“Surprisingly Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Newcastle Hotel

You added Newcastle Hotel to your Saves list
Newcastle Hotel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1201 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #79 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Pittsburgh
“Surprisingly Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Just got home from a trip to VA Beach. We stayed a couple nights at the Springhill Suites, but the weather was supposed to be high 70 and sun, so was thinking of staying another day. Looked around, and the Newcastle was the cheapest with an indoor pool (must have for my nephew). Instead of paying 116+ tax, we stayed at the newcastle for 44+ tax. Wish I would've stayed here first, could've stayed all three nights for just about the price of one night at the SHS.

I was a little worried after reading some reviews (although, this place is either great or horrible it seems), but figured why not give it a try.

First, I'm shocked that a couple reviews mention rudeness. I called the night before arrival and the gentleman on the phone was very nice. Quoted me a price, then took all my info, and I had a room. Arrived to two friendly ladies at the desk, who told me I was on the 5th floor but if I wanted higher/lower they could accommodate this time of year. They also told me to call/stop in with any questions/concerns. There were also two ladies there at check out who were very warm. I encountered 6 employees (including the housekeeper who wished us a good day on the way out of our room) and all were extremely friendly.

The hotel itself is a little worn, but it's clean. Really, to me, that's all that matters. It may not be fresh and sparkly, but it's clean and cheap.

The room was basic, but did have a microwave/fridge/safe/whirlpool tub. Just like the hotel in general, it could use a remodel, but it works just fine as is. All the equipment in the room worked, and the view from the window/balcony from the 5th floor was amazing. As with everything else in the hotel, the room was clean (sheets/towels/bathroom/etc).

The beds weren't all that comfortable, but not horrible. They felt the same as the beds in the SHS, and for double the price at SHS I'd expect more. The one thing I can say was absolutely horrible about the Newcastle was the pillows. Take your own as two of theirs are still thiner than most you'd find anywhere else.

The indoor pool was quite spacious. It was heated, and it was actually heated a bit too much. It was sort of a combo of a pool/hot tub, as it was probably about 85, but it felt quite nice in the evening after taking a stroll in the cool air. I would hope in the summer they don't keep the heat up, as it wouldn't be refreshing after a hot day on the beach.

Other than the pillows, the only other thing I could see being an issue is the elevators. The hotel wasn't crowded this time of year, but they seemed quite slow, and I could see the potential for waiting for it when the place is full. Not sure if this happens or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

In comparing this to the SHS, I'd chose Newcastle. It's MUCH cheaper, the internet works better, beds were of the same comfort, and both have indoor pools, friendly staff, comparable balconies/views. The SHS just looks nicer, and you do have a little more room with the sitting area (which is a nice bonus, but is it worth that much $?).

If your looking for bright/new/fancy, this is NOT the place for you. If you're looking for an affordable/convenient/comfortable/clean place to stay, with nice staff, great views and don't mind a place that's old, this IS the place for you.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kulpmont, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

First, when we arrived they gave us grief about the credit card we had used to book the room. We had booked online in October and my boyfriend's card had since been stolen so he canceled it. But since he didn't have that card anymore they weren't going to allow us to stay without paying the entire price (including the deposit) there. He informed the clerk that the deposit had long since cleared and after consulting with her manager the clerk allowed us to just pay the difference. When we got to our room (10th floor), the room smelled horribly of cigarette smoke although they claim that it's a non-smoking hotel. I have really bad allergies and after 10 minutes of being in the room, I was coughing. We went to the desk and explained and they switched us to a different room. This room was one door over from the original room. We went in and the second room was not any better. Smelled like cigarette smoke and mold. Again we went to the desk and they said that they would spray the room (which didn't help, just made it smell like chemicals). We gave them a chance to clean the room and it still smelled. We decided to get our money refunded and go elsewhere. Staff didn't even care that I was near an asthma attack from the allergens/unclean conditions in the room. Will never stay here again. Beware..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. We got a great rate for one of the deluxe rooms, with a jet tub in the room, as well as a balcony on the oceanside and a large window with a view of the city-side. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was nice and clean. The only complaint is they were working on one of the elevators, so there was only one functioning, but our stay was great. Wonderful location, beautiful views, all for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms on the top floor have views on both sides and jet tubs in the room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Buena Vista, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My family visited VA Beach to enjoy the holiday lights and we stayed here. The pool felt like a hot tub which was wonderful in December with the outside temperature so cold. The hallways were nice and warm as well so that you didn't freeze on the way back from the pool. There were also 2 bathrooms at the pool which were both very clean and well kept. The rooms were nice and each room has a jacuzzi tub..which my children absolutely loved. My daughter was recovering from pneumonia and had a coughing spell during the night. The hotel provided us with clean blankets as soon as we asked for them the next day from her medicine spill. All hotel staff were extremely helpful and courteous. We would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Charles Town, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at the Newcastle last weekend. It was cold out, but we just needed a getaway. We enjoyed our oceanview room. We stayed in the King Suite. The jacuzzi was so nice. We highly recommend this hotel. The staff is very friendly. If you are looking for total luxury, this may not be the place for you, but if you want to relax and enjoy a romantic weekend, it is perfect. The only complaint that we have is that the bathroom wasn't in the best of shape, but it is an older hotel. We easily overlooked the flaws. The rates at this time of the year are incredible. Not only is it a nice romantic getaway, but the hotel is also a nice place for a family vacation as well. We will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

After reading the mixed reveiws for this hotel, I was apprehensive about staying there. Let me put your fears to rest. My husband and I just stayed there last week (Oct 9-14) Granted it is an older hotel however, it was very clean and the staff was amazing. Check in was fast and easy. The room was as described on the website and the jacuzzi was in working order. Please take a chance on this place we did and were not disappointed! We will be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Mount Airy, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night in September. I was afraid the commode was going to fall it rocked so bad. It was not anchored to the floor. My morning (7am)shower water was barely warm. The garden tub took up half the tiny bathroom so you could hardly shut the door.
After I got home I remembered I had left my nightgown hanging on the back of the bathroom door so I called to ask the front desk about it and after several phone calls I was told the maid said nothing was left in the room, which I know is not true, and it had not showed up in the laundry, so she had to have taken it.
We asked the front desk where to eat breakfast since we did not know they provided breakfast in their dining area and one lady told us several places to go and the other lady seemed anoyed that she did not tell us about their breakfast and told us her husband cooked the breakfast in their dining room. We did eat there the next morning and the food was ok, but there was only one girl waiting on everybody and she was not happy about being left by herself to wait all the tables.

It appears the help may not be that happy with these people.

The building definitely needs painting and some TLC.

Do not plan to stay here again. I have stayed at the Quality Inn on the Boardwalk in past years and definitely 100% more satisfied. The only reason we did not stay there was could not get a reservation for one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Newcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!