You added Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Oceanfront Lights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just got back from a long weekend stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Virginia Beach. We received a Marriott gift card last December and decided to make use of it. We received a lovely greeting from James at the front desk.. He was pleasent and helpful and even when I keep calling to ask for more towels, and blankets, and pillows... he remained helpful... My husband asked about a late check out on Sunday and we were assured that there was no problem...

The rooms are large and comfortable.. We stayed in the Jacuzzi suite and had a nice sized Jacuzzi in the room.. The bed was comfortable and bedding was quite nice. The biggest problem with the room was the heat... It was chilly out and we needed some heat but the unit stayed on and didn't shut off.. So it got hot... and not in a good way... We had to leave the sliding door to the balcony cracked open all night..

The room did have a mini fridge - NO FREEZER - and no microwave, although a microwave was available downstairs need the front desk in the "Market".

We had dinner the first night at the "Bistro" downstairs - they have a full bar and make sandwiches, burgers, wraps, pizza, etc. The food was good.. not terribly pricey - but Sarah was great.. She was friendly and helpful.. My husband asked about good Sushi in town and we were directed to Otani's on Laskin Road. We also asked about movie theaters in the area and she suggested Beach Movie Bistro also on Laskin... Both were excellent choices.. Sarah also loaned us some REAL coffe cups for upstairs.. I hate those foam cups...

Housekeeping came by daily and since the "do not disturb" - really it says "i need some me time" - sign was on the door they left a bag of clean towels and shampoos and soaps... Ok, I do not like smelly things - but that soap was so wonderfully luxurious - citrus sage...

Since the Holiday Lights on the Boardwalk began that week we took the drive from 2nd street to 33rd street and enjoyed them.. If you have kids.. it is so much fun to drive down the boardwalk to see this holiday tradition.

We did use the pool and hot tub area. This is the real area that the hotel fell short.. The pool was not clean, really needed to be skimmed and vacummed. The hot tub never shut off.. There is a timer on the wall but it did not turn off.. the second day the hot tub was filled with foam... not from pouring in soap but too much chemical treatment. Also, when you are in the pool area and looking toward the beach it is lovely, however the opposite side is floor to ceiling glass windows looking out to the administrative hall of the hotel.. Just really icky and bland.. Some plants, something to liven it up would make a big difference..

The hotel has a little market just off the front desk which sells ice cream and chips and sodas, etc.. A pint of Ben and Jerry's was $7.00 - the little minis were $3. We bought a couple of minis thinking we could have them later on - and asked if the room fridge had a freezer - we were told it did - so we bought them and had to eat them right away - no FREEZER. Not really a big deal but the desk staff should know about the room accomodations.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view.. all rooms are ocean front
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our Bistro and enjoyed the friendly service of our Bistro Attendant, Sarah. She is very excited to hear your comments. I am glad you enjoyed the customer service given by James as well. Our Spa King room includes the king bed, Jacuzzi, mini fridge and an oceanfront balcony that is perfect for relaxation. I apologize that our staff misinformed you about the small freezer. The next time you are in Virginia Beach, I hope you are able to stay with us again. Have a wonderful rest of the year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
melfa, va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First time staying here but longtime rewards customer. Room 503 had an overwhelmingly mildew smell. After one night no maid service..just found a bag of clean towels on bathroom door. Common areas not vacuumed..elevators very untidy. Won't return here.

Room Tip: Not 503! Sorry marriott! Will speak to front desk before leaving.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel. I spoke with our housekeeping staff and management about your concerns. I assure you this is not a standard we present to our guests and it is unacceptable. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future. Have a great holiday season!
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I would definitely stay here again. The rooms were spacious, the views spectacular and the service at the front desk was second-to-none. Upon checking in, they hand out delicious, home-made chocolate chip cookies - a nice touch! The staff have excellent restaurant recommendations and the small bistro downstairs is perfect for breakfast.

My only complaint is that the gym is missing some free weights. It looks like someone stole the 5 lb, 8 lb, 10 lb and 12 lb weights and they haven't been replaced.

I was also a bit sad that the outdoor pool was closed, but it was mid-October, so I can't really complain about that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our cookies are baked fresh daily in our bistro! I appologize that some of our weights have gone missing from the gym. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will speak with our managers to get more weights. Hopefully next time you visit it will be in the summer when you can use our fun outdoor pool. Thanks again for your feedback and have a great rest of the year!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a very nice hotel to stay in for a few days while there on business. The staff was efficient and friendly which is a must for me. The breakfasts were plentiful and they had free coffee in the lobby. With a fridge in the room I was able to save my restaurant cold food leftovers! Right on the beach and with a patio, watching the sun come up every morning was a great start to a busy day. I was able to take advantage of lovely beach promenade walks and had dinner in a couple of the restaurants along the way. The room was comfortable except the pillows were way too soft so sleeping was an issue. I mentioned this to the front desk and they told me there were selections. I didn't see that. This hotel is a little way down the beach which I liked as it got me away from the bustle and noise further down. I would stay there again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel. I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the variety of options our bistro has to offer. We provide free coffee and tea in our lobby to stimulate a relaxing atmosphere. Every room in our hotel has an oceanfront view and a mini fridge in the room. I am glad you were able to stay with us and I hope you get the chance to stay again soon!
Philippi, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was a trip to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The pool is first rate. The staff friendly. Room was great. On the quieter North end of the Boardwalk. Room was spacious and very comfortable. The only problem, we didn't find the refrigerator until we were leaving. We only had a two night stay and spent most of the time on the beach and exploring the area since it was our first time to this vacation spot. We fell in love with the boardwalk and the ocean area in general.

Room Tip: All rooms here are ocean front. It will depend on King, Queen, Double, Suite, etc. to help you decid...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking the time to give us your feedback. Happy Anniversary! I am so glad to hear that you had a great time during your stay. Thank you for choosing our property to spend such a special occasion. I hope you will spend your next anniversary with us as well. Have a wonderful rest of your year!
Ridgeway, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The location was excellent! It was a little out of the middle of things,yet you were able to get in and out of the hotel without traffic problems. I took my bike and hit the boardwalk just about everywhere I went. The beach was not as crowded as down the strip, but was still well maintained. The outdoor pool was closed for swimming, but still kept clean and towels were available for lounging. The staff was friendly and would always ask if I needed anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I am very excited to hear you had a great time and enjoyed all that we have to offer at our hotel. I hope you have a great rest of the year and are able to come back again soon!
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I had a roomy suite with a relaxing ocean view during the last week of September. Front desk staffer Monique was especially helpful at my check-in and Alexis was very friendly a few days later. I didn't have any personal interaction with the housekeeping staff but they kept my room well supplied with towels and coffee, both important to me :-). When I return to Virginia Beach I will be happy to stay here again

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy that you had a great time on your vacation and enjoyed staying at our property. I will let Menique and Alexis know your feedback as they will be very excited about your comments. I look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Have a great rest of the year!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / N 37th St? Share your experiences!