“Great lunch at the beach in the spring” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Seafood, Oyster Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Local favorite that is great for visitors as well. Great breakfast right on the water at the Rudee Inlet. Was recommended to us by some locals and overheard at least 2 other people telling other visitors to go there during our 5 day stay. Great lunch and dinners also that feature daily blackboard specials. All desserts are homemade. Seafood, fresh meats, produce and dairy are delivered fresh everyday.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great lunch at the beach in the spring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Awesome crab cake sandwich on a sunny spring day. Nice, comfortable family friendly atmosphere. A couple of local puppies stopped by and so did the super nice and always smiling owner: Big Sam. Bartender even knows how to make my favorite martini, the "Gin Laden". Excellent ! I shall return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
BKruler,
thanks for enjoying Big Sam's for what it is. You get it. Casual, good and fun is what we are all about. Thanks again for the great review.

Thurmont, Maryland
“Awesome Crabcakes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Went on Friday night 3/14/14. Arrived about 7:15 p.m. and left my name with the host for a party of 2. Was told it would be about 45 minute wait which was ok with us. Weather wasn't too bad so we waited outside with about 15 or so people. After 45 minutes most of the other people had gone inside and we were left with about 4 people wating outside with a puppy waiting for a t-go order. After about an hour and 15 minutes I went inside to find the host (a young male) and saw his clipboard on a table. When I went and looked for our name on the list, it was crossed off. Both my wife and I never heard him call it and that is the only reason I didn't give them an excellent rating. Several times when we did see the young man come outside to call a name on the list, it was very brief, called the name once and went back inside without calling the name more than once. We even asked a lady one time he came out what the name was that he called. I found him after I saw the list, told him what happened and he got us the next table. After that everything was fine. Whitney was our server and did a great job and the crabcakes were awesome as was the she-crab soup. I saw some speakers outside which weren't playing any music or being used to call names, maybe this should be looked into for the people waiting outside. Would visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bill H,
sorry that you were missed by our host and I am glad that he rectified the situation for you. I am also glad that you enjoyed everything including the crabcakes. We look forward to serving you again.Thank you for the nice review.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Loved the Lobster Salad and the wings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Went there for dinner and ordered appetizers and the lobster salad. The wings were really good. I can't describe the flavor, but they were delicious. The lobster salad was fantastic. We will definitely go back. Don't expect fancy - it's extremely casual - but the view is great since you are right on the water. Can't wait to try their breakfast.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
bdewolk,
Very happy that you loved the food at Big Sam's. Thank you so much for the great review.
Martinsburg, WV
“Best Pancakes Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I ate at this restaurant for the first time on a recent mini vacation. Wasn't sure what to expect when we pulled up in the parking lot as the place looked like part of the fishing center. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised. The server was extremely friendly and prompt with taking our drink then breakfast order. We ordered the pancakes based upon local recommendations. The pancakes took up the entire plate and were quite tasty, maybe even the best tasting pancakes I have ever had at a restaurant. I definitely hope we have a chance to have breakfast again at Big Sam's next time we visit Virginia Beach.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice spot for a drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Nice place to look out over the Marina on Rudee Inlet, a few minutes walk from 5th Street. It's kind of a pub looking place. We didn't eat there, but the staff were great and the prices seemed reasonable. There are lots of TVs on with various sports showing.

Visited February 2014