“Not that great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 115 hotels in Virginia Beach
ORLANDO
“Not that great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights in September 2011, rooms were very unusual in decor, a little outdated for 2011, room was clean and smelled fresh upon arrival. Very nice quick walk to beach and surrounding area. Parking is limited, we were told to park down the block as no spaces were available, OK but kind of strange. Pool looked pleasant but we did not use, I tend to agree with the previous review as the curtains are light. Overall, just fine , except for the decor.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Our rooms are decorated in Queen Anne style furnishings which is a current and popular
style of decor. We appreciate this guest's complements on our clean and fresh rooms. Providing a clean, quiet and family oriented environment is our top priority.

We have more than sufficient guest parking. In addition to our parking in front of the hotel, we, also,have a large parking lot to the left of the hotel which was explained to this guest at check in. This guest made no mention of the misunderstanding about the parking to us while they were here. We are always available and responsive to our guests when given the opportunity.

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fairfax, Va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My family and I decided last minute to spend the weekend at Va Beach, and since it was kind of last minute, we were really excited to have found a room at Alamar Inn. Unfortunately I got sick the day before we were supposed to check in, and I had to call and cancel our reservation. Their reservation policy as stated on their website (http://www.alamarresortinn.net/room.html) said they would charge a $30 administrative fee for any reservation canceled within 3 weeks. Ok, I get it, they are a smallish resort and have to compete with the big chains, etc., etc. So I called and left a message asking them to confirm my cancellation. Then I called again, and again, and again. I finally got a call back the day of the trip, and the woman I spoke to told me she would be charging the WHOLE AMOUNT for me having canceled within 3 weeks. Um, EXCUSE ME? She then proceeded to tell me that I should have asked what their policy was before booking. When I told her that I didn't think I needed to, since it was clearly spelled out on her website, she told me that it wasn't their actual website, that they have asked to have it taken down, and that the web host refused to take it down despite the fact that Alamar Inn isn't paying for it anymore. Oooookay. I suggested that this may be something that they should tell potential guests, since this is the first website that pops up on a google search, and that seems a little dishonest. She told me I should have asked if that was their real website! At this point, I asked to speak to a manager, and she told me that she was the owner of the hotel! I told her I would be freezing my card, and reporting her to AAA, since they are a AAA-rated hotel. She reiterated that this was the hotel policy, and there was nothing she could do about it. Even though she's the owner. Here's the thing: If she had just charged the administrative fee, we would have re-booked for next weekend, and she would have gotten our money anyway, PLUS the $30 fee. And if this place had been as good as it looks, we would have kept coming back, since my husband and I are loyal customers. Instead, this lady who is supposedly in the customer-service business just screwed herself out of a couple of really good customers, and the money she charged us, since I have a solid credit card company who actually DOES its best for its customers.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
This guest called to make a reservation after being referred to the Alamar by AAA where
our 3 week cancellation policy is clearly stated. After several in depth phones calls for information this guest called again and made a reservation. Then 18 hours prior to her reservation check-in time called to cancel. We told her that we would not be able to refund her deposit because our cancellation policy requires 3 weeks notice. We are a small family owned hotel with 22 rooms and suites and all cancellations are significant for us when we are not given adequate opportunity to re-book a room. If we called this guest 18 hours prior to her reservation to tell her that we no longer had a room for her, this guest would have very rightfully expected that we fulfill our obligation and agreement with her just as she is expected to fulfill hers.
This guest was referred to us by AAA and there was no discussion about our websites other than for us to reference them as additional resources that state our policy. This guest has completely misrepresented our comments. We can appreciate that she is frustrated that she had to cancel what would have been a very nice and very enjoyable time and that she was not able to fufill her reservation agreement.
We are fortunate to have a wonderful clientele, many of whom are business owners themserves, who completely understand the necessity for a cancellation policy and it being
enforced. We sincerely hope that upon furthur contemplation this guest will reconsider her hastily written review.
Rixeyville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Everything was as nice as we have come to expect from this hotel. Our room was clean, the beds are very comfortable and the staff helpful and attentive. Our family of three had a wonderful time and we'll be back next year.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

It was really hard to sleep with an outdoor lamp open all night in front of the room. The curtains are not dark enough. The room still have an old tapestry on the wall with old toilet and bath. We had problems with the shower and was first told they could not do anything. It took about 20 minutes before they finaly came back and gave us the piece missing in order for us to use the shower. Normaly, it would not matter much, but this is Virginia beach and when you come back from the beach you need to wash the sand in a shower, not bath!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
alamarresortinn, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
The curtains for this room are new and now that is has been brought to our attention through
this review that they may not provide enough coverage we will look into the matter.This guest did not know how to operate the shower so we went to their room and showed them how to operate it. There was not a missing part. Once they were shown how to use the shower they had no furthur issue with it. We are always available to our guests and always responsive when given the opportunity.
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Virginia Beach is one of our favorite place for vacation. We've stayed many times at Alamar. The hotel has everything to please my wife and I (well located, secure, clean, amenities, good price, etc.). The new owners, Tina and Ernie, are very nice people. The staff (maids and maintenance) help you enjoy your stay as well. That was great. For sure, we'll return in the future.

Room Tip: We like rooms upstairs
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Some pro's about the Alamar Resort Inn. Staff was very plesant and facility clean. Very close to anyting you may need. Suites were roomy, 3 adults and 3 children, no problem.
some Con's. Hotel is 2 blocks from beach front, altho a short walk crossing Pacific ave. proved to be a night-mare, (hang on to the young ones). If you plan on usuing the kitchen, you may want to take a few items, there is not much there. We had to go buy a spatchula. A/C unit is located in the closet of the bedroom, very noisey, also if ou like your room to be dark take eye shades, 70watts of metal halide lighting right in front of the windows. The game room is not as it appears on the web-site, the door was lock the entire week we were there and the only thing in there was a ping pong table, this room also is the access to one of the sun decks,
All in all it is was a ok hotel,but nothing to rave about. for the amount of $$$ spent for this resort, I will make sure the next time I will get ocean front.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
alamarresortinn, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
This guests complements about our wonderful staff and well cared for property are very much
appreciated. Our rooms and suites are unusually large and our guests appreciate the extra space and comfort. The Alamar is a 2 minute walk from our front door to the middle of the boardwalk and beach and there are convenient crosswalks for beach access. Our suites
are a 1 bedroom apartment with a queen bed in the master bedroom and a separate room
with a complete kitchen and television sofa area and the sofa becomes a second queen bed.
The kitchen has a full sized refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, toaster, coffeemaker and basic dishes and pots with a dining room table that sits six.
We are always available and responsive to our guests and if this guest had contacted us we would have quickly responded had we been given the opportunity to assist. It is our goal that each of our guests have as wonderful and memorable vacation as possible.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We have stayed at the Alamar for our family reunions for 4 years in a row and absolutely
love it. The rooms are spacious and immaculate and everyone loves the saltwater
pool. We get a combination of standard rooms and a two bedroom suite which has the
adjoining door so it is like a 2 bedroom apartment. There is a coin operated laundry on
the property which is so convenient especially for longer stays. Tina and Ernie, the owners,
are wonderful and they create a great environment that is quiet, clean and attractive and are very helpful and responsive.
They are continually improving things. Last year they added a fountain in from of the hotel
with colored lights at night and this year they stained the entire parking lot with a beautiful
design that is just lovely. I cannot say enough about the Alamar and highly recommend
the gem of a hotel

Room Tip: Tina and Ernie are very helpful.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Alamar Resort Inn? Share your experiences!