“Very nice, clean room but very expensive on holidays” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   196 Ballard Court, Virginia Beach, VA 23462   |
Ranked #56 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
Raleigh, NC
“Very nice, clean room but very expensive on holidays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here on Saturday night over Labor Day, when almost all motels in the Virginia Beach area are full. The cost for that one night was $120 plus tax, just under $140 total- much more expensive than the regular season, but probably typical for most area motels on this holiday.
The front desk staff were nice and I was quickly checked-in.

I was in the back wing of the motel toward the end, but not on the same side as the dumpster, which might explain why I didn't see any cockroaches or pests that other visitors have had. My room was very nice- with a refrigerator, microwave, TV, and a very nice work desk. The wi-fi was very strong and I had no problem getting a good connection.

The bed and bathroom linens were very clean, and I was able to get a good restful night's sleep, it was very quiet.

This motel is located just off Highway 264 and is in an area with several other motels, although I didn't see any fast food nor service stations in the area, compared to other nearby exits. Also, there is no vending that I saw in the motel except for a single soda machine, for which I had to walk all the way over to the other wing of the motel- which would not have been pleasant if it had been raining.

Based on my own experiences, if the rooms are less expensive on non-holiday weeks, I wouldn't mind staying here. Still- the other reviews are troubling; it sounds as if the rooms are either great or a nightmare, and the experiences with management are disturbing. I didn't have a bad experience myself- and I know there are two sides to every story, but I'd rather deal with good management that takes care of problems in an imperfect motel, versus hostile management that won't fix problems in an otherwise great motel, and it sounds like this motel needs some work in that area. Because of that, I would suggest checking the room before taking it, but if the room work out, it is a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Check room for cleanliness/pests before accepting it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Beckley, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

It was evident that the stay at this location was going to be a good one. The staff was courteous and helped me get settled. A professionally run organization. A stay at this hotel will be a must to all I recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RRI-93, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with others. I will be sure to pass your comments on to my staff as they enjoy hearing what our guests are saying.
We are excited to let you know that we are currently upgrading our room package. We look forward to offering you a new room on your next visit.
Thank you again for your business and your positive comments.
GARNER
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been staying here for several years on trips to VA Beach. The first time I stayed this year things were really different. The room was not as clean as usual, there was no safe in the room, and there were several small repairs that needed to be made (one was a broken in half receptacle cover). The Red Roof Inn website screwed up my reservation, so I ended up paying for 2 nights instead of one and was refused a refund. The manager was a condescending snot and as a "Concession" offered me a 20% discount on the night I didn't stay. I told him if he was that desperate for money he could keep the 20%.

I received a survey from Red Roof Corporate when I returned home and left a litany of complaints. To this day they have not responded. I have been a Redi Card member since 2007 and since then have spent well over 100 nights at Red Roof Inns. That night was my last one. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Farmville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

After checking in(at 2:45 p.m. Sat. Aug. 11, 2012), discovered no toilet paper, hand towels, bath towels or soap. Went to front desk, and was told that items would be there shortly. Told them we were going out to lunch, wife had to use restroom. Went to Denny's, just across the street, and retunred to room at about 4 p.m. STILL none of the above. Went back to front desk, different person. He told me he had to wait for his co-worker to retun. By 9:30, still no items!!!!! Went back to front desk, and had them hand me the necessities. As soon as I retuned to the room, wife was EXTREMELY upset. She told me to go into the bathroom. Turned on the light and about 50 ROACHES were crawling all over the place!!!! I immediately went back to the desk, and inquired about their refund policy. This was at about 10:05 p.m. Was told the G.m. would be in Sun. @ 10 a.m. In the meantime, I spent the whole night looking for another hotel. Found one just an exit away on 264. Checked them out, price was good, so I decided to move family there, but not until I straightened things out w/ G.M. After talkimg w/ him he was more than willing to give me a refund. HOWEVER, it would take 3-5 days to process!!! Then when I told him about the time difference between his check-out, and the other hotels check in time, I asked him what he could do about that. He could NOT let me stay past chec-out, but did give me a discount on the second night, which we were not even going to use. THEN.......I find out tuesday a.m. that the RED ROOF INN double charged me, which put my checking account over $500.00 on the negative. I used the cash on hand to book other room!!! Now, we're on VACATION, with almost no cash, and a 2 1/2 yr. old grandson!!! Went back on monday to check out problem, and all I got were lies, lies , lies from front desk staff. One told me he was at luch, would be back @ 2:30. I asked if she could contact him, she told me no, he does not have a cell phone. I returned at 2:30, another clerk told me he went to the bank, would be back shortly. I asked her if she could contact him. She picks up the phone, and gets him right away!!!! When talking to g.M, he tells me he's out of town!!!!! Lies, lies, lies!!!! I finially got MOST of my money refunded, bit by bit, by Thursday!!! Had to have someone wire us money to eat for 3 days. This practice of having to WAIT for their attempt at defrauding a customer is totally un-acceptible. b.T.w., the SECOND charge was processed at 10:10 p.m. that Saturday night, AFTER I complained about the ROACHES and their policy on a refund!!! But, had my bank not called me late Monday afternoon, i would never had known it. I still do not have all my money back, i'm awaiting the refund on all the fees I incurred at my bank, oover $125.00. and I have a 9 a.m. appy. with my attorney this a.m. I have my bank statements and the hotels print outs of all charges, so there can be no denying on Red Roof's part of the attempted fraud!!!!! As far as the other reviews go, I can only ask what was the location of your rooms? Our was around back, with their dumpster across the parking lot. That may expalin the roaches. I guess we were lucky there were NO rats!!!! Will NEVER stay here, or in another RED ROOF INN , even if they foot the bill, paid for meals, and let me choose vacation spot. My attorney will be contacting them sometime today. As will the local HEA\LTH DEPARTMENT.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The staff was helpful and welcoming. The room was clean and the water was hot and I definately needed a theraputic hot steamy bath. The pool looked inviting which I plan to viset this weekend since we will probably be checking back in for a relaxing weekend by the pool. It was a wonderful to have HBO to catch up on my favorite series and the bed was pretty comfortable because I woke up with my headache gone. Its a convenient location with plenty of convenient places to eat and pick up things you need within walking distance. I have to say the price was great compared to all other hotels in area and I was completely satisfied and comfortable with my stay.

Room Tip: rooms seemed nice on the south side where we stayed
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I recently spend two nights in the Red Rood Inn Virginia Beach and enjoyed my stay. The property is a older one but well maintained. The property boasts an outdoor pool that is small but very nice. The location of this property is between Norfolk and Va Beach waterfront and right off the highway. The property is surrounded by restaurants and other motels. It is not well known but the property is within walking distance of "The Tide" ; which is Norfolk's electric train. (About a 10 minute walk or .25 mile away). The rooms are on par with other Red Roof Inns. There is amble parking and Coffee every morning in the office. I would return if in the area for a good value room; as this is good economy lodging.

Room Tip: This is a two story exterior entry building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I checked in the hotel on 2nd of August and i was very impressed with my overall stay. the rooms were great and clean for the price! All the staff were very nice espically the young man working the front desk he was very helpful and made sure that we had everything we needed i believe his name was joe he had great hospitality skills along with all of the workers, judging by the staff i would have thought it was a 4 or 5 star hotel! I plan on returning in future and anyone that is planing on coming to the area i will be sure to recommend this hotel. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GUYS!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!