“Lots of space & great views - would stay here again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St

You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Lots of space & great views - would stay here again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in the 1 BR larger suite with 2 queen beds on June 19 & 20. We had plenty of space with over 600 sf of indoor living space and 100sf of balcony space. We were on the 6th floor and had a great ocean views. This was our first time to VB and I researched a lot of the hotels to try to find us a larger space for our family of four but still be ocean front. I narrowed our choices to the Residence Inn, Courtyard S, and Spring Hill Suites and it seemed we got more space and "bang for our buck" at this location. Some people on Trip Advisor recommend being closer to the middle of the boardwalk but we liked this location on the northern part of the boardwalk...easy enough to walk to places but far enough away from the more populated areas. All of the staff were extremely friendly and courteous (I spoke to Danielle by phone a couple of times before our visit and she was particularly helpful!) Since our room was ready we were able to check in early which was great! The pool area was really nice and also nice to have plenty of towels available. From the photos on the website it looks like the pool faces the road and it does, but there is also a portion of the pool that faces the ocean. We booked online a couple of weeks before our dates. I checked the prices again 3-4 days prior to arrival and the nightly rate for our same room type had dropped by $30 per night so I called reservations and they adjusted our rate so future guests may want to check rates closer to their arrival date to see if there are any changes. Our room was pretty clean with one exception...we did not plan on it but thought about using the sleeper sofa but when we opened it up, there were chips and crumbs on the mattress pad (yuck!) so I guess it had been used but housekeeping did not open it up to check it between guests. I did mention that to the front desk staff and they were very apologetic and said they would let housekeeping know. Not sure if all of the sleeper sofa mattresses are this way, but this particular one (in room 609) was terrible. We had an air mattress with us so one of our kids just slept on that. Also, our room had a mini fridge and microwave which was great but there are no plates, utensils, paper towels, or anything if you need to use the microwave or prepare food in your room. Again, not a big deal, but just good to be aware of in case you plan to microwave a bowl of soup or something (and need a bowl!) We have pretty high standards and even with just these couple of minor things, we would definitely recommend and would stay here again!

Room Tip: I would not pay more for a corner room since the balcony space looks smaller. I think the higher flo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our large suite and the ocean views! Danielle is delighted that you found her advice very helpful. Thank you again for your kind words. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have stayed in many Marriott hotels around the US and this is by far my favorite one. Amazing rooms, great view, and excellent location. Our room was super nice, clean, and it was super comfortable. I would totally stay here again whenever I go back to VB.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you had a great time during your stay! Thank you for your loyalty and we will see you the next time you are in town.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

service is excellent. every single employee we encountered went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. great place to leave your balcony door open and be lulled to sleep by the ocean waves all night long. see the dolphins every morning swimming in front of your balcony.

Room Tip: get as high up as possible
Green Features: sorry that there was no recycling i would rather have plastic glasses because of the danger of glass breaking on hard surfaces also the sanitary feature.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel. That's very exciting that you enjoyed our excellent service and friendly staff. I too enjoy watching the dolphins swim by throughout the day. Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

visiting on a business trip, had a great experience with the hotel and staff at the Courtyard Marriott. Hotel was in great area, rooms were nice and clean, breakfast was awesome and very friendly/helpful staff. (remember to ask for Drew at the front desk-great employee), he will definitely be most helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had such a great time with us! Drew is very excited to hear that you enjoyed his friendly service. Thank you again and I hope you are able to stay with us again soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip to Virginia Beach and really enjoyed ourselves.

All of the rooms face the ocean, so the views are great. Staff were very friendly and helpful. It's right on the edge of where the action is, so the beach life is fun and there was much to do.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. Our location is on the northern side of the oceanfront which offers a variety of restaurants and beach fun. I am glad you were able to enjoy our ocean-front balconies! I hope you are able to stay with us again soon. Have a great rest of your summer!
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel since the summer it opened about eleven years ago. While some beach hotels start looking a bit shopworn after a decade, the management of the Courtyard North has continued to keep the property fresh and looking (and smelling!) like brand new. Our visit this month was outstanding, and we have already reserved for an upcoming August visit as well. Juanita handles housekeeping on the tenth floor, and she is wonderful. In fact, the entire staff is wonderful - from Victoria, the college student working for the summer at the breakfast buffet, to Mr. Sam - an original employee from the get-go. The valets always welcome you at the door, and the folks at the front desk wave as you come in. Everyone that works there asks if you are enjoying your stay, and they greet you with a big smile. It is quite simply the perfect family resort. The pool is fantastic. The beds are very comfortable, and the halls are quiet. It's nicely located at the desirable North end of the Virginia Beach Boardwalk. Who could ask for more? I doubt if any hotel at Virginia Beach has as many repeat guests. Book it and enjoy!

Room Tip: We like the high floors because all you see out the window is ocean. If you have small children and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us over the years and taking the time to review our hotel! I am very excited to hear you have enjoyed our friendly staff and amenities over the years. I appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. I know our staff is delighted to hear that you remember their names. Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope you have a great rest of the summer and we will see you again next year!
Springfield, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family checked in on 6/1. Let me tell you... This was one of the few times I've been to a hotel where 100% of the staff was truly amazing. As soon as we pulled up, the valet was very nice and got us a cart because we had tons of stuff with us (chairs, umbrella, coolers, beach tent, you name it). When we got inside we were informed our room was not ready and that they would call us when it was. Not a problem since we got there early anyway after having lunch at the new Jollibee! Yes, I am Filipino...

A very nice young woman named, Megan, checked us in and provided EXCELLENT service! She even called up to our room 10 min later to make sure everything was to our liking. The oceanfront room had a balcony with an awesome view. After hitting the beach, we rinsed off all the sand and put our stuff in the room. We then headed for the pool. The female bartender was really cool and made some awesome watermelon mojitos! Also, the female lifegaurd on duty was nice enough to bring us some towels because we neglected to bring any with us. The property has a beautiful outdoor pool with rock formations, waterfalls, and little water slide for the kids. They have an indoor pool and whirlpool as well.

For dinner, we were all seriously tired and just decided to order delivery. The restaurant didn't provide any plates so I made a quick call downstairs. I spoke with James and he said "Just come on down, we've got plenty here!". The next morning when we checked out, we dealt with another valet who was just as helpful and pleasant as the gentleman we encountered the day before. All in all, a fantastic stay thanks to the wonderful staff at this hotel. We will definitely be staying at this property in the future! I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quieter alternative to Ocean City... No offense to OC, but I am at a different stage in my life where I want peace and quiet!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel! Your comments are incredible to hear. I am so glad you were able to take advantage of our pool bar, complimentary valet, and the great view. Thank you for your appreciation of our excellent service and friendly staff. I hope you are able to visit us again!