You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kingston, Pennsylvania
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The location is great and the view from the rooms can't be beat -- we watched the sunrise every morning from our balcony and several times left the sliding door open and feel asleep listening to the waves. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained and our rooms were good sized. Be aware though if you book through a discount or third-party travel site, the service will reflect that. We asked for extra coffee and creamer and were told no, they were reserved for "other guests". We also didn't get the extra little things like a welcome basket and newspaper. Considering the hotel was over $300 a night, I thought it was strange to exclude such small things. Now when I talk about this hotel, that's the first thing I'll remember to tell everyone (not on purpose but it just left such a bad impression). There was also one particular front desk attendant that was rude but the others were great. Even the maintenance staff were friendly.

I hesitated to book this hotel at first after reading all the reviews but found most of the bad things mentioned weren't an issue for us. As for the hallways being hot -- the reason for that is the back of the hotel which faces the road is all glass and the sun shines on it all afternoon. Of course it's going to get hot and who stays in the hallway for more than a minute or two? I will agree that the parking is annoying, but that's the case for every business in the area. There is so much crammed into such a small space. The hotel offers valet parking but they don't advertise or offer it -- you have to ask for it (at least we did). The one thing we really didn't like was the beds. If you like an extra hard mattress, you will not have an issue. We found them extremely uncomfortable and didn't sleep well the whole trip. The pillows were nice though. I did like the fact that they offer both soft and firm pillows. The jet noise from the nearby naval base can get quite loud at times but it's not constant and not something I would complain about anyway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the nice 4 Star Review. I appreciate your kind words. I am sorry that you had a problem with service, but I am not certain that you stayed at this hotel. We do not currently, and have not ever offered Valet Parking. Many hotels on the oceanfront do offer Valet Services, but we do not.

If my team told you that you were not entitled to amenities, that is wrong and I am very sorry. Every guest receives a morning newspaper (Mon to Fri) and all of our valued IHG Rewards Club Members are given a small welcome gift on arrival.

All of our beds are about 4 years old and are in good repair. Some people do report that they are too firm, but other guests mention that they are too soft. I am sorry that you were uncomfortable.

Thank you for your business, and I hope that you will come back to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront soon.

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Martinsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked this hotel a couple of weeks ago. After doing so, I read some reviews that made me a little nervous. Thankfully, I kept my reservations & stayed there. The rooms was clean, great location & oceanfront view of the beach & boardwalk. Staff was most helpful, friendly & greeted you with a smile. Others had complained about housekeeping, we had none of those problems & believe me I'm a clean freak:) Their parking lot is small but others made it sound like the other parking areas were far off, that was not the case, across the street. If you're expecting a 5 star resort, then perhaps you shouldn't stay here, but if you want a great place to stay that isn't outrageous in price, then this is definitely the place. Looking forward to our next trip to VA beach & Holiday Inn @ 2607!! I'm not saying others exaggerated but all I can say is we were extremely pleased. Almost forgot, breakfast was also very good with variety of choices & lots of seating. Pool & hot tub small but very enjoyable & pool towels plentiful

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting the great 4 Star review. I am glad to hear that the Team here made your stay memorable and that you are already planning to come back.

As we get into late August and September, we will be offering some great rates, so make your plans early and get a great hotel at a great price.

Thank you again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The staff were all very friendly and accomodating. From the front desk to housekeeping. Very professional. From questions at the front desk about nearby attractions to asking for towels from housekeeping. They Always took time to listen and answer questions. Our tv was tiling the first night and as soon as we mentioned it they fixed it immediately. Everyone who worked there were smiling and friendly. The pool was a delight to our children aged 8, 10 &11. The hotel provides pool towels and they are always kept stocked and the used ones taken away. I even saw the pool man checking the water ph. The facility was nice and clean. The breakfast area was super clean, as was the pool, the elevators and the room. Housekeeping did a wonderful job of cleaning our room and restocking towels everyday. They gave us extra towels and soft pillows when we asked and we didn't have to wait. They have a choice of soft or firm pillows which is awesome! The breakfast which is included was very nice. The food was always restocked when it was out by the kitchen employees who also happened to be very friendly and accomodating. There was something for everyone. Although I did wish there was fresh fruit, such as cut up cantaloupe, watermelon, pinapples, strawberries and apples, oranges and bananas. A few days we saw some bananas and an orange but they were quickly gone and not restocked. The views from the room were stellar. The location perfect. Our room didn't come with a microwave but when I asked if it did they brought one right up! All rooms come with a fridge. I had a bad experience last year in Ocean City, needless to say I inspected every inch of our room before allowing our things to be put down. Checked every mattress for bed bugs, every drawer for anything gross. Found nothing. The room Was very clean. The air conditioning worked very well. The balcony was so nice. We were on the 8th floor and saw fireworks from our balcony 2 nights!!! We had jo issues with parking in the front parking lot. ThisWe even left to drive to the aquarium and came back to a better parking spot than we had before! This trip was wonderful because of this hotel. Virginia Beach is very family friendly and has all kinds of things to do and see. I am recommending this hotel to all my friends and family who wants to go to Virginia Beach.

• Stayed July 2013
Wow, it sounds like you had a great time staying with us. Thank you for your business, and thank you for this wonderful 5 Star review. I am so happy to hear that the Team here took care of you and was able to quickly meet your needs.

I hope that you, and your friends and family will come back soon for another visit. We have already rolled out some great rates for late August and September, and the water and weather are still beautiful that time of year.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you back here soon.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The room was very good for a beach front property. We stayed in a suite which gave us both a view of the beach as well as a view of the boardwalk. The staff was friendly and attentive. The location was convenient to many things. We'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for the great 4 Star Review, and thank you for staying with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are very busy in the summer, but we try to make every guest's experience a great one.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you

Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Both of my stays at this hotel have been simply magical -- friendly staff, clean and nicely decorated rooms, all the amenities (including a free and extensive hot and cold breakfast buffet), and a location second to none. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us, and thanks so much for the wonderful 5 Star Review. I am very happy to hear that the team here made both of your visits memorable.

Our breakfast is very good, and the location is second to none. I hope that you saw the dolphins swim by, we see them almost every day.

I hope that you will come back again soon, thank you again

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on July 4 through that weekend. There was a giant crowd during this time (as is to be expected), but everything went smoothly for the most part. We were lucky to find a parking place in front of the hotel (if you get one, walk everywhere and don't move your car!) and the hotel is situated conveniently on the boardwalk.
The only drawback is that on the second day of our stay, our room still wasn't cleaned by 2:00, when I went back to the room to put our 2 year old down for a nap; we had been out of the room since 8:00AM. When I called the front desk, the young lady was a bit snappy, saying that housekeeping worked until 5pm and our room would be cleaned at least by that time. Not good, especially when you have young children/elderly who need to rest midday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the great review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here.

I am sorry that your room was not cleaned by 2 PM when you wanted to put your baby down for a nap. We try to get all of the rooms cleaned as quickly as possible, and also have rooms ready for new arrivals. It is a delicate balance. We always try to meet special requests, so if you know that you will be back at 2, please let us know (at this hotel, or any hotel) in the morning and we will be sure that your room is ready upon your return. I apologize if the Front Desk agent was not gracious to you when you called.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you here again soon.

N Saint Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed there on a Sunday.
Room looked over the ocean.
Room was clean.
Balcony was awesome.

Breakfast okay.
There was a smoker next to us on our balcony, no smoking floor, which bothered us, but not their fault.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting a 4 star review. I am sorry that another guest disturbed you by smoking. I hope that you reported it to the team here. We take our no-smoking policy seriously, and will try our best to prevent guests from smoking anywhere in the building.

The view from the balcony is fabulous, I am so glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you again, and I hope that you will return soon and stay with us again. Our special hot cinnamon rolls will be here for your next visit.

Doug

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!