We had a family of four staying three nights over President's Day weekend, as our daughter and her team were competing at the Excalibur Cup Gymnastics Invitational at the Convention Center. We received an excellent group rate that was extremely reasonable, and one reason why we chose to stay three nights instead of just one. The hotel was quite full most nights, at least the floors that were open (apparently three floors were undergoing upgrades), largely with families for gymnasts that come from wide geographies for this event.
Here's what was good: Check-in and check-out were a breeze. The people working at the front desk were extremely courteous and helpful. We asked them many questions about where to order food for delivery and to go out, and they were happy to talk about various places, and give their own personal recommendations. The view of the beach and walkway with palm trees is always soothing, especially for those of us living north. The lounge for eating has quite a large amount of seating. We had no problem getting a place to sit for breakfast (although, quite a number of rooms were unused due to construction). The beds were surprisingly comfortable and firm for what amounts to more of a budget hotel. Parking right in front of the hotel is convenient, if you get a spot there, although very tight if driving a large vehicle. The girls all used the pool and hot tub, and enjoyed it. The pool small, but large for the size of the hotel. The shower in the room had plenty of waterflow and pressure, so it was enjoyable.
What was just OK: I used the fitness center one morning. The equipment is sparse, but at least it seems in good condition. The breakfast is very average at best for this type of hotel, and ends way too early at 9:30 (it should go until at least 10:00, especially on weekends). By 9:15, they pretty much stop re-stocking the hot foods, which are very limited. We had a regular room with two double beds, one chest of drawers, and a desk. It was a fairly average room overall.
What could have been better: The bathroom is small, with very little counter space. The room was reasonably clean, but you know that the cleaning is not rigorous when you pick up the bed cover and find a crayon on the rug. The rug was clearly not vacuumed every day, and the cleaners obviously do not look to clean in every nook and cranny. The sliding glass patio door takes a heroic effort to open, as it does not easily slide open. The HVAC is typical of many beach hotels, a local fan driven unit under the window, which has limited (and not modern) controls, and very loud. Parking in front of the hotel was full one night after we returned from dinner, and we had to park across the street. All the parking is very tight, and not easy to navigate for anyone with an oversized vehicle.
If we were traveling alone as a single family rather than as part of a group, I would have selected a higher quality hotel and gladly paid up if delivered. However, all in all, we probably got more than we paid at our winter group rate for the Holiday Inn Express.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay with us at the new Holiday Inn Express and experience the same great service you have come to love when staying at the Oceanfront. Our upbeat decor and interior enhancements with remodeled guest rooms and public spaces will impress the whole family. We are now a 100% smoke-free hotel. The name may be Holiday Inn Express but your vacation will be at your own pace at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. At the Holiday Inn Express, we make your family vacation accommodations our number one priority with friendly customer service, direct beach and boardwalk access, and complimentary continental breakfast served to all of our guests. For fitness and relaxation, visit our year-round indoor swimming pool, whirlpool spa, and fitness room. All of our guest rooms include a complimentary continental breakfast and have a private balcony with a full oceanfront view of the beach and boardwalk, mini-refrigerator, hair dryers, coffee makers and free high-speed Internet access. Conveniently located in the center of the Virginia Beach resort area, there are many local attractions nearby such as the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier, Virginia Beach Amphitheater, 11 golf courses, parasailing, bicycle and boat rentals, Virginia Aquarium, and the Virginia Beach Convention Center.Enjoy the service and experience of an oceanfront resort hotel with all of the amenities you expect from a Holiday Inn at Virginia Beach's Holiday Inn Express(R). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Virginia Beach
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites
- Holiday Inn Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Holiday Inn