“Good Value for Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2607 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #25 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern NJ
“Good Value for Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a family of four staying three nights over President's Day weekend, as our daughter and her team were competing at the Excalibur Cup Gymnastics Invitational at the Convention Center. We received an excellent group rate that was extremely reasonable, and one reason why we chose to stay three nights instead of just one. The hotel was quite full most nights, at least the floors that were open (apparently three floors were undergoing upgrades), largely with families for gymnasts that come from wide geographies for this event.

Here's what was good: Check-in and check-out were a breeze. The people working at the front desk were extremely courteous and helpful. We asked them many questions about where to order food for delivery and to go out, and they were happy to talk about various places, and give their own personal recommendations. The view of the beach and walkway with palm trees is always soothing, especially for those of us living north. The lounge for eating has quite a large amount of seating. We had no problem getting a place to sit for breakfast (although, quite a number of rooms were unused due to construction). The beds were surprisingly comfortable and firm for what amounts to more of a budget hotel. Parking right in front of the hotel is convenient, if you get a spot there, although very tight if driving a large vehicle. The girls all used the pool and hot tub, and enjoyed it. The pool small, but large for the size of the hotel. The shower in the room had plenty of waterflow and pressure, so it was enjoyable.

What was just OK: I used the fitness center one morning. The equipment is sparse, but at least it seems in good condition. The breakfast is very average at best for this type of hotel, and ends way too early at 9:30 (it should go until at least 10:00, especially on weekends). By 9:15, they pretty much stop re-stocking the hot foods, which are very limited. We had a regular room with two double beds, one chest of drawers, and a desk. It was a fairly average room overall.

What could have been better: The bathroom is small, with very little counter space. The room was reasonably clean, but you know that the cleaning is not rigorous when you pick up the bed cover and find a crayon on the rug. The rug was clearly not vacuumed every day, and the cleaners obviously do not look to clean in every nook and cranny. The sliding glass patio door takes a heroic effort to open, as it does not easily slide open. The HVAC is typical of many beach hotels, a local fan driven unit under the window, which has limited (and not modern) controls, and very loud. Parking in front of the hotel was full one night after we returned from dinner, and we had to park across the street. All the parking is very tight, and not easy to navigate for anyone with an oversized vehicle.

If we were traveling alone as a single family rather than as part of a group, I would have selected a higher quality hotel and gladly paid up if delivered. However, all in all, we probably got more than we paid at our winter group rate for the Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Rooms located at ends of each hall are probably better than rooms across from an elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the review. I am happy to hear that we were a good value for your family, and that we provided many things that you and your family liked.

There is no excuse for poor housekeeping like you describe, and I am sorry that you found those things wrong in your room. I will be sure to use this as an opportunity to improve our service for all of our guests, and I appreciate you letting me know about the problems.

The renovation that you mention is that we are replacing all of the tiled bathroom floors. It is a bit messy and noisy now, but the project should be finished by the end of February. The new floors really make the bathrooms stand out, and when you return I hope that you will be pleased with the result.

Again, I thank you for your business, and hope that you will come back and stay with us again.

Sincerely

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I have greatly enjoyed this hotel. Great staff and Great rooms. This is a great hotel wilt wonderful staff. The rooms are clean and every room has an ocean front. For my wife and I to have a simple romantic get away, this is the best value for us. I Highly recommend. The hotel is near many great restaurants and attractions. The staff is very helpful and as I said, the rooms all face the ocean. While the parking lot is small, we have not really had a problem. If you are looking for a nice romantic get away, this is the best value. Ask if you can get one of the end suites. You get a very nice room facing the ocean and small ktchen area and then bathroom and private master bedroom.

The only annoying part is that I have to have 200 characters to make this post and recommendation.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get one of the end suites. You get a very nice room facing the ocean and small kitche...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the beach. We appreciate your business, and are thrilled to hear that we gave you and your wife a wonderful weekend. We aim to provide that same experience to every guest, so we hope that you will return and stay with us again, and encourage your friends to do so as well.

I hope that you also enjoyed our free hot breakfast each morning. Holiday Inn Express exclusive Cinnamon Rolls are terrific, and we have many other choices hot and fresh for you every morning.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hosting you again.

Ashland Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were here early in December for the "Holiday Lights at the Beach". We stayed 3 nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very nice and clean. All rooms are oceanfront. We had people in the next room on Sun. night and could hear them talking, so am wondering if it were during busy season, it could get noisy. The indoor pool was nice, hot tub was very HOT! Could only stay in it maybe 10 min or so. Breakfast was normal fare for Holiday Inn. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here for the time of year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Holiday light show is quite a spectacle, and I am glad that you came to see it.

I am sorry if the people next door disturbed you, feel free to call the front desk at any hotel and we will be glad to deal with the problem.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again and thanks for your business.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed overnight with my son for a birthday. The staff, in particular, Meagan was extremely helpful and courteous. We had to change rooms and I'm used to this being a visible burden to other hotel staff, but she was very kind and was clear that she wanted to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. Her personal attention and kindness bring great credit to the hotel staff.
The view is incredible and the rooms are comfortable, clean, and very much worth the price. I'm looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your nice comments about the Team here. We all want to ensure that every guest has a great experience at the beach, and I am glad that we were able to meet your needs.

I hope that you and your family will return again soon, we look forward to that. Thank you again, we appreciate your business.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here for 11 days in early December while in town on business. The staff was warm and friendly. The accommodations were clean and comfortable. The view of the beach and ocean were fantastic. The location is walking distance to several good restaurants as well. The price was so reasonable. The only negative I could mention would be a better ironing board in the room. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for staying with us for an extended visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here on the beach. It is beautiful any time of year, and now we are not as crowded so the restaurants are ready to seat you right away.

I apologize for the ironing board, we will take care of that for the next guest, and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again.

Thank you for your business.

Centreville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Really can't beat the location of the hotel. Right on the boardwalk with all rooms facing the ocean, the view is fantastic.It's also close to some restaurants and shopping (including a WalGreens). This is a no frills hotel. Plain lobby area that doubles as a breakfast area is about all there is besides the small pool/hot tub. The rooms are a good size and the beds are fine. The rooms have a fridge (it froze our sandwich) and a small coffee maker and a flat screen TV (with inputs for a game system or video camera). Wireless internet was poor. Streaming video was near impossible with the connection we had (even with excellent signal). During the summer (we were there in December) this will be a great place, although parking was difficult while we were there - I would expect it to be impossible in the summer. The free breakfast was good but the selection was limited. Expect a noisy AC/heat unit. The staff was friendly and for a decent rate, we would consider staying there in the summer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently, and thank you for your kind review. It is an amazing view here, and every room has that same view, each with a private balcony. The sights and sounds of the ocean can be very soothing, and we enjoy watching dolphins near the shore almost every morning at sunrise. I will check out our internet service, normally it is satisfactory. I am sorry that you could not do the things that you wanted to

I hope that you will return soon, prices are great now, the area is not crowded and the beach is beautiful. Thank you again.
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had 3 Oceanfront rooms for a family vacation over the Thanksgiving holidays... AMAZING views... direct oceanfront... even the 'breakfast room' has AMAZING oceanfront views, and a lovely outside dining deck that is oceanfront- for warmer weather dining!

They also had a nice pool/hot tub... I brought our youngest two daughters to the pool one evening, and they were delighted to have the ENTIRE pool to themselves!! :-)

They could punch up their breakfast during the week- but the weekend breafast was better, in our opinion! Maybe offer more 'healthy choices'... but if pancakes, biscuits and gravy, bagels, muffins, scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon sound like something your family could 'get by on' then THIS is YOUR kinda breakfast!! :-)

We got a GREAT deal on the rooms... pay in advance, and you'll pay about a THIRD of the going rate on arrival!! FABULOUS deal!!

We would stay here again-especially if we got the same amazing rate!! Great deal for oceanfront rooms, with two QUEEN size beds each! :-)

Room Tip: Buy in advance and SAVE BIG on rooms!!! We only paid about 1/3 of the going rate by doing this...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the nice review. I am glad that you and your family were able to enjoy your holiday with us. It is great that you found a cheaper rate online, HolidayInn.com always has the cheapest available rates, and some of the advance purchase rates are terrific.

I hope that you will come stay with us again, and please let us know if we can help you with anything. Thanks again.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!