“Good food, great service, not disappointed.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mannino's Italian Bistro (Kempsville)

Mannino's Italian Bistro (Kempsville)
4402 Princess Anne Rd Ste 107, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
+1 757-474-4446
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mannino's Italian Bistro (Kempsville) is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,159 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The experienced Culinary team of Chefs John R. Mannino & John M. Mannino (Father & Son Respectively) have partnered with Sommelier Daris Gavin to open New "Olde World Style" Italian Bistros. The goal was to give patrons Great Italian food at a reasonable price point with wine choices to match. We are sure that the Mannino's Italian Bistro Family will work with great passion & attention to detail to try and ensure that our guest develop a sense of home and comfort while enjoying their dining experience. John R. spent time at many restaurants both locally (Nicholas' at the Omni, La Bella Italia, Cafe Society {Executive Chef}, Bodegas & 456 Fish) and nationally (Lacey's Restaurant/ Manhattan & East of Athens/ Long Island). John M Mannino is an Honors Graduate of Culinary Institute of America. He was the Executive Chef of Bodega & 4 5 6 Fish prior to opening Mannino's. John M also won the Inaugural 2012 Taste of Hamptonroads Iron Chef competition.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good food, great service, not disappointed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

First time at Mannino's and it won't be my last. I hosted a family dinner there and our server, Jenn, took great care of us. The sommelier helped guide me to a great bottle of wine in my price range, and it seemed like everyone on the staff helped out in one way or another, whether delivering food, clearing plates, or picking up the broken dish my niece dropped. Although we were there on a week night so the restaurant wasn't packed, I didn't think the decor or ambiance was lacking. I'm assuming other posters who wanted "private" tables are looking for those booths where you can draw the curtains. They def. do not have those here but I liked the openness of it, as it reminds me more of the restaurants I ate in during my trip to Italy. Fried green tomatoes appetizer was my favorite, and I loved the cheesecake for dessert. Our entrees were mainly the nights specials, a steak dish, and a sausage ravioli dish, both delicious, my brother in law got lasagna and although I made fun of him at first, I tasted it and was impressed! I appreciated the care they took in wrapping up my leftovers too. It's the little things that count! We will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Virginia Beach, VA
“My very favorite Italian restaurant in all of Hampton Roads.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Mannino's makes their own fresh mozzarella and grows their own herbs. We also recently used their catering services and our guests have still not stopped talking about their amazing lasagna and chicken parmesan. My favorite is their Pollo Francese ...but a must-have starter is their fried green tomatoes appetizer.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Incredible Food, Incredible wine, Incredible Service, Every time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

My husband and I have been coming to Mannino's almost weekly for the last 6 months, and we there are weeks I wish we were going twice. The food is consistently wonderful. I have a weakness for their Pollo Portofino, where as my husband samples different things off the menu each time and is never disappointed. The tiramisu is hands down the best in town. Always fresh, always light, always the perfect balance. It's a masterpiece some of the most expensive Italian places around have not yet perfected.
I've seen some complaints about the atmosphere, and I whole heartedly disagree. I come from a European family and the atmosphere is very European in that it is cozy and friendly. It encourages interaction and I love that. We often find ourselves chatting with the tables next to us, usually swapping our takes on our favorite dishes and what we should try our next time around. If you want privacy, then no, this is not for you. If you want the feel of a wonderful Italian dinner in the middle of Italy, this is your place.
Even if the food was mediocre (which it never is!), the detail oriented staff would be enough to keep us coming back. Even after just a few visits we were being greeted by name. They remember our quirks (to provide an extra spoon so I can steal from my husband's soup bowl, and brining extra balsamic vinegar to have with the prosciutto and mozzarella appetizer). They give you time to enjoy your food, and on the rare occasion that the kitchen may be running behind, they are honest about a bit of an extra wait (nothing irritates me more than a staff who constantly makes excuses or tells me something will be "right up" when they know better).
Lastly, my husband and I love red wine, and the manager has an incredible knowledge of what they have to offer and has not failed us yet in a bottle of wine. Their wines are reasonable, most under $30, and easily stand-up to bottles twice that price at other places. They are unique, flavorful, and never a disappointment.
We consider ourselves pretty big foodies and really enjoy the chance to go out and have a nice relaxing dinner, so we have a lot of places in town to compare this restaurant to, and there is definitely a reason we return here regularly. I would (and often do) recommend this restaurant to anyone who thinks they deserve a break and a fabulous meal!

Norfolk, Virginia
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

By far the best Italian food we have had in a long time! We usually go at least once a month and the food and service is always amazing every time. I recommend trying the daily specials as they are something different and always good. Very big wine list with lots of wines to choose from. Our server Jeff, helped navigate us through it to find the perfect one for our meal.
Will definitely be back very soon!!

Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
“the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect from the outside....The food was delicious and the service was great.I had the Tortellini Mannino and can still imagine the taste.It sure beats those "chain" Italian restaurants.

• Visited July 2010