“Awesome Eggplant P!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mannino's Italian Bistro (Thoroughgood)

Mannino's Italian Bistro (Thoroughgood)
1608 Pleasure House Rd, Suite 103, Virginia Beach, VA 23462 (Northwest Virginia Beach)
+1 757-226-0019
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mannino's Italian Bistro (Thoroughgood) is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,256 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Description: The experienced Culinary team of Chefs John R. Mannino & John M. Mannino (Father & Son Respectively) have partnered with Sommelier Daris Gavin to open New "Olde World Style" Italian Bistros. The goal was to give patrons Great Italian food at a reasonable price point with wine choices to match. We are sure that the Mannino’s Italian Bistro Family will work with great passion & attention to detail to try and ensure that our guest develop a sense of home and comfort while enjoying their dining experience. John R. spent time at many restaurants both locally (Nicholas’ at the Omni, La Bella Italia, Café Society {Executive Chef}, Bodegas & 456 Fish) and nationally (Lacey’s Restaurant/ Manhattan & East of Athens/ Long Island). John M Mannino is an Honors Graduate of Culinary Institute of America. He was the Executive Chef of Bodega & 4 5 6 Fish prior to opening Mannino's. John M also won the Inaugural 2012 Taste of Hamptonroads Iron Chef competition.
“Awesome Eggplant P!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Eggplant Parm was fantastic and Ashley is a superb server. We will definately visit again and we will pass this on to friends and family. You've set the bar high!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Visiting my sister in Virginia Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I are visiting my sister in Virginia Beach, VA. We asked her what would be a good Italian Restaurant to eat dinner at one evening and she suggested Mannino's on Pleasure House Rd. My sister was right on the mark, as I dinned on the best Veal Marsala I had ever eaten and we are from New York City where our friends own two Italian Restuarants in Greenwich Village. Also the soups were fantastic both the Clam Chowder and the Tomatoe Bisque were full of favor. The service was also great as our waitress Holly was very polite and attentive to our needs. How good was Mannino's? Well we were there two days ago and we are going back to have dinner there with my sister and her family tomorrow Weds. October 23.
You cannot go wrong at Mannino's when visting Virginia Beach!
Al Coqueran
Manhattan, N.Y.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Another home run by Mannino's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I stopped in without a reservation after some early shopping. We were met with a friendly greeting at the hostess station and seated in a comfy booth within 30 seconds. Our server, Ashley, was not far behind, and took our drink order (one wine, one cocktail) and was back in about 3 minutes with our drinks. We had the she crab soup and the fried oysters as appetizers. The she crab, which had more lump back fin than any other soup I have ever had, was the probably best I have ever tasted. The oyster presentation was as tasty as it was unique. The caprese salad was very good, not great. Lots of greens in the salad was a plus. The chicken saltimboca special was also very good. I missed the spinach as in the regular veal saltimboca (sherried mushrooms instead), but Ashley explained that before I ordered so it was not a surprise. The timing of the service was spot on as was Ashley's knowledge of the menu and specials. We are looking forward to going back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I brought my sister when she came to visit me last weekend. She requested some authentic Italian food in the HRVA and I knew I had to take her to Mannino’s! We were seated in a comfortable booth, where our server Erica greeted us with a warm welcome and told us the nightly specials. We settled on a nice Pinot Grigio, shared half a carafe, ordered appetizers and entrees.

Our food came out just in time. For appetizers, I got the crab soup, which I highly recommend and my sister enjoyed the caprice. Within moments of our plates being taken away, out came our entrees. It was like a perfectly timed symphony! My sister is a vegetarian and loved her Eggplant Parmesan, while I enjoyed the Scampi Francese (my go-to order). Another wonderful evening, delicious food and the service was excellent as usual. Always a 5 star experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Overall good; would try it again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I went here for our anniversary. I love Italian and wanted to try a restaurant we had not been to. If it allowed, I would actually give 3.5 stars.

I ran a search for Italian restaurants and this was one of the only ones we hadn't been to in the area. I then saw the glowing reviews on TA so we gave it a try. There was a lot of favorable reviews on their She Crab Soup. I am not a soup person and have actually never had that type of soup, thus nothing to compare it to. My husband and I shared a cup and from what I could tell, it was indeed good. The ambiance is just so so. I guess we got a nice corner booth because it was our anniversary so that helped it feel more romantic. They also had a card on the table stuck in a wine cork that said "Happy Anniversary" and was signed by staff. I thought that was a nice touch as opposed to the normal free dessert you might get for a special occasion.

Where they fell short is telling us we'd get an "upcharge of 3.99" for me wanting a different sauce on my gnocchi. Mind you, this sauce was available as it was in other dishes and even offered as a sauce one can choose from if one were to get a side of pasta. So I wasn't really asking for anything too difficult and they weren't that busy as it was a Monday night. Also, again, it was our anniversary which must have been forgotten in that moment. Speaking of which, I've never had this issue when at other Italian restaurants and asked for a similar variation with the same type of sauce. I was told "ok" and it was done without charge. This was a definite turn off but the waitress was pleasant and we were set out to enjoy our evening vs complain until now during this review. The waitress, Holly did very well actually. I was impressed with her service and how well organized and well timed each dish was given to us. In other words, we were not rushed nor did we have to wait too long for any item. We hate to have an appetizer and our meals come out a minute later. We haven't had this good of timing with service that I can recall, so noteworthy.

On another note, I found it strange that there were like 5 wallet sized pics laying loose in a row on a table in the women's single restroom.

We had: The Fried Mozzarella: pretty good...it is more like Mozzarella en Cerozza(ms?)....which is Italian bread stuffed with cheese and lightly fried vs the fried cheese stick type. I've had better, but it was worth eating.
She crab soup: I'm not into soup, but I could see the appeal. I doubt I would get it again, but if you like soup and you like crab then I would def give it a try.
Fett w/ chicken and Italian sausage: my husband enjoyed it but we were stuffed by the time our meals came unfortunately
Gnocchi: changed from tomato sauce to a tomato cream sauce: I really wanted the Penne ala Vodka, but was worried I wouldn't like the way they did the sauce (particular about the sauce and only 2 restaurants have done it just right) so I figured if I didn't like the tomato cream sauce (similar to ala vodka sauce) then I'd at least have the gnocchi to enjoy. Although I've had it this way before, it was way too heavy after the soup and app, but that wasn't their fault. It was very good and next time I'll try the Penne as they seem to do the sauce "right." They give very good portions and prices are reasonable.
We got 2 desserts to go: truffles and cannoli. I tried a truffle at home and it was good....would have preferred some type of chocolate cake to chose from instead. The cannoli was brought home for one of our little ones.

Would we go again and rec to others....Yes. With 3 little ones we rarely go out. We haven't been out to a nice dinner in about a year so if I seem particular, I am but that is partly why. Enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere