“Wow! what a beautiful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3737 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #23 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wow! what a beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

Wow!!! I can't say it enough! Everything from the staff to the wonderful breakfast buffet. The Courtyard made our mini vacation worth every penny! we will definitly come back in the summer when the outdoor pool is open for us to enjoy! Keep up the good work and we will keep on returning. thank you!

• Stayed April 2006

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

Wonderful place to spend your vacation very helpful staff; room was average but still comfortable. Would stay again!

Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

We had a wonderful experience at the courtyard. The staff was friendly. The hotel is clean. It was close to a lot of establishments and the view of the Ocean is just amazing! We stayed for 2 Nights and 3 Days and i woke up to the sunrise over the beach everyday. It was beautiful!
There wasnt anyone on the beach because its winter, but we loved sitting out on the balcony, looking at the water. It was quiet, peaceful, just wonderful.
We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

We stayed at this property for 4 days (Sept. 8-12th) because we had a wedding to attend in V.B. Our room was a king suite on the 7th floor (room 716). It offered a great view of the beach and the Boardwalk. It really couldn't have been better from a view standpoint. The room was clean but it wasn't without problems. Our refrigerator was never very cold and every day it shuts down to defrost. This means everything gets warm. Also during defrost mode our fridge leaked all over the floor. My wife called down about this and the girl at the front desk said " Oh yeah, every day it defrosts and it is normal. " It is normal for a fridge to leak all over the floor? I called back later after hearing the nonsense given by the front desk. They sent maintenace up this time. He said the leak wasn't normal and took the pan to fix the leak. He stated he would be back in 30 minutes. Well 3 hours later we called again. Front desk said "we'll send him right up." It took another call and he finally shows with the fixed pan. He let us know the "fridge" is really a glorified cooler and needed to be changed out. "Fill out a comment card, it is the only way Marriott will change them. They don't listen to the employees", he stated. The common themes here seemed to be employees complaining about Marriott and there job and multiple phone calls to get anything done. This staff at the Courtyard might be the worst I've ever encountered. On second thought they are the worst. Incompetent and not friendly. They seemed to find time to smoke outside but can't find the time to attend to the guests. There really are no services offered here. Bellboys? NOPE Spa? NOPE, food served poolside? NOPE Housekeeping that can handle a simple request for a cleaning before 12:30 due to a sleeping child NOPE! The pools here are a disgrace as well. The indoor pool is filthy! The water is murky and there is stuff floating in it. The hot tub is so oily that when you turn on the jets the foam builds up so bad it spilled over into the pool. There was also mold all over the top of the hot tub. My wife ended up being very sick and this mold appears to be the cause. The outdoor pool looks very nice.... but wait try to get in. The water is freezing!!!! How can it be freezing when V.B. was 90 degrees all summer and mid 80's during our whole stay? Not heating a pool is a disgrace. All the people around the pool wishing they could swim. I'm in pools a lot and my parents have a heated pool so I know a little about water temperatures. This one is about 68 - 70 degrees, at least 10 - 15 degrees to cold. We also witnessed a ceiling tile fall down onto a guest. Oh yeah, when we checked in the firemen where there because of an alarm. It was a false alarm caused by smoking. This place really was a comedy of errors. The layout of the hotel is a joke also. No exit from the lobby to the pool or beach. You either had to trudge through the resaurant or go out the front through the parking lot. The saving grace was V.B. itself and the great, clean, wide beach. It truly is great. The boardwalk is also great. V.B. is an up and coming destination. It has improved leaps and bounds over the years. I really wish slow elevators were the only problem here. This place is a joke. We will never stay here again. I'm a loyal Marriott Rewards member and usually love Marriotts. I certainly have no axe to grind with Marriott. This place needs a management and total employee over haul. My only guess with the good reviews here..... V.B. doesn't exactly get the most experienced travelers at this point. Anyone who has done extensive traveling would never rate this place more than 2 stars. 2 might be generous. Look elsewhere like the Hilton or maybe the Residence Inn when it is completed. V.b is a winner just not this hotel. NEVER AGAIN FOR US.

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2005

I stayed here in August and the lady checking me in was extremely unpleasant Also when I went to the room it was filthy! There was dry urine under the toilet seat, hair on the floor, and a old biscuit in the dresser drawer that was hard as a rock! The property doesn't look that old which suprised me how poorly its taken care of. I will definately find another hotel to stay at next time i'm at the beach. The Hilton down the street looked nice and there is a Residence Inn being built on the oceanfront as well. I hope the service and quality will be better there.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott on 37th from Sept. 5 - 9th, 2005. It was our second stay here and our 3rd stay on the Beach. Housekeeping was excellent. This Marriott has the best pool on Virginia Beach (our 7 year-old daughter agrees!). We will only stay at Marriott now, because we can trust we will get a nice, super-clean room with friendly service. 5th floor ocean view was the best. Starbucks coffee is comped in the lobby. The beach is excellent, and the outdoor shower comes in handy. Breakfast was good, and room service food was tasty... I ordered the ceasar salad with scallops (they were huge) and it was delicious! The hotel is close enough to the good restaurants, and the north end is a bit more modern and upscale.

• Stayed September 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

My husband and I with our two children stayed at the Courtyard the week of August 22nd. We had a queen suite on the 4th floor. I booked the hotel online a month in advance and requested an early check-in around 2pm. When we got to the hotel after our long 5 hour drive, hot and exhausted, our room was not ready. We were told to park and could use the facilities and come back in an hour or so. We finally checked in around 3:30pm. I was a lot disappointed with the cleanliness of our room and instead of calling the front desk and waiting yet again for housekeeping, I decided to clean the room myself. The patio windows and kitchenette area were filthy. The bathroom grout in some places was black and my son, who loves bubble baths, refused to take a bath in the tub and only showered the entire length of our stay (I couldn't remove the disgusting mold). My husband and I found chewed gum (obviously from the previous occupants) stuck to the ceiling, behind the television and next to both beds. The mini refrigerator/freezer did not work correctly and had leaked all over the floor, which I cleaned up. The televisions, nightstands and dressers looked like they had never seen a dust clothe. And every single mirror was smeared beyond belief, one to the point you could not make out your reflection, which I cleaned. The occupants of the room next to us smoked on their balcony (my husband and I are non-smokers) so whenever they were out there, we had to come in and close the doors. The elevators were unbelievably slow and they only had 2. Since we were on the 4th floor, we used the stairs and never took the elevators. Unbelievably, they only have two stairwells and neither stairwell leads to the lobby! To get to the beach or boardwalk from the stairwell you go outside and around the hotel. To get to the lobby, you go outside and in front of the hotel to get back to the lobby. Other hotels I've stayed have stairwells that lead to the lobby AND outside so I couldn't understand this design. The hotel staff was friendly, the beach was beautiful and the dolphins were great to watch. The boardwalk was neat and clean. The Pocohontos restaurant was very good for breakfast. Overall, I loved Virginia Beach, but I probably would not stay at this hotel again unless they gave me a discount for cleaning my own room. I didn't like the cleanliness of the room and the balconies lacked privacy. I consider a hotel a home away from home while on vacation, but this hotel did not meet my expectations.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St? Share your experiences!