“Disappointing!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginai
“Disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Ummm...I wanted to surprise my daughter and treat her for a nice break...so we stayed here durning the Nuptune Festival..the location was close to the event but we felt uncomfortable...felt like we were being watched because cameras everywhere. The advertisement said there was a lounge...gameroom...ice machine not the case.....no one in office in the evenings...seemed like once they got the money the office people disappeared...the shower handle broke on me and the owner blamed me for breaking it..this place could be a gold mine if managed properly...

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I spent an entire month at the Alamar while I was relocating to the area. It offered me everything I needed. The suite was clean and offered a kitchen with all the comforts of home. The owners and housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for daily walks on the boardwalk. Thanks to all for making my transition to a new town so easy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Alamar Resort Inn is a wonderful place to stay for your get away. The owners and staff were always friendly and helpful, and made us feel nothing but welcomed. I'm really funny about how places smell when I stay there, because some hotel smell weird, and I can gladly say The Alamar Resort Inn was very refreshing, as well as perfectly clean! Definitely appropriate for a family stay, business stay, couples, or even solo. Great location. This is the only place I would stay when I come back to V.A., and I advise everyone else to stay here too!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Alamar one night while traveling through Virginia Beach. We knew we would get a good night's rest when we read the rules involving respect for fellow guests. It is a small hotel, just a block and a half from the boardwalk and beach. Our room was a nice size and the bathroom had been remodeled. The microwave and refrigerator were a plus. The resort is very well maintained and clean. It looked and was very cozy. We would definitely stay there again when we pass through the area. Next time we hope to stay additional nights..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I selected this location because it was pet friendly and we wanted a quick week-end get-away. We liked the friendly welcome and noticed right away the well-appointed exterior and the cleanliness of our room. However, no mention was made of the fact that the only ice-machine on the property was broken and this was a big inconvenience later in the evening. We found the surrounding neighborhood less than desirable and there was much noise and police activity well into the early morning hours. Our room was adjoining to another and every time our neighbors flushed their toilet it sounded like they were actually in our bathroom it was so loud. We did enjoy the pool and liked having a refrigerator and microwave. It is a shame this location is situated where it is because we will not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed Monday through Friday and the place was quiet and comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite. Pros for this place was location, plenty of hot water and good water pressure, and the refrigerator was spotless. The saltwater pool was nice, along with the rooftop and second floor decks. The rooms were nice sized and for a family of 4 we did not feel cramped.

The cons were quite a few. First there not being a safe in the room and no chain lock (or other device) to lock the door other than the handle and deadbolt that had a key hole in the front. I prefer a way to lock the door where someone canot enter by key considering I have children. Second were the roaches. Granted I only found 2 and the owners must have been aware considering the pest control man came by to check back from a previous visit, it still was rather gross. For a "full" kitchen they didn't even have a toaster. Our dishwasher broke on the second day we were there after our housekeeper was so nice to do our dishes (as I had read about in other posts and found a bonus). When I went to the office to let them know that we had come back to a floor filled with soapy water I was interrogated by who I can only assume was Tina. She was very upset the housekeeper did the dishes and was rather rude about the whole incident. To her defense she did ring the room within minutes to apologize. However they never bothered to even look at/fix the dishwasher. They lock the door to the washers and dryers (and the ice machine that doesn't work) at night without warning - leaving us running late the next day while we dried our laundry that sat in the washer overnight. No TV in the bedroom was another negative.

We are the easy going type. If not I'm sure this stay wouldn't have been as good. However my husband and I agreed we wouldn't return to this establishment. We didn't feel welcome or appreciated while patronizing this establishment. Combining that with the other negatives it's worth trying somewhere else

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We appreciate this guests's complements on our comfortable , spacious and quiet hotel as well as our observation decks, outdoor saltwater pool and location. The Alamar is a 2 minute walk to the middle of the boardwalk and beach area which makes it a great access point for our guests. Our wonderful staff works hard to provide very nice and very clean accommodations for our guests and we appreciate this guest's acknowledgement of their efforts.

The Alamar Resort Inn is a family owned and family oriented hotel and is very safe and secure because it matters to us and we make it so. We care very much about all of this guests comments and want to address each item mentioned, While checking this guest in, we had a cordial and friendly conversation about Va Bch, things to do and a sushi restaurant recommendation. We spoke to them several times during their stay and they told us they were having a great time and no mention was made about having any concerns. We are proactive about pest prevention and have a weekly green treatment done in all of the rooms. Guest's cleanliness and what they may bring from home in their luggage makes regular treatment a must. Our housekeeper was concerned about all of the dirty dishes and pots with food on them left out in this guest's room so she extended this guest the extra courtesy service of cleaning the kitchen of their suite. Our housekeeper inadvertently did not latch the dishwasher completely and when this was discovered she immediately went back to the room , apologized and took care of the issue. Our guest laundry is locked at 10pm and reopened at 8 am. We would have gladly re-opened it if this guest had contacted the front desk to let us know that their laundry was still in the washer from early afternoon. The ice machine does work, but, sometimes may take a little while to replenish if a guest has filled up their ice chest. This guest had a suite and the television is in the living room and a second television for the bedroom and a toaster was just a phone call away. Guests don't all have the same needs so we tailor each guest's stay to fit their wishes. We are always available and responsive when given the opportunity.

The Alamar Resort Resort Inn wants all of it's guests to have as wonderful and memorable a vacation as possible. We thank this guest for staying with us and hope that they choose to stay with us again and if they do we will welcome them with open arms.
Rixeyville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was our fourth year here and we plan to return next year. We always appreciate the spacious room, friendly owners, and beautiful pool. The standout feature this year was the very attentive service we received from the housekeeping staff. I admit that I often forget to leave a tip for housekeeping when I stay in any hotel, I'm usually absorbed in packing. This year I made sure I left something for these hard working and friendly housekeepers. I also loved the new countertop in "my" room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alamar Resort Inn? Share your experiences!