“Good location, basic rooms, good value!” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   196 Ballard Court, Virginia Beach, VA 23462   |
Ranked #52 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good location, basic rooms, good value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I recently spend two nights in the Red Rood Inn Virginia Beach and enjoyed my stay. The property is a older one but well maintained. The property boasts an outdoor pool that is small but very nice. The location of this property is between Norfolk and Va Beach waterfront and right off the highway. The property is surrounded by restaurants and other motels. It is not well known but the property is within walking distance of "The Tide" ; which is Norfolk's electric train. (About a 10 minute walk or .25 mile away). The rooms are on par with other Red Roof Inns. There is amble parking and Coffee every morning in the office. I would return if in the area for a good value room; as this is good economy lodging.

Room Tip: This is a two story exterior entry building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I checked in the hotel on 2nd of August and i was very impressed with my overall stay. the rooms were great and clean for the price! All the staff were very nice espically the young man working the front desk he was very helpful and made sure that we had everything we needed i believe his name was joe he had great hospitality skills along with all of the workers, judging by the staff i would have thought it was a 4 or 5 star hotel! I plan on returning in future and anyone that is planing on coming to the area i will be sure to recommend this hotel. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GUYS!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

For the money for the stay this place is quite nice. There's always that eerie feeling when you're staying in a cheap motel. Though the service is very good and all the employees are very nice and assertive. Everything in the room was very clean, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
South Point, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

spent a night at the hotel red roof inn in virgina beach on 7/29. The night I stayed i had unpacked and settled in to relax when a ROACH (I have pictures) climbed up the wall. I took the roach to the office to show the lady & she was not interested in seeing it all. I requested a refund so that i could go to another hotel and spend the night & i was told that she could not refund my money till the following morning when the GM came in. She wanted to switch me from room 140 to 145. She refused to look at the roach & immediately wanted to transfer me. When i asked if this was something that happened often she reassured me that it was not. But she didnt even want to see the bug. She just wanted to transfer me no questions asked. Which made me feel really uncomfortable. I asked if there was anyway i could just go to another hotel with the money & she told me no one could give me my money back till in the morning. I paid her with cash and didnot have access to more funds to go and check into another hotel that nite so i took my kids & went to the 2nd room (145) i looked the room over to be sure this time. & found a dead roach in 145. Take both roaches BACK to the office & I was told "They spray for the bugs then sweep the dead ones up. She must have sprayed & forgot to sweep after." (ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?) She just hung her head when i walked in with the dead roach. I begged her to find a way to get my $ back even broke down crying in the lobby. She said that her hands were tied and that there was nothing she could do but give me some bug spray & let me stay in room 145. with the choice of sleep in my car with 3 babies or sleep in 145 i took the room. She offered me a bottle of "bug spray" as she called it. It took her a few mins to find this bottle because she told me "It's not labelled correctly so we have to double look before we get it out." She then hands me a bottle that is labelled OCEAN WAVES by ECOLAB and reassures me that it will not harm my children. How can give a customer chemicals that are supposed to kill roaches in a bottle with the incorrect label and reassure me that is going to do no harm to my children? Next morning I contact the GM. I asked him to come down to our room to talk because i did not want to air this out in the lobby where there were customers. He refused. told me to come down to the office. Instead i walked with him outside the front office to talk. I informed him of everything that had happened the night before and he told me to go to my room collect my things and check out immediately that he had to call ECOLAB and report the issue. That he wanted me to "go away" Ok. you couldnt give me my money back to go to another room and it was ok for me to sleep with roaches but not ok for me to take the last 1.5 hours in my time to stay to take a shower before making a 12 hour journey back to ohio? He was very rude with me and was not even interested in seeing the bugs or the chemicals or even explaining any of it to me! He said that he would issue me a refund when i checked out. go back down to the office where he asks me to sign numerous paperwork releasing the hotel from any liability. i refused to sign and he gave me back a refund of $50 and change. when i know i sent $70 to spend the night. Furious with ANOTHER mistake him and his hotel has made i went back in he apoligised took $20 dollars out of the drawer behind the front counter and handed it to me. Didnt count the drawer didnt could his funds just handed me the $20 like he knew he shorted me. As if he was trying to see if i was paying attention? All of this is on camera in the lobby and i have contacted customer relations who at first time me that A district manager would be contacting me within 48hours 7/29 it is now 8/9. i called guest relations today he said that because i was issued a refund nothing further could be done and my case has been closed. EVEN THO I HAVE TALKED TO NO ONE ABOUT THIS!Was this review helpful? (Yes — No) Report a problem

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The room was clean and smelled great. I would recommend this hotel especially for the price. Nice pool. Had a great 2 night stay. Would absolutely stay again. Close to the beach and points of interest. Very quiet. Grounds were well kept.

Room Tip: Superior king room featured microwave and refrigerator. Bed was huge and comfortable
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed in this hotel two nights with my wife. When checking in the system was not working, so it took a long while to do it. The first day we left the room at 10:00 a.m. (went to the beach) and returned at 6:00 p.m. and the room key was not working. In the front desk they reactivated the key so we were able to enter our room. It has not been made. We told that to the front desk and they didn't know what had happened, but they told us a housekeeper would be with us soon. She never appeared. We got some towels from the front desk and they told us that the room hadn't been made because we have left a "privacy" sign outside our door, which was a clear lie. We couldn't locate the Manager to present a complain. He never returned our request to talk to him. We did not receive any compensation for the lack of service and courtesy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
RRI-93, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. I am very concerned about these issues and would greatly appreciate you giving me a call so that we can best resolve these issues for you. Please give me a call at 757-490-0225. Thank You
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed there for 3 days with a friend. The room was clean but the bed was a little hard. The comforter was thin so we had to get under all the sheets to be comfortable but it was around 75 dollars a night so I can't complain. We didn't eat breakfast there. Didn't hear too much noise from other people staying here. Overall it was nothing special.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach? Share your experiences!