“Great location, filthy carpeting, housekeeping problems” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2607 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great location, filthy carpeting, housekeeping problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:

The Good:
Location - could not be better, every room is oceanview with small balcony - two plastic chairs. Get a higher room to avoid roof of outdoor patio on boardwalk side of hotel.

Service - Acceptable. Responsive to requests for extra washcloths, toiletry items.

Breakfast area - Large, open area unlike so many HIE breakfast areas. Covered outdoor patio with seating in addition to indoor seating. Breakfast items were standard HIE fare, fresh fruit available. Staff was friendly, plenty of food available each day.

Indoor heated pool with Jacuzzi tub. Strong smell of chlorine, but what can you do, it is a pool. Boardwalk side shower and another right outside pool entrance to wash sand off.

Wifi connection was good. Exterior landscaping Oceanside is outstanding. Priority Club membership honored with a welcome bag and a late checkout time. Elevators worked just fine.

The Bad:

The parking situation is not good. Limited parking at the hotel and when it is full you must go to one of two other lots.
One is down the street a bit, catty-corner from the hotel, the other is a good block away and is not very well lighted at night.

There was no microwave in our room when we arrived. We requested one and were told one would be brought in "if available". And we did get one within about 2 hours. But why the need to request it?

Housekeeping staff is friendly but not paying attention to details. Vacuuming is not thorough. Moveable upholstered chair obviously not moved. Sliding door glass with obvious fingerprints not cleaned until we requested it be cleaned thoroughly each day. Screen on flatscreen TV smeared looking, again, had to request it be cleaned. When fogged with shower steam, bathroom mirror looked like it had been "swiped at" as opposed to thoroughly cleaned.

Coffee packets not replaced.

Several times the bottom fitted sheet apparently did not fit the mattress, meaning you wake up with bottom sheet totally loose and all over the place. (This sounds kind of dumb, but I would not tolerate it at home, so why on vacation? Sheets that fit mattress are pretty basic.)

Housekeeping is spraying some kind of misted liquid "carpet refresher" onto the already filthy carpeting each time they clean the room. I don't know if this is what has caused the carpeting to be so absolutely filthy, but when you put on a clean pair of white socks and walk around the room in them, in 5 minutes the bottom of the socks will be black!
I spilled a little liquid onto the floor one day and used a dampened white washcloth to clean it up - oh, Lord, the washcloth ended up black!

The Ugly:
This is an older facility. The lobby carpeting looks newer, but upholstered pieces are stained. I don't know how old the room carpeting is, or if management is planning to replace it, but surely it could be at least CLEANED. To me it was truly disgusting. Almost sticky with dirt. It needs to be cleaned immediately. It is so not up to HIE standards.

The one upholstered chair and ottoman in our room needed to be cleaned also.

The concrete floor of our balcony was filthy. Stains from spilled drinks and dead bugs were there when we came and there when we left. It does not appear that any attention is paid to this area, which is actually a part of the room.

We loved Virginia Beach. But would not stay here again for the above reasons. I cannot recommend it to anyone given the present condition of cleanliness. It is sad, really, to have a hotel in such a fantastic location and not to maintain cleanliness standards. It is EARLY in the season - this needs to be addressed.

Room Tip: Higher floors for better view and less noise from boardwalk.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your review. Obviously we did not satisfy you, and I am very sorry for that. I would like the chance to speak directly with you to get more details of your stay, and to attempt to satisfy you for all of the problems that you had.

Please contact me at the hotel as I would like to resolve the problems and show you that we care and are trying to provide a great experience for all of our guests.

Please accept my apologies, and I look forward to speaking with you

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Bourne End, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was our first visit to Virginia Beach and my wife and I booked ourselves a suite in the Oceanfront Holiday Inn and Suites. We were very impressed by the location as we drove in. It was bang in the middle of the fabulous boardwalk. We were early, but a friendly receptionist checked us in and allocated us a suite on the 10th floor. The bathroom was a bit miserable, but otherwise the accommodation was fine with great ocean views.

We had been in the suite for 15 minutes when an emergency was declared and everybody had to evacuate the building. Suddenly the 10th floor did not seem so great when we had to get to ground level using the stairs. We never found out what the emergency was.

We had problems with housekeeping. Initially we had only bath towels and facecloths, no hand towels. We thought that was hotel policy. The next day we returned to the hotel around 4 p.m. to find that the suite had not been made up. We were both very tired and wanted a nap. We telephoned housekeeping and got an answering machine. We left an appropriate message but got no return call. We called the front office who said that they would try to locate the housekeeping supervisor. We got tired of waiting and went to sleep on the bed. I was woken by a woman who said she understood that we wanted our room made up but, we had put a “do not disturb” notice on the door. I explained that my wife was asleep and I did not intend to wake her. The solution was a plastic bag left at the door with towels and toiletries. I was asked at what time we would like the suite made up the next day. I said 9 o'clock and this was agreed. Interestingly the plastic bag contained bath towels, facecloths and hand towels!! But no floor mat.

The next day we waited for the suite to be made up at 9 o'clock as agreed. We waited until 10:30 before I called housekeeping again. I got the same answering machine which promised a call back at a “respectable time”. Of course there was no call back and we had to call the front desk again to get someone to eventually arrive. He also seemed confused about towel arrangements.

Breakfast is quoted as “complimentary”. There is a reasonable selection of food, most of which is edible. But there is no service. One helps oneself to plastic dishes, paper cups and the most miserable plastic cutlery one can find outside of a child's picnic set.

Of the two elevators serving the 10th floor one was out of action for much of our stay. The vending machine on floor 10 was out of action throughout our stay.

One feature of Virginia Beach that we as foreigners had not appreciated was that it lies directly under the flight path out of the nearby Navy Air Base. So every day, at very regular intervals, military jets, taking off, scream very loudly overhead, not only drowning out any other sound, but at ear damaging noise levels. This can go on until midnight if they are in the right mood.

Room Tip: It is difficult. Higher rooms have better views, but they are less accessible in the event of emerge...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting your comments here. I am very sorry to hear of the troubles that you experienced during your stay. The evacuation was caused by a mechanical failure that created a good deal of smoke. Everything worked as it is designed, and there were no injuries or significant damage. I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced.

As far as the housekeeping service, clearly we failed you multiple times, and I apologize for the the series of failures by my team. Please contact me directly as I would like the opportunity to try and make this stay acceptable in your mind.

We did lose one of our elevators several days after your arrival. The service company responded quickly, but it was almost 24 hours before it was back in service. Again, I apologize for the spectrum of problems that you encountered.

I hope that I have the opportunity to speak with you further.

Fairfax VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Traveling with 12 Girl Scouts, from check-in to departure the hotel was a delight. Anna checked us in quickly, with welcome bags for "priority members" for each room. Two of our three 2nd floor oceanfront rooms were connected by an interior door which we loved--as the girls could float from room to room without going into the hallway. We called down because we needed extra towels (each room had 3 towels, for 4 people) and got a swift response and a follow up call from the Front Desk to make sure that everything met our needs. One room had a loose door-handle to balcony. Within 2 minutes of calling it in, Newton from maintenance came and replaced the entire unit. Another room didn't cool sufficiently. Again, swift response from Newton of maintenance who said that the older unit (dial vs. digital) was cooling as it should. The following morning we still weren't happy with the cooling level, so called down to the front desk about it. This time, Newton came and removed the entire unit, replacing it with a newer digital unit that was fabulous and again we were very satisfied with the response from the hotel. The lobby is welcoming, with a beverage service which is well stocked --to include hot cocoa, 3 flavored creamers, and coffee and tea. The morning breakfast was delicious--and although it seemed crowded, somehow the 12 of us always found seats and a table. There was also an outer covered eating area, which was nice as we were able to sit there during the afternoon and have a business meeting while enjoying being next to the Boardwalk and Beach. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom shower delightful. Pool had a lot of use by others; we just enjoyed being able to slip out, cross the boardwalk and be at the beach --or close by as we enjoyed the covered porch tables and chairs-- and shower before returning to the hotel.
We all had a great stay and would definitely recommend this hotel (and staff) as well as return to the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are interested in connecting rooms---which seem out of fashion these days--be sure to ask for...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for bringing your Girl Scout Troop to the beach and staying with us. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience and plan to return. It is busy here in the summer, but the Team tries to take care of every guest, and it sounds like we succeeded with you and your guests.

Sorry that we had to repair and replace the A/C, but we have just started getting into the hot part of the summer, and those units are working hard. I am glad that Newton promptly responded to your requests.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing more Girl Scouts here soon.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

its a great hotel with a good location clean rooms great view from every room.
the staff were wonderful and went the extra mile to make my wife's stay more wonderful
it was her birthday and the staff had done a birthday card and a bag with some treats in for her in the room when we arrived.
i would stay there again a good hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting your review. I am glad to hear that we met all of your needs, and were able to make your wife's visit special. The Team here is focused on exceeding our guest's expectations, and I am glad that she was happy.

I hope that you will return and stay with us again, and will recommend our hotel to your family and friends.

Woodstock, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I were in town for a wedding, so we were looking for somewhere not too expensive but right on the beach. This Holiday Inn Express fit the bill - a good price, and every room was oceanfront. We got to the hotel a little early and checked in with no fuss or waiting; our room (by our request at check-in) was on the 10th floor. As soon as we got to the room, the first thing we did was go out on the balcony - and the view was marvelous! You could see all the way down the beach in both directions and out to the horizon across the ocean. Perfect! We had a minor problem with the refrigerator leaking, but I let the front desk know before we went out to dinner and the issue was fixed by the time we got to the room later that evening - when something is resolved that quickly, I hesitate to even call it a problem!

Our room was very clean, no dust or dirt anywhere - both the beds had clean sheets on them, and were very comfortable (by the way, I like the "soft" and "firm" pillow options - I didn't know Holiday Inn did that).

The beach access was the best part - we spent plenty of time laying in the sun, and we especially enjoyed the shower right outside the hotel to rinse off the sand and saltwater. In the mornings, a full breakfast was available downstairs which was very nice. Eggs, pancakes, omelets, bacon, sausage, biscuits, the works! Not just your regular cereal, room temperature milk and a bagel sort of breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody staying in VA Beach - book early and you'll get a great rate!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your great review. I am thrilled to hear that you had a terrific weekend with us, and hope that you will return soon for another visit.

As you noted, every room has a full oceanfront view and a private balcony. The views are wonderful, and I hope you woke up early one morning to watch the sun rise from the sea.

Our housekeeping team has put in a lot of work to make sure that all of our rooms are clean and fresh, they will be glad to hear that you were completely satisfied.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Room was clean, view was great, and despite the large number of people staying in the hotel for the weekend (sand soccer tournament), the staff was pleasant. The young men working at breakfast did a terrific job keeping everything filled. Will stay there again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for taking the time to post your review. I am thrilled to hear that we were able to satisfy your party. Yes, the Sand Soccer is always a busy weekend, but what great entertainment right outside your private balcony?

I hope that you will come back and visit again. Remember that the fall is beautiful here and generally less crowded.

Thank you again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I do not give "excellent" or "superior" on any rating, however, this facility went above and beyond the call of duty. This level of service and commitment to their customers comes from the top down. It was apparent by the quality of service and care that was extended to my family. My family was ill pretty much the entire stay (nothing hotel related  ). The staff was more than accommodating. They were empowered to assist me with my needs on the spot and without hesitation. It made an unpleasant situation much more manageable. THANK YOU ALL!

The facility was new, clean, and easily accessible to the beach. Staffs were friendly and willing to answer questions even when it wasn't their job. Great breakfast and near other attractions and food venues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and on the 3rd floor up.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your great review. I am very sorry that your family was not well during your stay, but we try to make everyone welcome and to help people in need. I am glad that we were able to assist you, and I hope that everyone is back to full strength.

We all hope to see you again for a visit that you can really enjoy, and we hope that you will return soon.

Doug

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!