“Chili rellenos to die for” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Chili rellenos to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I'm stingy with five star ratings, but this place is a gem. We stopped by on a lark and loved it. Don't let the small, strip mall store front fool you. The food is great. The chili rellenos were the best I've ever had. The other meal was a great spinach quesadilla.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bristol, Virginia
“Delicious Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Family we were visiting in Va Beach recommended this restaurant and it turned out to be one of the best meals we ate during our vacation! The service was friendly, the food delicious and an excellent value for the money. We all had different dishes and no one left hungry. I had the Mango Surprise Salad. I don't like getting these kinds of salads at restaurants because they are usually too over dressed for me. But after eating several heavy meals, I wanted something light and refreshing and I got it! All the food presentations were beautiful, but this salad was so pretty on the plate, I didn't want to disturb it. And the dressing was perfect, a nice light dressing that didn't overwhelm the crispy greens and the mango was sweet and fresh.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Family Friendly Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great Mexican, good margaritas, table prepared guacamole and attentive service. This place caters to families, offering face painting and table side attention. They offer a varied menu to include non-Mexican fare.

Visited May 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“one of the better Mexican places around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Another fun place to go locally. The guac is made at the table and is mighty good! The El Taco Loco fajitas are yummy ... add cold beer and your'e all set!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Not Horrible ~ Not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My mother, who typically does not care for Mexican food, highly recommended this restaurant. One late afternoon my partner and I decided to give it a try. When we entered we were greeted by a man who could not be bothered to smile. I informed him there were two of us and he repeated what I said before taking us to our booth.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is quaint and nice. The tables have a beautiful design to them and the small televisions leave for a neat distraction. Our waiter took our drink order while another man brought us the typical chips and two salsa types that is common in most Mexican resturants. Both salsa's were very good, the chips tasted fresh and made in-house but I was very hungry and went through half the chips before our waiter came back to take our order.

The menu is expansive there are a lot of very unique items I had never seen at other mexican restaurants but likewise there were some things missing, traditional staples I wanted to see. I tried the dish my mother recommended ~ The chimichanga dinner and my partner tried the enchiladas supremos. My dish came with a salad and not sure what an avocado salad consisted of I chose the caesar.

My caesar salad was mainly a bowl of chopped iceberg lettuce smothered in parmesan cheese and hardly any dressing to speak of. It was topped with something red, wet and squishy I could not identify. It kind of reminded me of pickled peppers but I was not certain. They were mildly sweet but otherwise a little tasteless. In spite of being someone who loves salad I could not finish this one all the dusty cheese just made the lettuce feel sandy in my mouth and with hardly any dressing it was relatively dry.

When the entrees arrived my partners 4 enchiladas were smothered with a bed of lettuce to the point he had to move the lettuce off to find the actual food. He said the chicken and pork enchiladas were pretty good--no better and no worse than anywhere else but could not finish the black bean enchilada and that the enchilada sauce seemed bland.

My chimichanga dinner was full of fresh ingredients, the chicken was cooked right but the sauce tasted simply of tomatoes with no spice at all. The entire dish reminded me more of Italian food made to look Mexican and lacked some of the flavors I love from Mexican cuisine. It was not a bad taste but again was somewhat bland.

The mood of the wait staff made it appear that they were tired and/or did not want to be there which greatly hampered my ability to enjoy the experience. We will probably never return.

• Visited May 2013