“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rainelle, West Virginia
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

This hotel is located on the beach with all rooms having a private balcony & ocean view. You can watch the dolphins swim by at different times throughout the day. The outdoor pool is on top of the parking garage and has lounge chairs, tables with umbrellas and 3 firepits to sit around at nightfall. It is next door to the original Coast Guard station which is now a museum and gift shop. It is within walking distance of the pier, carnival rides and plenty of shops and local eateries.

The bedroom is separate from the living/dining/kitchen area which makes it nice for longer stays. The beds are clean & comfortable. There are 2 flat screen TV'S, a pullout couch, a kitchenette and all facilities are up to date and tastefully decorated.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We have been Choice Privileges members for a few years now, and made this reservation including the member number. I made sure to note in the "special requests" line that we preferred a top floor room, and one away from the elevator. Being pregnant, I am an even lighter sleeper than usual, and from past experience I know that generally the closer you are to the elevator, the louder the room is what with people walking past and chatting while waiting for the elevator. I called the hotel the day ahead to double check that my room request was noted, and after being put on hold for 5 minutes, was assured that it was. When we arrived around 9:30 pm, we were told that there was only one room left in the King Suite category that we had reserved, and that it was on the second floor, quite near to the elevator. I was well aware that my room request was not guaranteed, and based on availability, but I was expecting to at least have it taken into consideration before arriving to check in! Especially since we are members of their rewards program. It was clear that the requests line is just for decoration, and that the rooms are strictly on a first come, first served basis. Since we arrived at 9:30, we got the left-overs. Anyway, that was the way it was, and, trying not to be too disappointed, we made our way to our room. Stepping off the elevator, I was a little confused, and again disappointed, because the old, dark hallway with stained tile and carpet and very noisy ice maker that we entered was nothing like the airy outdoor hallway with railing that was pictured online. I soon realized that the lowermost 2 or 3 floors were the only ones with enclosed hallways, on account of the adjacent parking garage. Lucky us. The room itself (room 203) was fine at first glance, though it was so low to the ground that the boardwalk lights shown squarely in one's eyes, severely hindering viewing of the ocean at night. The hotel is set up so that there are no guest rooms on ground level, so even though we were on the 2nd floor, we were actually on what would be a 3rd floor level. This was a small comfort. However, once daylight hit I was very disappointed to find that we were still too low to the ground to watch the waves wash in on the beach. We could see them rolling in and breaking, but then they disappeared because of how the sand on the beach is banked. Watching the waves from the balcony is one of the top reasons we make sure to get an oceanfront room when visiting VA Beach, and this was the only time in several years of visits that we have had such a low room that we could not watch the waves wash in.
The room was NOT as clean as it should have been. Surprising, based on the number of positive reviews I had read prior to booking the room. There were numerous small hairs around the upper edge of the sink bowl, in the shower, on the ledge surrounding the shower, and around the edge of the bathroom floor. Gross. If it hadn't of been so late at night, and we hadn't of been so exhausted from a long day, I would have requested a room cleaning before touching anything. There were also what looked like dried food and a white, dust-like substance on the kitchenette countertop, as well as dried food in the sink. The small tile strip on the floor in front of kitchenette was sticky. The mini fridge was already cold, which was quite nice, but we found that while the back half of the fridge was plenty cold, the front half was barely cool enough to keep our food at a safe temperature. And we couldn't find a dial to turn it up, though it may have been hidden under the strange ice chunk at the back center of the fridge. Also, there was no ice compartment in the fridge, which meant we had no way to keep our ice packs frozen for our return trip home. Not a huge bother, since we just filled zip-locks with ice, but something to plan for if you're used to mini fridges having freezer compartments.
In the bedroom, there was a large window in the wall beside the head of the bed, which was not pictured in the online photos. Of course, there was a nice, thick curtain covering it, but it was rather weird to have a window looking out into a dingy hallway. Once we tried to go to sleep, my fears were confirmed in that it let in a LOT of noise. You could hear everyone who walked past, and who used the elevator. We were awakened to some folks having a disagreement in the hallway near the elevator, and we could have easily made out what they were saying, if we were so inclined. Being well after 1am, we were not so inclined. (We also did not call the front desk, so that was our bad.)
The king bed did not have a wide enough mattress pad. It was a good foot short on either side, and created a ridge where it ended. Very weird, and uncomfortable for both my husband and myself. However, the bed did not creak, which was nice.
The plentiful lighting was very nice and bright, and the updated furnishings and decorations were nice, and as pictured in the hotel's online photos.
The bathroom toilet was a source of constant frustration for both my husband and myself. I'm not sure who designed the bathroom, but they clearly did not take into consideration that one day someone would actually have to sit on the toilet to relieve themselves. The wall beside and in front of the toilet slants out at such an angle that one must sit on the smaller-than-normal toilet *sideways* to avoid their knees/head hitting the wall, and having the toilet roll holder in their lap. I should have taken a picture of it, because it even sounds absurd to myself now as I type it out. Neither of us are large, by any means. I have always been thin, and even at 23 weeks pregnant am smaller than most of the ladies we saw on the beach. So it is not a body size issue.
There was no sliding door to the balcony, but we were able to easily prop open the heavy solid door with a balcony chair to let in the wonderful ocean air and sound of waves. That is, until the smell of cigarette smoke filled the room. Looking out, there were what appeared to be several homeless folks, and a few unsavory characters, gathering on the three benches smack out front of our room. These must have been "their" benches, because they were there for several hours every single one of the 4 nights of our stay. And every night we had to smell cigarette smoke if we opened our door or tried to enjoy our balcony. Very disappointing for someone who is allergic to cigarette smoke. So, try very hard to arrive at check-in early enough in the day to request an upper floor room. It's worth the view and clean ocean air. Also, it's worth the privacy, as we were low enough that those on the boardwalk could easily see into our room at night if our lights were on and the drapes open. (We know this because we left our lights on one evening while we walked the boardwalk in front of the hotel.)
Now a few positives. The breakfast room and exercise room were on the 4th floor and had large glass windows overlooking the boardwalk and ocean. This was a wonderful start to our day, and as we were 2 floors higher here than in our room, we had a much better view of the waves washing onto the beach. The exercise bikes and equipment were newer, and placed perpendicular to the windows overlooking the ocean... spectacular view!! The breakfast attendant was very pleasant, and she kept the breakfast bar well stocked until breakfast ended at 10AM. There was a lovely assortment of breads and donuts with jams, PB, butter, and cream cheese, cold cereals, whole fruit, make-your-own waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, several juices, nice coffee bar, etc. Plus, every morning, there were two hot foods in the warmer: egg rounds (not sure if these were real eggs) sometimes folded over with melted cheese in the middle, with either sausage, ham, or sausage gravy and biscuits (that one was my favorite!!).
The pool was also on the 4th floor, on the back side so it would have gotten the afternoon sun. However, this was closed. Since we visited before Memorial Day, I was not surprised to find it still closed for the season, but having seen no mention of this when checking in online, and not being told at check in, I was actually assuming it was in fact open. It looked like it would have been a nice space though, with round fire pits along one side. Many other hotels already had their pools open, so if this is important to you, be sure to ask ahead of booking if you're visiting offseason.
The WIFI was great. We sat on the beach directly in front of the hotel, and was pleasantly surprised that the signal was strong enough to allow connected browsing on the beach!
I was actually planning on giving this review 2 stars, since I figured that's about what our room itself was worth, but I changed my mind after checking out. We passed a cleaning lady in the hall who was extremely pleasant, and the lady at the front desk was extremely nice!! She went above and beyond to make pleasant and happy conversation with us, and, since they weren't too busy, allowed us to keep our car parked in the garage for a couple more hours after checking out.
So, all things considered, (and in spite of the numerous hairs in the bathroom), I believe this hotel gets an overall 3-star review.

Room Tip: Arrive early to request an upper floor, away from the elevator!! Room requests before check-in are f...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Richard M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you very much for your review; it means a lot to me that you took the time to provide us with this detailed information. It is always helpful to know exactly how our guests are experiencing their stay with us. It does weigh on my heart that we did not meet your expectations on your last visit. We do try our hardest to accommodate each of our guests request to the best of our availability and we really hate to disappoint anyone when they deserve nothing less than the best. From the time you check in, to the moment you open the door to your room, until the very last second you walk out of our hotel our team tries to create the most enjoyable atmosphere we can to make our guest feel welcomed and comfortable. With that said I am very pleased that you thought highly of our team and our breakfast. Our teams smiling faces do make a difference in your experience and we try to make the rest of our hotel shine as bright as their smiles. I would really love to have the chance to provide you with the relaxing stay and accommodations you deserve. If you could please contact me directly I would like to have the chance to speak with you about how we can make your next trip to Virginia Beach much more fulfilling.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed with Comfort suites in quite a few places but this stay was a winner. This room was a true one bedroom apartment with ocean view. In fact, all rooms are ocean view. The bathroom was large, clean, and comfortable. The stay included breakfast with all the things that you may need. The restaurant and the gym overlook the water. The hotel staff was helpful and friendly.
The only one thing I did not get was that the room did not have a safe, but the hotel offer this service at the front desk. The area where the hotel is located is very resourceful with drug stores, restaurants, etc. All and all, a great experience!

Room Tip: Great ocean views
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Richard M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 1 week ago
This is amazing to hear! I want to thank you from our entire team for just being our guest here at the Comfort Suites Beachfront. We are so lucky to be placed in a great location on the boardwalk and to work with a hotel that is newly renovated. It is so nice to hear that our hard work on the hotel and hospitality to our guest does pay off. Please remember us on your next vacation, we would love for you to be our guest again. Thank you so much!
elkton, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We decided to check out Virginia Beach on our way back from a Myrtle Beach vacation. I found this hotel on a website and had no idea of what to expect although the ratings and reviews were pretty good So we took a chance and I'm glad we did. We were pleasantly surprised to find our suite very nicely decorated, clean, and very comfortable. The bed and pillows made for a great night's sleep. Because of noise from the maintenance staff the second afternoon we were offered compensation. In my opinion that was going beyond good customer service. I would definitely go back there if we decide to do another stay in Virginia Beach.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
My team and I are jumping for joy at this wonderful review. Spontaneous trips are always nice and the fact that we could make your short stay with us relaxing and enjoyable fills our hearts with such warmth. From our staff to our newly renovated rooms and our good night sleep worthy beds, we try to make sure we leave this impression to any guest who has either planed their vacation or just needs to stop in for the night. We really hope to see you back for your next trip!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Pros: $110 with taxes a night, very comfortable beds, living area with coffee/fridge, gorgeous big window for ocean view. Very nice staff. Really great free breakfast! The boardwalk is wonderful and was great just to walk up and down with the kids. Lots of shops and art to look at and easy to walk up and down the streets. Most of the restaurants were average. There's two putt putt golf places nearby, I didn't visit them though. The Norfolk zoo is only 19 miles away, easy interstate drive, free for FONZ members (reciprocating zoo) and $11 for everyone else- worth it, it's a nice B+ zoo.
Cons: hallways outside and in are very narrow. You'd notice this if you were traveling with a wheelchair or a stroller. If not hindered by wheels it's not a big deal. They didn't clean out the coffee maker after I used it, also not a big deal but i hadn't encountered that. The coffee there is pretty awful btw. I was given a shower and not a tub and no one mentioned that would happen, and my 2 year old was afraid of showers so that was rough. Their pool was closed and that was also not mentioned when booking or checking in. However the courtyard by Marriott was sharing their pool with comfort suites guests. It was a little more of a pain to walk down three hotels to it but it was worth it my son had a great time.
There are a group of homeless people that sit and drink on the benches on he boardwalk right in front of the hotel. They didn't bother anyone and looked mostly harmless but sometimes were obnoxious, as drunks tend to be, with loud talking when you're trying to enjoy your surroundings.
There's no real lobby or any restaurants or bars at this hotel. There's plenty on walking distance though.

The natives are a smidge on the side of trashy...but damn they are nice and friendly. I felt very relaxed while there, even with the shadier looking locals. It was a refreshing change from people in Maryland. I'll take the prison tattoos over people being jerks any day.
There's no shells on the beach. I found that unusual too. I'm sure there's some reason?

Overall it was great. Not glamorous, but I liked it that way. A lot of normal people there having fun with their families, instead of yor typical florida or California body competitions. I will deinitely visit again.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear you had an over all great stay with us and was pleased with our staff. We all love each and every one of our guest and will do almost anything to make sure they have the best vacation possible. I am how ever sorry to hear about the con's side of your stay. The entire community is joining forces to make sure we keep the Ocean Front as inviting as possible. With this we are doing our best to help those that are in need on the Ocean Front to find the proper shelter. Our unique design to our building is an open concept which does leave our hallways open to give it more of a beach feel. This way our guest get the chance to smell the ocean on your walk to your room, open the door to your room and be able to see the ocean on the other side of your room without even having a chance to miss the ocean. I am also very sorry we did not mention our pool opening contract that give us an opening date of Memorial Day Weekend. I have advised our Desk Staff to make sure we mention it to each of our wonderful guest at check-in. Thank you so much for that detailed feed back so we can continue to grow and honor our guest as they deserve. I hope to see you back in the future, it was really a pleasure to have you and receive your feedback on our Virginia Beach Oceanfront along with our hotel. Thank you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Very nice room. Clean and spacious was a great spot for the fight party although they don't offer paper view. So we had to watch the fight I without sound. This would be first hotel I have been to that didnt have real cable.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms. With our newly renovated rooms it does offer more space than before and our team loves to show them off along with the rest of our hotel. I am how ever sorry about not having the Pay Per View option. With our full Cox Cable Contract offering 259 channels and premium channels such as HBO, it does not offer the Pay Per View Movie options that some hotels in other cities provide. Luckily, with the location of our building we do have many sports bars around us that would offer this sports option. I hope that this option has not limited your stays with us because we would love to have you back as our guest on your next getaway to Virginia Beach Oceanfront. If you need anything else at all please feel free to contact me Directly at (757)491-2400. Thank you so much for your feedback and I really hope to see you again.
District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a review based solely on my booking over the phone experience. I read the reviews saying that this hotel has nice staff with great customer service. Unfortunately, I felt like I was bothering the front desk and the reservation people. I just had questions about the difference in rooms. They couldn't wait to get me off the phone. I found myself apologizing for asking questions. Very impatient and curt. I'm now nervous about spending my family holiday there. Wondering if I should cancel my reservation and go elsewhere...

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Richard M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Beachfront, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this valuable feedback concerning your phone experience while making your reservation with us. It is pulling on my heart and our teams heart strings to hear about this situation. Our staff has always taken pride in our guest along with our hotel and we would love nothing more to give each of our guest the very best that we can offer starting with our first impression over the phone. Please, if you could contact myself or my Assistant General Manager, Colleen Kampney, directly we will make sure that you are given our undivided attention and the relaxing holiday that you and your family deserve. Again, I am truly sorry and if you need anything at all to make your upcoming stay more comfortable please let us know and we will give you all that we can offer to do so.

Been to Comfort Suites Beachfront? Share your experiences!