“Great Stay at Turtle Cay” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #51 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Laytonsville, Maryland
“Great Stay at Turtle Cay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We spent 8 days at Turtle Cay Resort, Virginia Beach, VA. Jamie and CC at the front desk were most accommodating. We had room124 overlooking the pool area. Our room was clean and spacious. Turtle Cay is located at 5th and Atlantic and very short walk to the board walk, restaurants and the beach. Looking forward to returning next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynette F, Manager at Turtle Cay Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
“Thank you for your kind words about our resort. Jaime and Cici will most definitely be pleased to know they were most accommodating to you and your family.

We hope to see you and your family sooner than later.”

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
mass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Chris at the front desk was extremely helpful getting us checked in. We had a two bdrm suite with a balcony overlooking the pool. A quick walk across the street and we were at the boardwalk, listening to the band at the Sixth St band-shell or down onto the beach. At that end of town it is quiet and not crazy like up on 22nd. The grandchildren spent part of the week and we had plenty of room for everyone. The kids had a great time in the pools and we enjoyed the loungers. A fun place to hang out.
We can't wait til next year to do it again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lynette F, General Manager at Turtle Cay Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
“Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that Kris was able to get you and your family checked into the resort in a quick and helpful manner.
I agree that our location is favorable with families since we are located on the southern end of the resort area and away from the crowds, yet you are still near the area’s best restaurants and attractions.
Please come back and see us again soon.”

si
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Turtle Cay has a classic look for a resort. It is near the beach but not directly on the beach. The location is just right. If it was on the beach it would be way to noisy. By being across the street from the beach everything is just perfect. The rooms are nice and have a king bed and a pull out couch and a flat screen TV. The kitchen has a decent size with stainless steel appliances. The bathrooms are large and has a jaccuzzi. Every room has a balcony overlooking the pools and hot tubs. They have a large pool for kids with mini waterfalls and an adult pool with a large waterfall. The front desk will give you fresh and new towels everyday. It is definetly family orientated. They have two average sized hot tubs near each other. One of the problems are that the rooms can be kept cleaner. Luckily the front desk is always ahead and helpful right when you need them. A good thing is that when you get their the front desk always gives you a list of all the activities going on at the moment. I totally recommend this resort if going to Virginia beach.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are the best views unless you need a two bedroom than the third floor is the best...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
: “Thank You for you review on TripAdvisor. Our associates and I are pleased that you overall enjoyed our accommodations in one of our newly refurbished kitchen suites.

I do want to apologize the cleanliness being below standard. I assure you that we take cleanliness and quality very seriously at our resort.

I agree that our pools and hot tubs are our “trademark feature” which draws many of our repeat guests back year after year.

We hope that you choose to stay with us again while in the Virginia Beach area.”

Washington Township, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We got a suite which was good. It did not look over the pool but did have a balcony. The front desk was helpful. The pool area was excellent and made our stay worthwhile. With two pools and hot tubs, waterfalls it was a great place to hang out!!

• Stayed August 2013
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

this hotel needs better security people go through the parking lot and into the hotel this is dangerous.the rooms need to be updated and cleaner the room does not smell clean they gave me a blanket for the baby it had holes in it.i witness a young man urinating in the hallway.again where is security no where to be found a woman was screaming for 45 minutes and security never showed up her boyfriend was hurting her.there is no restaurant on the premises or bar very inconvinient the only good part is the pool .alot of moskitos because of the light outside the doors everytime you enter or exit the moskitos enter the rooms and bite you up all night long.

Room Tip: go in the rooms before booking the pictures in the computer lie
Staunton, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have been going to Virginia Beach for summer vacations and getaways for 5 years, sometimes 3 times a year. Turtle Cay has been a place we always wanted to stay and now that we have a 1 year old child, now was the best time for it as we know it would be a nice place, clean and comfortable for the whole family. We booked our reservation online. It feels like we bought a broken dream. We intended on putting our son to bed early in the evening and being able to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view of the pool. I had no idea there were even rooms with no balcony. The floors in our room were so dirty, my little boys feet were almost black with in just a few hours of walking around. The first night I decided to go online and look at other people's reviews of Turtle Cay and saw complaints of roaches, so I looked around to be sure we weren't taking home any creepy crawlers and didn't find them but did notice how dirty the tile was in front of the front door, there were brown spots all over it that you could scrape up with a paper towel around the edge of the door and under where the cabinets are. The bathtub plug wasn't attached and very old. There was only a sink in the bathroom, no counter top around it. I had to sit on the floor in the poorly lit room to do my makeup using the closet door mirror. The bathroom was surrounded with metal bars as if we were in a handicap room. It seriously felt like a high school bathroom and smelled heavily like bleach. And why on earth is there no toilet lid? Another area of the room not suitable for a young child. The lamp beside our bed also did not work. Within a short time of being in our room the first day, we contacted the front desk questioning why we got the room that we did. They advised us that because we booked online the balcony rooms were not available for us but we could upgrade for the rest of the nights we were staying, and would call us back to tell us how much it would be. We waited several hours. So we went down to the lobby to see if they had that information yet. They "forgot" to call me. And informed me they no longer have that upgraded room available except for one night of our stay. I asked for the code to the wifi and they said there isn't one and weren't able to instruct me how to access the internet using an iPad. We went out to dinner and when we returned we noticed all the other vehicles had parking passes in the their cars and we didn't get one. So I had to stop in again and the same girl said "she had it right there but FORGOT to call us". Our first night we were also annoyed at how LOUD the streets are the jets (both things you can't control unless the hotel was built better) and the walls were paper thin, I could hear our neighboring room guests arguing. We decided enough was enough, our idea of a "resort" was beginning to be twice the price we could have paid to stay at a comfort inn. When we called, management offered a $50 gift card to one of the resort restaurants. We declined, as we plan our vacation out before we came down and we surely weren't interested in being disappointed again. They said someone would be in touch with us regarding our complaints. When we checked out and asked how our stay was I voiced my complaints again, and they were able to look at information recorded by the people we spoke with. She again, offered me the $50 card. I explained that we were leaving that day and wouldn't use it anyway. She said she would offer me 25% off our bill BUT because we booked online she couldn't do that for us but she will have management call and see if there was something they could do. As we were outside putting our son in the car and getting ready to leave she came outside with the card anyway.

Room Tip: rooms facing Pacific Avenue have loud traffic
Raritan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

When I booked this vacation, I did so thinking that if my family decided against going to Virginia Beach, VA - I would just cancel. I had booked it in February for a July vacation which, under normal circumstances, would be PLENTY of time to cancel without paying a penalty. The reservation page took all my credit card information but I failed to notice that I could not get a refund or change my reservation, until I confirmed all my information. The charge hit my credit card immediately - I called the reservation number within 1 hour of making the reservation and they basically told me "sorry, there are absolutely no refunds or changes once you confirm". So that was my bad, but seriously...what a poor business model this is, especially since it was well over 5 months in advance! I decided to make the best of the situation, we reserved a 2 Queen "suite" - which was fine except the fact that the sheets felt like sandpaper, the blankets felt like sandpaper and the bath towels actually HURT. After spending entire days on the beach, one would appreciate a soft bath towel. So I didn't like that part of the hotel so far, then housekeeping forgot to put sheets on both beds one night, didn't give us toilet tissue another time, didn't empty the garbage cans, so then I didn't like THAT part either. But the worst part of this hotel is that the walls are made of cardboard. The room that was next to ours was an actual "family suite" and they had a full kitchen. We could HONESTLY hear our neighbors wrapping food in seran wrap. That's how thin the walls were. You could hear every word they said in their conversation like they were standing next to you. One night, someone in their room opened a beverage and we could hear it being poured in to the glass. Unbelievable. The outside traffic noise is AWFUL. You will NOT get any sleep at this resort. I would say, for the money I spent (very over-priced for the value), next time I go there I will pay a little more and stay at the Marriott or the Hilton. At least then I know I'll get quality for my money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Turtle Cay Resort? Share your experiences!