“The best of both worlds” 5 of 5 stars

Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2800 Shore Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23451-1327   |
Ranked #58 of 112 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“The best of both worlds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My Family just stayed at the resort and I can tell ever one what a place to stay and a view to see.
Its on the Chesapeake Bay and the view is Breath taking . It has water sports as well as a pool and work our area.The best thing is that its only 15 minutes from the beach , so you can jump in the middle of the crowd and at the end of day jump out . The service is great and if you have a problem just ask the front desk and they will fix it .

Room Tip: Make sure you get a bay front room , the extra price is worth it . if a storm comes through at night...
    • 5 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Our bay front location surely is the best spot on the beach and we are delighted that you enjoyed your time here with us. As you discovered, there are plenty of activities to take advantage of here at the hotel (as well as nearby) and we are only minutes from the oceanfront. Thanks for staying with us and please be sure to keep in touch via Facebook!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was very excited to visit Virginia Beach a couple weeks ago. Packed up my bag and drove down. Great road trip, but I was so disappointed. The only great thing was that the water was warm and I could walk along the beach and see the really huge ships anchored along the shore. Incredible to see.

Beyond this, the hotel is absolutely terrible; although I have to say that the staff were fantastic.

The first night there was a fire alarm at 1 am, which somehow I heard only somehow screaming. It sounded like people in the hall were having a party, so I ignored the whole thing and heard about it the next day. The food at the hotel was, at best, really bad. The elevators were super slow...it was better to walk the stairs. And, the prices were higher than I would ever think for such an experience. In short, I would never recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Don't good here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying at our bay front resort and for your kind words about our fantastic staff. It’s disappointing to hear that your evening was interrupted by the noise from some nearby guests and we apologize for their behavior. Our goal is to provide relaxing comfortable accommodations and wish you had a more peaceful time while you were here.
Ville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Much quieter atmosphere than the boardwalk area. Bayside beach way safer for children and more relaxing for parents too! Fun kids club for children. All suites rooms. Could use some updating, but nothing that would prevent me from returning. I was here for 4 days this month, will be returning in 2 weeks for a 5 day trip and again in August for another 5 days. Rooms by elevators are the bay front suites which means they are a bit noisy if folks are chatty in the halls...just an fyi :)

Room Tip: Bay front suites are close to elevators so they can be a bit noisy.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

The building and grounds need a complete renovation. Location on bay is nice. Did not try the food. Personnel were nice and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
We appreciate the compliment about our staff and thank you for staying at our bay front resort hotel.
Missoula, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am less than pleased with my stay here. I was given keys to rooms which were not cleaned yet and some still had people's belongings in them. 4 trips up and down the elevator and I got a simple "sorry mam". My room keys didn't work the majority of the time and NO I didn't have them next to my phone or credit cards. The hotel is outdated. The room set-up makes no sense with the beds being the first thing you stumble upon (even more of a problem when you try to check into a room already occupied). The worst part is that it is quite expensive to stay at this place and for what?? I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Your experience at our bay front resort is not what we had planned for you and we apologize for the frustrating time with your room key. That is not typical of the service we provide and we will ensure it does not happen in the future. Thank you for staying with us and for your valuable feedback.
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I really wanted to love this hotel despite the reviews I read prior to traveling w/my family for a conference my husband was attending there. It is a large ugly white cement monstrosity that is lost in the 70s with its interior decor (but probably very hurricane proof!) Our "bayview" room overlooked the parking lot and trash dump funnel below, a building in the forground that obstructed our bay view that was barely visible unless we stood at the very corner of our deck. The room is very roomy, beds comfortable. Our kids loved the heated indoor/outdoor pool that was a lifesafer on 2 chilly days. The beach is quiet compared to actual "Virginia Beach" 8 miles down the road with its wall of hotels and sea of people on the beach - maybe you like this, we prefered the quiet - a plus for VBR. The beach is also very shallow for a long ways out into the water and was very fun to play in, we found seashells and seaglass though not directly on the ocean. The worst, upon arriving the first day and exiting our car in front of the hotel we were greated by the smell of trash - the main hotel trash basins are located in front of the hotel, who does that!?? The front of the hotel always smelled of trash. Unbelievable. I can always find a way to like the places we stay, and while I did mention a few pluses, we were happy to check out and head for the North Carolina outer banks at the end of the conference. Update this place!!! And move your trash, really!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for one that is absolutely FACING the ocean head-on, otherwise you may end up in one that is at...
1 Thank StephieKansas
, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
We are grateful that you brought your entire family and stayed with us here on the Chesapeake Bay. The indoor/outdoor pool and easy access to the private beach typically is a hit for families with kids and we’re glad you enjoyed your time here. Your candid comments are helpful and feel confident that all guest feedback is closely examined.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in my life and Virgina Beach Resort Hotel tops the "bad list." The one bright side is that the hotel compensated us for all the trouble and dissapointment they enparted on our stay. When my family first got there they ended up switching rooms since the first room was severly lacking in what is expected with a hotel room. Such as: no "do not disturbe sign," no laundry bag, all the rugs (even in their current room) were discussting and the couch look and smelled like someone died on it. The room my parents switched to was a bit better but still had a rug you would be afraid to walk on barefoot. Lets not forget the mold and drainage problems in the shower, something both my parents and my room suffered from.

This hotel is overall in desperate need of a renovation. Couches are stained and ripped, furniture is marked up and walls are paper thin. I feel terrible for the staff here. The computers they still use at the front desk are straight from the early 1980's and the room keys don't even have a magnetic strip. We had to go down 3 times to get our keys recoded and reception gave the impression this happend to every guest multiple times. They also got our booking messed up and had us as checking out a day earlier, thus locking us out of our room at 11pm after a long, tiring day.

The tradewinds restaurant is deficiently understaffed. For breakfast, the restaurant will be practically empty but you can bet on having an hour plus meal due to staffing issues. A simple yogurt and granola took over an hour to make! And forget about getting getting silverware in a timely manner. All they really need is 3 more waiters to fix this issue but I have a feeling whoever owns this hotel is the cheapest person alive.

All I have to say is I would not be as disappointed with this hotel if it had a 2-3 star rating, I would know what I was getting my self into. But a 5! That's false advertisement at its best.

• Stayed June 2012