“Nice rooms, crappy location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #66 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
Alexandria, VA, USA
“Nice rooms, crappy location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The rooms are newly renovated and very nice. The pool is nothing special. The drawback for us was the location, there is a group of homeless people that loiter around out front, the beach is littered, and it is right next to an outdoor concert venue where they played extremely loud music every night until 11pm (not great for families with young children like us). If we hadn't prepaid, we probably would have relocated a few blocks north or left VA beach entirely (we prefer the MD, DE, and NC beach towns).

• Stayed August 2014

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My family had two oceanfront suites for two days.The beds were comfortable, refrig, microwave, air working great, friendly staff. Walk right out to the boardwalk and in close distance to restaurants, drugstore, etc. The free breakfast was fine for me: Doughnuts, muffins, yogurt, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, waffles, sausage and eggs. Those last two items looked a little strange but I didn't want any anyway. Free parking.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I can honestly say I have had the worst stay of my life in a hotel at the Comfort Suites Beachfront hotel in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know where to begin. Upon checking in to the hotel I paid my room full in cash but the next day I noticed was still charged to the full amount to the card on file to book the room. The manager wanted to argue that it was not charged but authorized, regardless of the terminology used the money was taken out of my account for something that I had already paid for. While filing a complaint at the front desk another guest came down to say he had the same problem. He paid for his room with a different credit card used to book the room and both were charged. We were told that it is apparently hotel policy to charge all cards the morning of guest arrival to insure they receive payment. So be aware that no matter how you plan to pay for your stay this hotel will charge the card you used to book the room. They didn't even ask me for the card I had to reserve the room upon check-in to match it to my ID or ask if I was going to use another form of payment. As a recruiter that spend a lot of time on the road staying on hotels this has never happened to me and this policy of Choice Hotels International, Inc . will make me never stay at another one of their hotels. All the hotel wants to due is protect their payment if a guest does not show up, but they do that at the expense and detriment of the majority of the customers that do honor their reservations. It would make more sense to me that you charge the cards of the no-shows once the time deadline to check-in has expired. 7am of the morning the guest are suppose to check-in and the deadline of 7am the following morning will not stop the hotel for receiving the payment for no-shows.

The front desk person that works nights, Olga, is a terrible hospitality employee and even worst representation for the company. She is rude, unhelpful, and has an attitude that is unbelievable. After getting to my room we found a huge blood stain in the middle of the carpet and dried blood residue in the bathroom. Then we had to call down to Olga who told us no one was there that could clean it and she would see if she could change our room but she didn't know and would call us back. About 15 minutes later she called back with he attitude and was unapologetic to say she would change the room but we would need to come get the new keys.

A few other problems they run out of wash cloths, towels, and blankets everyday so you might want to bring your own. The pool was littered with dirty towels and no one came to clean them or replace new towels until we had to say something. This hotel is a very reactive rather than proactive to guest needs. I knew there was a reason I always stay at Marriott hotels. I have sure learn my lesson the hard way but I can tell you again I will never stay at another Choice Hotel International, Inc. brand again and would recommend you save yourself a headache from staying specifically at the Comfort Suites Beachfront hotel in Virginia Beach, VA.

• Stayed August 2014
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here three nights in July. Room wasn't ready on arrival but that happens. So we went off to explore hotel and get some groceries. I had booked a corner suite not near elevator and not below the 4th floor. The clerk at the front desk explained the corner suites were near the elevator but you can't hear any noise from the elevators, so I said fine. When we got back the room was ready but it was on the fourth floor. This is where the breakfast room is, the pool and the work out room. I said that I had asked for a quiet room and having every person in the hotel walking past our room could be a little noisy. He quickly offered me another room on the top floor it wasn't a corner suite but it was a very large lovely room. My daughter slept on the pull out couch and found it comfortable. We had a king bed and it was very comfortable. One issue was they had the only access to the balcony in the bedroom and it had no curtain. I would recommend a curtain over the balcony door since the sun is very bright in the mornings. The living room had black out curtains and it was dark. The bedroom black out curtains did not cover the glass door only windows so I pulled the curtains over and hooked it on a screw in the door fram to at least partially block the light. The breakfast was great, three people were always busy keeping up with the crowds. Go early to get a table. The pool was nice but they definitely need more umbrellas it gets hot in afternoon and there was only three umbrellas to sit under. We went a couple of times and there never one available. The people at the front desk were friendly and quick to help you. Always a smile and hello. I asked for a good place to eat and when I mentioned a place I saw on trip advisor she got on the web site and checked to see where it was. She said it is little confusing to drive to and recommended a place we could walk to which was great. The cleaning could have been a little better but to be fair we were sitting on balcony so maybe she tried to do it fast. We were one of the first rooms to be cleaned and she didn't have any hand towels available so I asked for extra large towels as the bathroom was very big and the floor was tiled and cold so I used the towels to stand on. She gave them to me no problem and offered to come back with the hand towels later but I told her it was ok. The kitchenette has no utensils no dish soap no dish towels to clean dishes. So be prepared. The beach was cleaned every morning and you could rent the lounge chairs and umbrellas. Or walk across the street and buy your own. There is a small light house museum next door and it has a grassy lawn which seems to be the place where the homeless hang out during the day but they never bothered people and it never felt unsafe. The parking was good. I wish there was a safe in the room though. We never had a problem but I was leery to leaving valuables in the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel for families.

Room Tip: If you don't have young kids you might not want to be on the 4th level as that is where the pool...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After reviewing other beachfront hotels in Virginia Beach, we settled on the Comfort Suites and were well pleased with no regrets. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Rooms are newly remodeled, clean with up-to-date furnishings. Had a great view of the ocean from our room and the breakfast area. Breakfast was good and enjoyed the pool area with it's new patio furniture. Also it was nice having our car parked in their indoor garage. We definitely would stay here again. Only suggestion that we have is that management consider installing towel racks in the bathroom instead of the current hooks.

Room Tip: Staying on the 5th floor or above gives the best view of both the oceanfront and the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here for the 5th year in a row last week.. From July 23-27th and already have my trip booked for the end of August!!! Absolutely love the hotel with the new renovations.... It was soooo nice and comfy. The beds were clean and comfy, rooms were clean and always plenty of supplies. The breakfast was awesome and helped when feeding a family on vacation!! The staff from the front desk crew... Peter, Corinne and Colleen (sorry can't remember them all but these 3 stand out) to housekeeping and breakfast crew were all soooo nice and friendly and always had a smile!! We arrived at 7:30am and although the room was not available til about 1, understandable... We were given a parking pass, key to use facilities and able to have breakfast after driving all night from NY..... Awesome hospitality!! I can't say enough good things about this crew!!! Can't wait to come back in 3 and a half weeks!!! :)

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cameron, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I visited this hotel with my family again this year and we truly enjoyed it. We came last summer before the renovations were done and we were very pleased with the upgrade of the hotel. The furniture and bedding were very nice. We even liked the glass shower in the bathroom. All the staff that I encountered were very welcoming and friendly. Another plus is the parking garage. There was plenty of space for us to park during this trip, and it's also safe. You need a key card to get into the building from all levels, so there's not too much worry of random people walking around in the hotel.

I really enjoyed the fitness center and the pool area. The furniture out there is beautiful. This hotel is great because all rooms are oceanfront. We had a great view from the 7th floor. If you step out on the "street view" you have live entertainment of people singing or playing music on 21st street. Sometimes we even got entertainment on the oceanfront side from a man loudly singing "On the Boardwalk" LoL!! It was stated that the hotel was full for the weekend that we stayed, however you would have never known because there was not a lot of noise.

The only problem that we had during this trip was the fact that the door on our shower did not close all the way, no matter how hard you pulled it. Therefore, our floor kept getting wet. We put a towel down, but with 5 of us there taking showers, it was beyond soaked at the end of the night. Other than that, everything was great and I cannot wait to visit again!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Beachfront? Share your experiences!