“A great cheap option” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Newcastle Hotel

You added Newcastle Hotel to your Saves list
Newcastle Hotel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1201 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #79 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“A great cheap option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Me and my bf recently stayed here in sept for a few days we got a double standard room on the 8th floor. The beds were clean the rest of the room could use some work and some deep cleaning but all in all it was fine. Loved having the balcony view was amazing. Hair dryer didn't work and bath room was kind gross but typical hotel wear n tear. The staff downstairs was so friendly and housekeeping were sweet. The hotel provides free bikes to rent which was a ton of fun and location is spot on. Cheapest oceanfront room u can get will def be back again!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Charleston, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

This is an older Motel but for the price it is not bad. The hskpg staff were friendly and always did anything we asked. We were able to ride bikes for free owned by motel. View was Oceanfront and location was south of all the noise . If you are looking for an average motel for a descent price this place is old but ok. If you are picky and prefer places like Marriott or Hilton then that's where you should stay with mega price

• Stayed August 2012
Buena Vista, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

BUT it's very affordable and the employees all speak ENGLISH! Yes, it has some tile that needs repair and yes it's an older hotel. It probably had it's hey day in the 70's but it's really not bad for the money at all. It shows some age but everything was in working condition, the employees are top notch and extremely willing to please. Very few hotels on the Boardwalk have 1st floor walk out rooms (which is what I look for) and fewer still have employees that I can understand so this is a keeper for us. We just ended a week long stay and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The channel selection is minimal so if you're taking kids you may want to pack a portable dvd player and some disks in case of rainy nights. We don't go to the beach to hold up in a room so as long as it's clean (and it was totally acceptable) we're good with it. The rates are great. Parking IS a little tight on the lower level, but the second level is not bad to navigate. It has everything you need to make a vacation enjoyable. As I said, I'll definately be back since finding this little gem. We even extended our stay another night just because we didn't want to leave and come back to the real world. And as for the review about missing items, I left my laptop, cell phones, cameras, portable dvd player and wallet out several times during the day and it was all there after the maids had come can gone. The safe is set with your own personal 4 digit code and I'm guessing a master card is required to open it when it's coded. We did use the safe when we remembered and had no trouble at all with it. The doors all have several locks on them to use from the inside if we had wished but I'm not really a lock type person so we were probably a little negligent using locks. It just felt safe and secure. I don't know about video cameras. They probably don't have them yet. We liked the place for what it is.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Colonial Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have been staying at the Newcastle for several years now. It was the first hotel I ever took my youngest daughter too and they have also been very accommodating with regards to specific room requests. Their maintenance is top notch with a less than 10 minute turn around time 95% of the time if there is an issue with the room - which most of the time is a result of an inconsiderate guest who had stayed in the room prior. It is an older hotel so it does need work. I see a maintenance staff that is constantly working to repair and/or upgrade. The rooms are clean and accommodations are commensurate with the rates. I have stayed in-season and off-season and stay approximately 3 or more times per year. I will continue to plan my Virginia Beach vacations at this hotel......best end of the beach as well.....not as many people, especially in-season. The office staff is great, the best and that is part of the reason I keep coming back! I see negative reviews which are people who want Hilton accommodations for Motel 6 pricing.....I especially like the fact that every day they clean up mounds of sand brought in by their guests and never once complain! I have seen signs at other hotels and businesses that state "leave the sand on the beach"....these are OCEANFRONT hotels, it is to be expected! Good Job Newcastle! The only thing I would change (and they are working on this issue as well) is they need more routers on each floor to accommodate the demand for internet bandwidth from their guests.

Room Tip: The King Deluxe Rooms are the nicest, very spacious and comfortable and a great value!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I check into my room put my belongings inside left the room foor 30 mins when i returned ALL of my belongings were GONE! When i went to the front desk the clerks response was "what do you want me to do about it?" The police was called...no forced entry..which means someone had to have a key! Now the hotel is telling me there insurance company isnt going to compensate me for my loss due to the fact of it being a very small safe in the room that i was suppose to fit two large suitcases worth of things in...my 20 day old laptop, digital camera, expensive jewlry from overseas, expensive shoes, and clothing GONE! I had to go out and buy new itemso. I didnt stay at the hotel at all a friend was nice enough to let me stay. To add insult to injury the manager acknowledged it being now forced entry...thete was no security cameras onsite as well....My privacy and safety was violated and at risk and the hotel isnt liable!!!!??? What if I hadnt left for those few mins??? It could have ended deadly....what if I was asleep in the room or in the shower?? when whomever just came in the room with the key that I was told at the front desk prior that the key had just been cut for me right then at check in which obviously was a lie!! So if I had put things in the safe what good was that going to do? If the person or persons haf a key to the room they had the combo to the safe az well! Please be careful at this hotel! Anything of value if you have no other option but to stay here leave them in your car its much safer!!! God Blessings!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Newcastle last summer and enjoyed it. It's simple, not too over the top and not overly modern. We liked the oceanfront view and the restaurant was pretty good, we especially enjoyed the live music from the restaurant every night from our balcony. We were prepared to stay there again this summer. I booked the trip in March for the 1-5 of July. We called to make sure our reservation was solid and just waited and anticipated our trip. Little did we know, the hotel had made a mistake that they didn't catch until 2 weeks before our trip. Apparently they had booked us on top of another guest and by then their rooms were all filled up. All they did was give us the deposit back. They didn't offer to to try and find us a room somewhere else and my husband had to talk to like 3 different people to even figure out what exactly had gone wrong. The staff is obviously incompetent. If you want an oceanfront hotel, bite the bullet and spend a little extra to stay at a nicer place. If that doesn't matter to you go stay a La Quinta. It's not oceanfront but it is very moderately priced and you get a comfier bed, better cable, continental breakfast and a cleaner pool with the choice of an indoor or outdoor pool. That was the hotel we used before we tried the Newcastle and if we decide not go oceanfront we will probably stay at La Quinta again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Older hotel, that needs some T L C . Great location, friendly staff, if your on a budget but want ocean front than you take the good and the bad.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Newcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!