“Overall a great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3737 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
“Overall a great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel was exactly what we expected. It was very clean, the staff was great. We were there for a week - I noticed that the quality of the housekeeping staff varied GREATLY. Sometimes the TP wasn't stocked, other times it was the kleenex or coffee cups. Items were quickly brought up by the staff when I asked for them, but it was annoying to have to ask for something almost very day. The room was also not dusted frequently as evidenced by the layer of dust on the TV. The outdoor pool was nice, but COLD. The hotel is also in the quiter north end, farther from the main area, which is good and bad. It is farther from the "night life" and therefore good for famiies, but a long walk from most of the attractions. The WAVE Shuttle was a great way to get around, however. Even though this is supposed to be a smoke free hotel, many people ignored the "no smoking on the patio" sign, effectively ruining any chance we had to enjoy our own balcony in those instances. I think the jet noise is louder here, we appeared to be right in their flight pattern. It didn't bother us (we thought it was cool, and it was only during daytime/early evening hours.) I think it is cheap to charge $5 for parking when you are paying $299 a night!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for staying for us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our quiet location. I apologize that the housekeeping staff varied a bit during your stay. The manager has been notified and appreciates your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bridgewater, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Josh,

I thought it appropriate to send my compliments to you regarding two members of your staff. These charming and courteous people I met during my week stay at the Courtyard Marriott on 37th Street this week past. If I may I'd like to briefly share my really positive experience with you.

I'm an old Virginia Beach native and unfortunately I rarely get back home anymore from up here in Harrisonburg. I've been worried I'd not feel at home with all the changes that have obviously been made all around the city.

My first contact was George at the front door where he maintains his vigil over valet parking and it was great. Every contact with George after that was just as warm and sincerely helpful as the first. I can't even count how many times he helped me with advice and assistance in the most gracious and respectful manner. George was patient and listened to me go on about my days growing up in Virginia Beach. He's a great ambassador and when I had an old college buddy come to visit me at the hotel, George was again at the ready to offer his help to us. I know a thing or two about good service and when someone stands out to me in this way, and I am delighted to take the time to write a note of appreciation to his supervisors.

In addition I'd also like to add that our 10th floor housekeeper Juanita, was a ray of sunshine. Respectful and courteous and was not in the least bit put-out about our asking her questions about her schedule and routine so we could plan our morning around her time in our room. We even enjoyed running into Juanita in the hall because she was so sweet and pleasant to us.

I have had children in the hotel business and know all too well that people are quick to complain and slow to compliment, but George and Juanita actually enhanced our stay at your Marriott. Kudos to the 37th Street Courtyard Marriott for hiring and keeping employees like George and Juanita. We enjoyed every day and our room was awesome!

Sincere thanks!

Lon

Room Tip: All rooms are on ocean so there are no bad rooms.
Green Features: Definitely practice eco-friendly laundry handling by having guests hang towels out to dry for reuse when appropriate.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about George and Juanita. They are very happy you noticed their customer service skills. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!
Abbottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our first time in Va Beach. We were very happy with the hotel, it had a lot to offer.
The staff was super friendly, rooms very comfortable and always cleaned very well. The pool area was awesome and very well kept. Definitely would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review our hotel! I am glad you liked our comfortable rooms and the pool area. Next time you are in town, I hope we can make your vacation just as great!
Long Beach, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My family (me, wife, 4 kids 9 - 2) just spent 3 days there on our way back from North Carolina. If we were to go back to Va Beach, we would likely stay there again. Location (for me) was good as it was on the north end of the strip so its relatively quiet and so the beach isn't overcrowded. The best part of the hotel is the outdoor pool (which is why we stayed there) and it gets crowded. Weirdly its not heated either. Since its a beach hotel and its the busy part of the season it looks worn down in some places even though it was recently renovated. Big stain on carpet, etc. Overall, the pool and the location were the two most important things for me and they didn't disappoint.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It's great that you were able to enjoy our fun outdoor pool as well as the beach location. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you again next year!
Northern, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just stayed at Marriott Courtyard on 37th Street in Virginia Beach. We stayed on the 2nd floor and personally, I liked it better than a higher floor. What people say about the elevator situation is correct. It isn't a big deal but there are only two elevators for the entire property. Being on the 2nd floor was nice because we could just scoot down the stairs. My only comment to the hotel would be to please vacuum the elevator carpets once in a while. Ok, now the good! The location is perfect. The pool is the best! I didn't mind the flyovers at all by the jets. We thought it was cool. I have never stayed at a Courtyard and I kind of missed the room service that I am used to at the other Marriott hotels but all in all, a great choice! I will definitely be back. P.S. Staff is super friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our views and hospitality. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon!
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I drove 10 hours for a Triathlon 40 minutes north in Hampton. After the race we decided to bring the kids to the ocean for the first time, so we spent a few days at the Courtyard by Marriott.

My wife and I have been to Virginia Beach before, but was our first time at this hotel. We had an outstanding time. The kids really enjoyed the ocean as well as the pool with the waterfalls and little slide. We had one night of thunderstorms and the kids played in the indoor pool. This pool was relatively small, but wasn't very busy, so didn't affect our fun.

The valet parking was very easy and the valet guys were great.

The rooms were comfortable for our family and the ocean view was outstanding. There were a ton of things to do within walking distance and driving around was very easy.

Only two possible negatives: 1. Our beds were not made by room service after the first night. This could be because we were in the room when they finally came by (around 3:30pm). First time I've been there when room service showed up, so not sure the protocol there.
2. There was a lot of smoking from one of our neighbors rooms off their balcony (no smoking hotel). Most of it was coming into our room, which wasn't very pleasant. We called the front desk, but not really sure how they can police the issue.

Great hotel...great stay...and if we come back to Virginia Beach, we definitley have a place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary valet and our indoor and outdoor pool areas. I hope you are able to stay with us again the next time you are in town!
Rochester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I discounted some negative reviews because of general John expectations for Marriotts. After two nights I'm bummed to say they were right on.

Jeers and then cheers...

Booked suite on 9th floor at a high price. Couch was ripping at seams. Shower curtain was moldy (corner suite- this needs to be replaced!!!) Hotel hallways are always dirty, it's the beach, but this is a Marriott.

Elevators- prepare for ten minutes up then down. It became a running joke with other guests. The beauty of staying on the beach is easy access to your room. I dreaded having to go up.

Safety- housekeeping came in our room despite do not dosturb sign, had left valuables so we could enjoy the surf carefree. They came in, and LEFT OUR DOOR OPEN- WITH NIGHT LOCK SUSTAINING DOOR OPEN...I don't know how long. I was very panicked, and called the front desk. They said "I'm so sorry! Do you need anything else?".

Parking- is very limited. This should not be a problem during off season, in July, it was.

Cheers:

Location is fantastic. We were far enough to enjoy a much less crowded beach, but still close enough to walk to lots of restaurants.

The housekeeping/maintenance staff is really tops. Funny, and caring as others have posted. They really deserve kudos for making people feel welcome.

Great pool! Kids loved it, unique and spacious.

My recommendation to TA users when deciding is look at cleanliness and elevator situation in comparable hotels. All beach hotels show they wear and tear more quickly than others, but I have to think VA beach has hotels without the same issues. I don't think I would recommend staying here during peak season.

Enjoy your travels.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our beautiful views and the unique outdoor pool area we have. The staff is very happy that you can see our genuine customer service. I can't apologize enough about the housekeeping opportunities you encountered. The team is now aware of your feedback and acting accordingly. Thank you again for your comments about your stay. I hope you have a great rest of your summer.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St? Share your experiences!