The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:
Location - could not be better, every room is oceanview with small balcony - two plastic chairs. Get a higher room to avoid roof of outdoor patio on boardwalk side of hotel.
Service - Acceptable. Responsive to requests for extra washcloths, toiletry items.
Breakfast area - Large, open area unlike so many HIE breakfast areas. Covered outdoor patio with seating in addition to indoor seating. Breakfast items were standard HIE fare, fresh fruit available. Staff was friendly, plenty of food available each day.
Indoor heated pool with Jacuzzi tub. Strong smell of chlorine, but what can you do, it is a pool. Boardwalk side shower and another right outside pool entrance to wash sand off.
Wifi connection was good. Exterior landscaping Oceanside is outstanding. Priority Club membership honored with a welcome bag and a late checkout time. Elevators worked just fine.
The parking situation is not good. Limited parking at the hotel and when it is full you must go to one of two other lots.
One is down the street a bit, catty-corner from the hotel, the other is a good block away and is not very well lighted at night.
There was no microwave in our room when we arrived. We requested one and were told one would be brought in "if available". And we did get one within about 2 hours. But why the need to request it?
Housekeeping staff is friendly but not paying attention to details. Vacuuming is not thorough. Moveable upholstered chair obviously not moved. Sliding door glass with obvious fingerprints not cleaned until we requested it be cleaned thoroughly each day. Screen on flatscreen TV smeared looking, again, had to request it be cleaned. When fogged with shower steam, bathroom mirror looked like it had been "swiped at" as opposed to thoroughly cleaned.
Coffee packets not replaced.
Several times the bottom fitted sheet apparently did not fit the mattress, meaning you wake up with bottom sheet totally loose and all over the place. (This sounds kind of dumb, but I would not tolerate it at home, so why on vacation? Sheets that fit mattress are pretty basic.)
Housekeeping is spraying some kind of misted liquid "carpet refresher" onto the already filthy carpeting each time they clean the room. I don't know if this is what has caused the carpeting to be so absolutely filthy, but when you put on a clean pair of white socks and walk around the room in them, in 5 minutes the bottom of the socks will be black!
I spilled a little liquid onto the floor one day and used a dampened white washcloth to clean it up - oh, Lord, the washcloth ended up black!
This is an older facility. The lobby carpeting looks newer, but upholstered pieces are stained. I don't know how old the room carpeting is, or if management is planning to replace it, but surely it could be at least CLEANED. To me it was truly disgusting. Almost sticky with dirt. It needs to be cleaned immediately. It is so not up to HIE standards.
The one upholstered chair and ottoman in our room needed to be cleaned also.
The concrete floor of our balcony was filthy. Stains from spilled drinks and dead bugs were there when we came and there when we left. It does not appear that any attention is paid to this area, which is actually a part of the room.
We loved Virginia Beach. But would not stay here again for the above reasons. I cannot recommend it to anyone given the present condition of cleanliness. It is sad, really, to have a hotel in such a fantastic location and not to maintain cleanliness standards. It is EARLY in the season - this needs to be addressed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay with us at the new Holiday Inn Express and experience the same great service you have come to love when staying at the Oceanfront. Our upbeat decor and interior enhancements with remodeled guest rooms and public spaces will impress the whole family. We are now a 100% smoke-free hotel. The name may be Holiday Inn Express but your vacation will be at your own pace at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. At the Holiday Inn Express, we make your family vacation accommodations our number one priority with friendly customer service, direct beach and boardwalk access, and complimentary continental breakfast served to all of our guests. For fitness and relaxation, visit our year-round indoor swimming pool, whirlpool spa, and fitness room. All of our guest rooms include a complimentary continental breakfast and have a private balcony with a full oceanfront view of the beach and boardwalk, mini-refrigerator, hair dryers, coffee makers and free high-speed Internet access. Conveniently located in the center of the Virginia Beach resort area, there are many local attractions nearby such as the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier, Virginia Beach Amphitheater, 11 golf courses, parasailing, bicycle and boat rentals, Virginia Aquarium, and the Virginia Beach Convention Center.Enjoy the service and experience of an oceanfront resort hotel with all of the amenities you expect from a Holiday Inn at Virginia Beach's Holiday Inn Express(R). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Virginia Beach
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites
- Holiday Inn Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Holiday Inn