“All rooms face the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St

You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #29 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Springfield, Virginia
“All rooms face the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is the third year in a row we've stayed at this hotel. There are two Marriott Courtyards in Virginia Beach. This one is the more northern property and in the quieter section of town. The hotel is clean and very quiet. They started charging for guest parking this year - $5 nite. Cheaper than public parking but others don't charge.

Great in house bistro with good 5 minute pizza and specialty sandwiches. Very nice staff. Heart of the tourist season so room cleaning was a bit slow but still good. Good outdoor pool vut very crowded with lots of families. Have to get there early if you want a lounge chair.

Beach outside the hotel is quieter than most as it is not so accessible to the public. At the north end of the boardwalk so it's quiet outside. Fireworks off the VB Pieer - 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, can be seen from the room balconies.

Typical Marriott Courtyard rooms. Refrigerator, no microwave.

Room Tip: stay towards the end of the halls, away from the elevators and ice-machine. Stay above the 4th floo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the bistro's selection and service as well as the outdoor pool. Our location is quieter so it makes it easy to relax and a great view of the fireworks on Wednesdays and Sundays. I hope you are able to visit us in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We, a family of 4 including mom, dad, son (15) and daughter (11) stayed at the Courtyard Marriott/N 37th street from August 1 - August 5, 2013. We selected this hotel because it was oceanfront, a Marriott brand and one of the few hotels available with a suite option at the time of our booking. Prior to this visit, we had never been to Virginia Beach.
We cannot say enough fantastic things about our experience at this hotel. From Tyler, who provided complimentary valet parking to Josh who checked us in and gave us an upgrade on our rooms - the service was fantastic. Our two room suite had two balconies directly facing the ocean. Our room was clean, towels were plentiful and nothing was worn (the way beach hotels frequently appear). The "market" in the hotel lobby had snacks that met all our hungers and the restaurant food was also a satisfying option. The pool resembles a true "resort" hotel, with waterfalls, a built "slide" in the pool and plenty of chairs. There is a nice uncrowded bar at the pool that has happy hour drinks and snacks daily. The indoor pool is small but clean and fine for the location/situation (who wants to be at the indoor pool!?!?) The fitness room has 2 treadmills and one eliptical machine (all which work and have their own televisions) as well as a collection of free weights.
We have extensive experience traveling (for both business and pleasure). Our modest expectations for this hotel were rapidly exceeded. If we return to Virginia Beach, we will look no where else except the Courtyard Marriott/N37th as our place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our fun outdoor pool, convenient valet service, and our fitness center. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We traveled to the East Coast on a family vacation. We left the beach as a last stop on a multi-city tour and had high expectations for the Courtyard given it is classified as a Category 7 property. Unfortunately, this stay was by far my worst experience with Marriott and it put a big damper on our whole vacation that I ended up cutting it short and fly back home 2 days earlier than planned.

When a property is labeled as a Marriott category 7, it sets the expectations to a certain level of service, amenities and cleanliness. The courtyard in Virginia Beach has none of that.

The AC units are mounted into the balcony wall, reminding me of a motel 6. If you sit outside, The AC is blowing hot air on you. If you go inside, it was so hot that the unit could not keep up with cooling the room. The unit was all dusty and musky that when coupled with the smell from the frying oil emanating from the kitchen 2 floors lower, it was nauseating.

The patio door handle was broken and it looked like somebody tried to break-in before, so they had a latch to keep it closed.

The bathroom had multiple areas of black fungus, room carpet was stained and the general facilities even worse. Elevators were dirty and if we took the stairs, the stench from the kitchen was just too much.

The property does not provide any amenities for the beach: No umbrellas, no chairs, no towels, nothing but they claim they are a category 7 because they are by the beach, have a bar and a swimming pool. Let's not go there.

Finally, the property is on the landing path for Oceana Air base and we had multiple fly-overs by F-18 Hornet planes that the noise prevents anyone from sleeping and is very deafening.

Marriott is misleading people when they classify this property as a Category 7. At best, it is a category 3. Plan accordingly.

I would definitely NOT recommend this place for a beach vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I can't apologize enough about the opportunities you experienced during your stay. The team has been notified of your concerns and they are being addressed. I hope this experience doesn't reflect on Marriott as a brand. Thank you again for your feedback.
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel was exactly what we expected. It was very clean, the staff was great. We were there for a week - I noticed that the quality of the housekeeping staff varied GREATLY. Sometimes the TP wasn't stocked, other times it was the kleenex or coffee cups. Items were quickly brought up by the staff when I asked for them, but it was annoying to have to ask for something almost very day. The room was also not dusted frequently as evidenced by the layer of dust on the TV. The outdoor pool was nice, but COLD. The hotel is also in the quiter north end, farther from the main area, which is good and bad. It is farther from the "night life" and therefore good for famiies, but a long walk from most of the attractions. The WAVE Shuttle was a great way to get around, however. Even though this is supposed to be a smoke free hotel, many people ignored the "no smoking on the patio" sign, effectively ruining any chance we had to enjoy our own balcony in those instances. I think the jet noise is louder here, we appeared to be right in their flight pattern. It didn't bother us (we thought it was cool, and it was only during daytime/early evening hours.) I think it is cheap to charge $5 for parking when you are paying $299 a night!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for staying for us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our quiet location. I apologize that the housekeeping staff varied a bit during your stay. The manager has been notified and appreciates your feedback.
Bridgewater, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Josh,

I thought it appropriate to send my compliments to you regarding two members of your staff. These charming and courteous people I met during my week stay at the Courtyard Marriott on 37th Street this week past. If I may I'd like to briefly share my really positive experience with you.

I'm an old Virginia Beach native and unfortunately I rarely get back home anymore from up here in Harrisonburg. I've been worried I'd not feel at home with all the changes that have obviously been made all around the city.

My first contact was George at the front door where he maintains his vigil over valet parking and it was great. Every contact with George after that was just as warm and sincerely helpful as the first. I can't even count how many times he helped me with advice and assistance in the most gracious and respectful manner. George was patient and listened to me go on about my days growing up in Virginia Beach. He's a great ambassador and when I had an old college buddy come to visit me at the hotel, George was again at the ready to offer his help to us. I know a thing or two about good service and when someone stands out to me in this way, and I am delighted to take the time to write a note of appreciation to his supervisors.

In addition I'd also like to add that our 10th floor housekeeper Juanita, was a ray of sunshine. Respectful and courteous and was not in the least bit put-out about our asking her questions about her schedule and routine so we could plan our morning around her time in our room. We even enjoyed running into Juanita in the hall because she was so sweet and pleasant to us.

I have had children in the hotel business and know all too well that people are quick to complain and slow to compliment, but George and Juanita actually enhanced our stay at your Marriott. Kudos to the 37th Street Courtyard Marriott for hiring and keeping employees like George and Juanita. We enjoyed every day and our room was awesome!

Sincere thanks!

Lon

Room Tip: All rooms are on ocean so there are no bad rooms.
Green Features: Definitely practice eco-friendly laundry handling by having guests hang towels out to dry for reuse when appropriate.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about George and Juanita. They are very happy you noticed their customer service skills. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!
Abbottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our first time in Va Beach. We were very happy with the hotel, it had a lot to offer.
The staff was super friendly, rooms very comfortable and always cleaned very well. The pool area was awesome and very well kept. Definitely would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review our hotel! I am glad you liked our comfortable rooms and the pool area. Next time you are in town, I hope we can make your vacation just as great!
Long Beach, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My family (me, wife, 4 kids 9 - 2) just spent 3 days there on our way back from North Carolina. If we were to go back to Va Beach, we would likely stay there again. Location (for me) was good as it was on the north end of the strip so its relatively quiet and so the beach isn't overcrowded. The best part of the hotel is the outdoor pool (which is why we stayed there) and it gets crowded. Weirdly its not heated either. Since its a beach hotel and its the busy part of the season it looks worn down in some places even though it was recently renovated. Big stain on carpet, etc. Overall, the pool and the location were the two most important things for me and they didn't disappoint.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It's great that you were able to enjoy our fun outdoor pool as well as the beach location. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you again next year!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St? Share your experiences!