“August Vacation at VA Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2607 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Jersey
“August Vacation at VA Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We like to spend a week at VA Beach every year and have stayed at most of the large hotel chains that line the VA Beach boardwalk.

PROS:
-Very costly in Aug ($280/night).
-Indoor pool and hot tub, and both worked well.
-Room was clean and air conditioner worked well.
-Hotel staff was very friendly.
-Free breakfast each morning. Free coffee/tea anytime of day/night.
-Beautiful views from balcony. We saw dolphins every day.
-Great boardwalk with lots to see and do. We walked the boardwalk each night and saw plays, musicians, bands, etc. All free.
-Safe areas, even late at night
-Beach lifeguards are very professional and attentive.
-Beaches are sifted and cleaned early each morning.

CONS:
-The free breakfast was always crowded after 8a. They don't check to see if you're staying at the hotel and I heard a group at a table next to us bragging that they were at the apt building next door and were getting free breakfast each morning.
-Smokers: though it's not allowed, many smoke on their balcony. I like to keep my balcony door open while in the room but the cigarette smoke was always coming into the room and I had to close it. I complained twice to the desk staff but they did nothing.
-Two elevators but they were slow and the wait was quite long. We were on the 8th floor but found it easier and quicker to take the stairs!
-Parking is tough to find in August. We rarely were able to park onsite. Holiday Inn had us park down the street at an auxillary lot.
-Ocean Air Force Base is very close and you hear the F18 jets flying out to sea all day long. I love planes but the noise is VERY loud.

Try to find a place to eat outside the strip. Most of the food places across the street are costly and the food is only adequate. We always frequent Captain George's Seafood Buffet which is only 4 miles away, on Laskin Road (go early or late). If you're in the mood for dinner and a movie, try the Beach Movie Bistro, also on Laskin Road. You arrive early, order dinner, and receive it as the previews are starting.

We would stay here again but only if the Marriott is full (as it was this time).

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the center (stay away from elevators).
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently, I am glad that you had a good stay, and I appreciate your business.

I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your experience here. Parking, breakfast and the elevators are all issues in the summer for every hotel on the beach. In the future, if you overhear people that do not belong in the hotel, please let our team know immediately and we will deal with it. Unfortunately patrolling smoking on the balconies is very difficult. We try to identify the rooms, but it is not always easy.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again on another visit, Perhaps the shoulder seasons of late spring and early fall would offer a better experience for you and your family.

Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a mini vacation with the family and we had a very good experience. The room was spacious, nice furnishings and relaxing area. We were oceanfront which is great and just opening the balcony doors to that view was great. The breakfast is very basic not my style but it is Holiday Inn Express so cannot expect too much.

The car park gets filled up quickly and we realized that there was another car park 1 block away and then a 3rd 2/3 blocks away so that did not become an issue once we knew where to park.

Great location, I love Virginia Beach and find it one of my favorite places to go and relax and just unwind. I would certainly recommend staying at this hotel.

Nice, friendly and no drama.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the positive comments that you left. We all work hard to make sure every guest has a positive experience here, and I am glad that you and your group enjoyed yourself.

I hope to see you again on your next visit to Virginia Beach.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've taken my boys to the beach every year for their birthday, and since this hotel had a recent remodel, we decided to try it out. We arrived mid-week, which is not nearly as crowded as weekends. Excellent choice. The staff, the breakfast, the location were all better than I expected! The hotel is almost smack dab in the middle of the boardwalk, so it's not hard to venture in either direction for some excitement. The check-in staff was extremely courteous and efficient, and acknowledgement of my status with Holiday Inn was appreciated, as we received a welcome amenity. Received our parking pass and parked in the secondary lot. Received a room on the 10th floor and loved the view. Yes, the elevators are painfully slow. But we were never in a hurry, so it didn't matter much. Room was spotless and clean, and the beds were the answer to a good night's rest. The kids thought the pool was wonderful, but I thought it was a bit small. Once you got about 10 kids in there, not much room for swimming. And it's a small echoey room, so 10 kids screaming and playing at their top volume can be deafening. The hot tub was nice, but teeny. Breakfast can be chaotic. Lots of choices though...pancakes, omelets, muffins, bagels, toast, biscuits. We found out the earlier you go, the better. The parking lot situation wasn't as bad as other reviewers claim. When the main lot in front of the hotel was full, we parked at the designated lot on the side street across from the hotel. We could still SEE the hotel from that lot, and from our floor we could see our car. We were never worried. It wasn't so far away and it wasn't in some inconspicuous place. Didn't use the fitness room nor the business center. This hotel was perfect for our needs, and wouldn't hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront. High rooms you sometimes have to dodge the seagulls, but the view is amazi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to Virginia Beach and the Holiday Inn Express. I am happy to hear that your experience was so good, and I thanks you for your positive comments. The team here works hard to ensure that our guests have a great experience, and I appreciate your recognition of their efforts.

As the season slows, parking will become easier for this, and all of the hotels along the beach. I hope that you will return and stay with us again in the future. Thank you.
florence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Holiday inn express, need I say more. They exceed all their corporate standards. Great location.
Only negatives can be parking at the hotel but its manageable. Not there problem but the life guards at the beach can be a little whistle happy. Might find yourself moving up an down the beach to find some quite but that's Virginia beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments. I hope that you will return and stay with us again.

As the season slows, parking will become easier for this, and all of the hotels along the beach. Thank you again.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

As a Holiday Inn member I have to say that this time I was not 100% satisfied .
The staff was really nice , the location of the hotel was perfect-I loved the view from our room and sound of the Ocean:-)The breakfast was fine-served from 6:30 to 9:30.It gets very crowded around 9.
BUT I didn't like the room...The bathroom was not really clean when we arrived-with dark hair in the bathtub:-( The cleaning service was bad:-(
The parking space is a HUGE issue!
There are only two elevators -very slow!
The swimming pool is very small and looks different then on hotel's website.

• Stayed August 2012
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for being a Priority Club Member and for staying with us. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay. Certainly your bathtub should have been cleaned prior to your arrival and I am sorry that it was not cleaned to your satisfaction.

Parking is always an issue for oceeanfront hotels, and we do the best we can with the limited real estate available. May I suggest that you come again in the early fall, the weather is still great and the crowds are far less. Everything is easier in the fall, and our breakfast and elevators are much less crowded.

Thank you again, and I am very sorry that we did not provide a trouble free stay for you.
Leatherstocking Region New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great views and location in the center of it all. A few feet from the boardwalk and bike path, and right on the main drag. Check in was efficient and friendly. Received free beverage coupon from market for Priority Club. Room was good size, but beds are true doubles, not much room for two to share.

Main issues was no washcloths in bathroom when we arrived. Called at 4 PM, and the answer ended up being the same for all three days: "The towel truck has just arrived." I had to pick up from front desk at 9:40 PM. How do you not have ANY washcloths in a room. Never enough towels for four people, even though reservation stated 2 adults, 2 children. This was an issue each day, and I spoke with housekeeping staff directly each time. Obviously not good communication between reservation and housekeeping to start with, but when you write it down on the clipboard, I should not have the issue again. I walked the hallways and went to the laundry cart to pick up towels when they were short in our room.

Room was clean (only found one M & M on the floor) but one sheer drapery was missing (room #1002) so not a big deal on the top floor, but I called about it right away. What a runaround I got. "Executive Housekeeper would be in tomorrow", "Exec. Housekeeper is out ill today", "Housekeeping will look for it", needless to say it never showed up. I had spoken directly to a maintenance person, and bugged the guy everyday just to see if it would get replaced. I know that they have other fires to put out, but when you say you are going to have housekeeping take care of it, and it does not get done, expect me to stay on top of you. I did not even bother to try and get the ripped lamp shades replaced, although we did see a worker with a new one going into another room. Something that housekeeping should notice and keep track of for maintenance.

A/C unit was efficient and kept room cool. Elevators were reliable and moved quickly. Breakfast bar was well maintained, but get there before 9 AM unless you want to wait in line. All staff was very friendly and helpful. Holiday Inn was celebrating its 60th Birthday on August 1, and birthday cake and cupcakes were served in the lobby.

Indoor pool was small and not very deep. Perfect for kids under age 6. Hot tub was clean but very small. Older kids and teens will not find it very attractive, but outside boardwalk and ocean should keep them happy.

One note to management: We noticed that cleaners were using the elevators to go up or down one floor while working. Obviously big laundry and cleaning carts need elevators, but when younger workers are not using the stairs to go up or down one or two flights this slows everything down for the guests. We were on 10th floor, so needed elevator. Numerous times elevator would stop on each floor to accommodate a cleaner who then went down only one or two flights with nothing in their hands. Many guests commented on this while we were there.

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our family decided to take a 4 day beach trip to refresh before school starts and, due to drive time, chose Virginia Beach. After looking online at many hotels and reading many reviews, my husband surprised me with reservations for the Holiday Inn Express one morning. His reasoning was the fact that all the rooms are oceanfront and have balconies. After I read various reviews,we agreed that for a spur of the moment trip, with summer almost over and rooms in short supply, this Holiday Inn Express was completely fine with us.
We had arrived early the morning of our check-in but spent the time at the beach, knowing check-in wasn't until 4. After a few hours on the beach, we went in the Holiday Inn to get out of the sun and see if we could get our parking permit to move the car. ((The parking situation is a major issue with limited space at the hotel, but there are a couple parking lots within sight of the hotel. Once we parked in the hotel lot, we didn't move until we left which was 4 days later)). The young lady, Bree, at the desk was courteous and very helpful; giving us a permit. Even though we were 3 hours early for check-in, she offered to call us when our room was ready and even asked us if we had a room preference. My husband's only requirement was "the higher the better" for the view.
We moved the car to the hotel lot, and went across the street to the Maple Tree. We were greatly surprised with the Maple Tree and went 2 more times while there. During lunch, I received a call from Bree telling us that our room was ready. After finishing lunch, we got our luggage, and went to check in. Adriana gave us our room, on the 7th floor, and asked us how many key cards we wanted since we had our 2 teenage daughters with us. We only took 2 key cards, but were impressed with the thought.
Our room was a basic hotel room, nothing fancy or extraordinary. It was clean, had a fantastic view, a coffeepot and a fridge. The air conditioning worked almost too well at night, making us turn it down when it got too cold. Our room was across from the elevators which worried us because of the noise, but we never heard anything.
The breakfast buffet was appreciated by us. The options offered were great--yogurts, eggs, danishes, bagels, cereals, and we liked that each day was a different breakfast meat-bacon, sausage, ham. It was quite the bummer that both pancake makers were broke, but the biscuits and gravy made up for that. Staff kept it fully stocked during the breakfast hours. We also appreciated the 24/7 coffee available in the lobby so we never used our room coffeemaker.
During our visit, I used the Business Center and was happy with the ease of computer use with a password. Then Adriana again was helpful by printing off my directions to get home since we were going a different route.
Overall, we will return again. We went to the beach and didn't plan to stay in our room, so its basicness was fine with us. Our room was cleaned each day, and when we chose to get fresh towels, housekeeping did leave us 4 towels and 4 washclothes. It was a bit pricey, but it was oceanfront and for a short beach trip, we splurged.
The only negatives would be the lack of parking and the small indoor pool. We didn't use the pool, since the weather was great while we were there. If the weather had been bad, the pool wouldn't held 1/5 of the hotel's guest and that would be a problem.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view, but also the longer the elevator trip. I wouldn't go a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your business, and thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that our team took good care of you, and we all apprciate your kind words about Bee and Ariana. I am happy to have them on our team, they work hard every day.

I hope that you will return for another visit.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!