“Don't judge a book by it's cover!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Falling Waters, West Virginia
“Don't judge a book by it's cover!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We first heard about this place on the TV series "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". At first appearance we were somewhat apprehensive. This restaurant is very unique and so is the food. The people working there are extremely friendly. The food portions are not only plentiful but delicious. While we are not local residents, we are in this area several times annually and will be sure to stop whenever we are in area. Don't be surprised to see chickens in the front yard!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Norfolk, Virginia
“Disappointed after all the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a restaurant with an inviting atmosphere and creative take on everyday food. The staff was friendly and attentive. Our food was just average though. My rockfish was so tiny, that I would have been embarrassed to serve it. I needed lemon, but the waitress did not get back in time. My roasted veggies were cold- not a bit of warmth. I complained and got more cold, shriveled up root vegetables. The salad was good and fresh, but my friend was disappointed that they ran out of homemade potato salad and she had to have chips. Desserts looked and sounded divine, but we decided to cut our losses and go elsewhere. Maybe we just tried the wrong dishes, but both me and my friend said "what's all the hype about?"

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reston Virginia
“We had a great lunch and good prices. I would come back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We great food and service but a bit hot . The menu was awesome. The location is a bit hidden of shore drive .

Visited July 2012
“Annoyed, Multiple Times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

True, Leaping Lizard is a charming spot with creative cuisine, but their customer service needs some work. Twice I've placed an order for my favorite dish, only to have the wait person come back (much later) to tell me they were out. If it's a popular dish, make more of it. And shouldn't the wait staff know ahead of time what dishes they're out of, or low on? Please tell me before I study the menu.

On my most recent visit I brought a friend, who had already had lunch, to sample one of their fabulous desserts. As we were being seated I asked if they had my favorite dish. "Oh, yes!" she answered. (You know where this is going.) She came back later and said she was wrong, they were out. I cancelled my order. My friend had to settle for an oatmeal cookie because the dessert person wasn't there that day. It took FOREVER to get the cookie. I thought surely because of the disappointment and slow service they would make the cookie complimentary. But no, we got a check for $6 for the cookie and two iced teas.

After learning that they now offer dinner I drove to LL one evening and was happy to see the "open" sign posted near the road. After I pulled in to the parking lot I could see it was actually closed. How hard would it be to pull up the little sign-on-a-stick so hungry customers won't be misled?

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Average food - poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband ate at the Leaping Lizard after reading all the great reviews. Our experience was different from most reviewers. My crab cakes had many pieces of shells in them, the side of aubergines was cold with thick hard skin, fish was largely tasteless. We got the appetizer after we got the entree our waiter could do with some customer service training. Great disappointment.

• Visited November 2012