“Amazing Avocado!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Taco Loco

El Taco Loco
3333 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA (North Central)
Website
Neighborhood: North Central
San Diego
“Amazing Avocado!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

So let me preface this review based on being a San Diego girl. I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive when my boyfriend who lives in Virginia Beach suggested I go to a mexican restaurant anywhere other than San Diego. But we went as a big group of 10 of us.

I know that there is another location in VAB but this specific location has the cookers for the famous brisket tacos, so we went to this location.

The tacos were good, the margaritas were good, the service was good. Nothing exceptional. I expect homemade torillas & chips at a Mexican restaurant & they did not have either BUT what really stood out fo rme was the made at your table guacamole, very yummy. I eat avocados on a daily basis in San Diego & have to say that the guac was very good! But the very best part of the entire dining experience was the grilled half of avocado w/ pico de gallo! I have never had grilled avocado before but the seasoning & the pico combined with the grilling was just amazing!

I wante dto go back to the restaurant just for the avocados & will again when I am back in Virginia Beach! Ya gotta try it!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Mexican and Tacos.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This review is of the Chesapeake location. The food and service has always been great, I usually go at lunch. The bbq tacos, bbq chimichangas and the guacamole are terrific. Service is always quick, and they are not overly crowded when I have been. The people who found this mediocre, obviously are not fans of mexican food, or haven't had any outside of this area. Most of the local mexican restaurants are not good at all, and wouldn't survive in a southwestern state. This one is great.

• Visited November 2012
Chesapeake, VA
“Our favorite Mexican spot.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you try the "regular" Mexican fare, it's just average. If you try things like El Churrasco steak, Carlos Burrito Extravagante, 24 Hour Smoke Beef Bridket with Wild Boar Charro Beans or Burrito Perron you'll be impressed. The table side guacamole is great. We always get the Texas Margaritas, on the rocks with salt of course, and they can be hit or miss. Tonight's was perfect, but they can be a little on the strong side. I'm just glad their new location was only 2 miles from our house! We use to drive about 15 miles, past at least 2 dozen other Mexican restaraunts, to go to Taco Loco in Va. Beach. We've never had bad service at any of the locations.

I don't think the prices are any different than any other Mexican restaurants, but you do get what you pay for. Take a chance and try something different on the menu and you'll be pleased. Our usual place use to be Plaza Azteca, but it's food is very good, but very ordinary. Give it a try.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“What a nice find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Kind of a strange location tucked back behind Bonefish Grill, but we have been on a number of occasions. Love the menu. Much more eclectic than the typical Mexican restaurant. By far the best Mexican food we have found in Va Beach. We lived in Los Angeles for a long time and were always looking for really good Mexican food since we moved to Va Beach and hadn't really found any that were authentic and also a little more unusual choices. Several menu items on their menu are the best I've tasted in a Mexican restaurant anywhere.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, VA
“Typical Mexican fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Not being a real Mexican food lover please take my review in that light. First off, the service was excellent. Went there on a busy Friday night with several other couples. Seated promptly and the wait staff was pleasant and fast.

I got two of their house tacos and my wife did the same. She thought hers were very good. Since all Mexican food tastes the same to me I can say that it was OK. Others in our party thought their food was great.

• Visited October 2012