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

A few weeks back we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Virginia Beach, and since I relied on the reviews here at Trip Advisor to assist me in picking my hotel I figured it was only fair that I post a review to assist others in making there decision. Overall I (we as I traveled with my wife and two children) found the Courtyard to be a very very nice hotel. The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. The view was SPECTACULAR, the beach was wonderful and outdoor pool was great. Overall I would stay here again, no question about it.

That said there were some things that were less than wonderful. Take to heart the notices and complaints about the elevator service, it STINKS. I was unforunate in that I recieved a room on the 11th floor, it would take up to 10 minutes to get an elevator! It was downright maddening. Check-in was a nightmare, and once again as the reviews bear out , there was a severe lack of luggage carts to shuttle your bags to and from your room. There is even a larger lack of assistance from the hotel staff who did virtually nothing to assist visitors in finding carts and getting settled. Combining the lack of frequent elevators with carrying your luggage from your car up to your room via multiple trips and you begin to understand why I call check-in a nightmare. Thankfully it was easier during checkout but that was only due to the fact that we started shuttling bags down to the car the day before thus making a one trip checkout possible.

Other minor complaints consist of the cleanliness of the outdoor pool which was perfect and wonderful on some days and not quite as appealing on others as there seemed to be a filtration problem that was less than appealing. I also felt that the resturant was a bit lacking, not horrible (if you stay away from the buffet breakfast which is just a rip-off) but not great either. We found that the hotel staff while generally friendly was rather hit or miss when it came to service. Twice we asked for restruraunt recommendations, the first time we were handed a map of the area and told here are the resturaunts, the second time we were given a bunch of great recommendations and directions to boot. Like I said hit or miss, but not too bad overall.

On a final note we will most likely will stay at the Courtyard on our future trips to Virginia Beach. We would also recommend it to others as we enjoyed our trip and found our complaints rather small.

• Liked — The View was Amazing
  • Disliked — Check-in was rotten
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a low floor to ease the elevator pain and suffering
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very happy with the staff at reception. They were very polite and helpful. The room was a good size and very clean and the view from the balcony was excellent. Even though this part of the beach is less crowded we were a bit put off by the constant noise of military jets directly overhead which does not lend to a relaxing holiday. The outdoor pool seemed great at first but my husband got pinkeye a few days later which we think was caused by the lack of hygiene in this pool. While I was impressed by the hotel itself I would not return specifically because of noise and outdoor pool.

• Liked — The room and the staff
  • Disliked — outdoor pool and overhead noise
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel after visiting Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. (Also great places for the family, immaculately clean!)... This hotel makes a great first impression from the minute the friendly valet (Hi Macolm) and equally friendly bell hops greet you at the door. Beautiful lobby, w/ TV and separate bar area, are great for hanging out in.. All oceanfront rooms, I recommend booking the suite if you are staying more than a few nights.. Quieter part of the beach as far as crowds, however you should definitely know that this hotel appears to be in the direct flight path of NUMEROUS air bases! There are 4 in the area. Very loud combat planes fly sporadically by day, however, one evening we counted 20 returning between the hours of 8-11pm. This does not make it conducive to sitting on the balcony to relax or sitting by the deck with friends having a drink! All in all, very clean, accomadating staff, with a magnificent beach. But if you dont like overhead noise, do not stay here.

• Liked — spacious suite
  • Disliked — noise from aircraft from military bases
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure your room is on the second floor. There are only two elevators in this hotel and the wait is horrendous! Second floor has great view
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St? Share your experiences!