“Really enjoyed the stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #53 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Tappahannock, Virginia
“Really enjoyed the stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband booked a room here as a surprise for me to see the fireworks at Mt. Trashmore. The room was really nice, but the bathroom was just a tad too small. The view of Mt. Trashmore was excellent and our son, daughter and two grandkids as well as my husband and I were able to see the fireworks from our eighth floor room. The king sized bed was very comfortable and the housekeeping staff very friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Rude hotel manager who would not speak directly to us about the problems. Refrigerator made humming noise all night. Technician said "they all do" and they are unable to fix them. Hotel personnel said manager would call us, but she never did. Hotel is far from beach and not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
I apologize. Please be assured we take all comments serious and want all guests to enjoy their stay with us... please feel free to contact me

Mark Smith Gm
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Enjoyed our recent stay at the Crowne Plaza. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and so was lobby and pool area. Convenient location -- not close to beach, but close to shops, restaurants and Mt. Trashmore park. Beach was about a 10-15 min. drive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many times (because it's the hotel that the Virginia Beach Funny Bone uses for their comedians) and it's always been a great stay. They check me in early and the staff is super nice.

This time was just a little different.

Sean (the maintenance guy) was awesome and plugged my Chevy Volt into a wall socket that is not available to hotel patrons (unless they ask nicely and Sean helps them out). I was so stoked leaving to go to the show last night at 7:30pm that my car was almost fully charged. When I got back from the show at 10pm the charger and extension cord were gone. I figured someone from the hotel must've put it away so I'll just ask Sean about it in the morning.

I wake up today, go to the front desk, ask for Sean, Sean comes out, and I ask about my car charger's location. He comes back and says it's nowhere to be found. It must've been stolen. If someone had stolen it, they would've had to have climbed over a large wooden door and/or cinder block wall to have gotten the whole charger and extension cord. The hotel has no cameras that monitor the parking lots so therefore they are not liable for anything that happens out side of the building (unless it happens by a public exit - those have cameras). The Candlewood Suites (the hotel behind the Crowne Plaza) has no cameras on the shared parking lot either. Whatever. It looks like I'm hosed.

So then I go back to my room all sad and dejected because my charging cord has been stolen and I start googling the cost of a replacement cord. The cheapest replacement I found in the first 10 minutes of looking was for $370 so I decide to file a police report thinking I'm here till Sunday - might as well - just in case. As I'm googling a cheaper replacement charger, a really big, red, winged, carpenter ant (that's what Tom - the GM said it was) starts crawling up my wall. I catch it in a glass cup and take it to the front desk. That's where I met Tom - the General Manager.

He said they take bugs in rooms very seriously. This was a HUGE issue to him and the hotel. Personally, I didn't really care about the big, red, winged ant. I just wanted to let someone know that it was in my room so they were aware that they may have a bug issue.I told Tom that I had stayed here several times over the years and it's always been a wonderful experience. I also told him that this was the first time that it was not wonderful. I explained the situation with my cord being stolen last night and he was nice enough to take me to the area of the hotel where the cord had been plugged in yesterday and let me look around to see if I could find it. I couldn't. But it was really nice of him to let me go into the staff-only area and look for it. He didn't have to let me do that and I appreciate that he did.

The hotel is also moving me to the top floor (8th floor) so they can exterminate in my old ground floor room.

Room Tip: No cameras in the parking lots. If something happens to your car/belongings there - you have no reco...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank for your nice comments about our staff. Sorry you had to move room.s

Regarding your charger, My front office Manger informs me we moved it for safe keeping and it was returned you.

If this is not accurate please contact me.

Mark Smith GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Beautiful hotel. Wonderful staff. Clean. We came in late and The bar tender kindly stayed open past closing time for us. He was friendly and funny! Comfortable beds. The shower had intense water pressure! We didn't eat at the restaurant - but the option was there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank You for your comments. We look forward to serving you again

Mark Smith GM
Lexington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

A few of us decided to stay at the Crowne Plaza in Va. Beach during a girl’s weekend trip. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and planned to leave on Sunday. The front desk staff was pleasant and answered all of our questions. We were checked in fairly quickly. The elevators are pretty close to the front desk, and the unloading area is covered. Our room was on the 5th floor, and it had a view of a summer carnival. The rooms were very clean, as well as the bathroom. The bathtub was a little rough on the bottom, from a previous mat that must have been glued. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were nice (since I left mine at home) but didn't need mine after all. The room felt kind of small for 3 female adults and lots of luggage. Parking lot area is nice, but could use some extra lighting. The hotel offers a shuttle service between 5 pm and 10 pm. You just call when you are ready to be picked up. He showed us around the Central Park area, showing us the different food options. Carlos the shuttle driver was very nice and very professional. It was nice having him just a phone call away to pick us up when we were ready!

On Friday we were going to concert and the front desk called our cab, and they arrived on time. The cab driver was even nice enough to come back to get us after the concert. Our room was cleaned earlier in the day while we were at the beach, and it looked as if we had just arrived. The only thing, they will not touch your belongings if they are on the bed, so your bed will not get made. Which I completely understand, and the staff were nice enough to leave a note explaining the situation.

We did venture to the pool area which was nice and cozy. The water was freezing, and it was the beginning of June. I felt that the pool water did look discolored, by my friends were assuring me it was the chemicals. The fitness room was excellent and the equipment operated without any issues. The hotel does have two Sauna's one in the female locker room, and one in the men's. We did hang out in the Sauna for a few minutes, and it did heat up fairly fast. The locker room itself did have a horrible sewer smell. There is a small laundry room that is available for guests but we didn't use this. There was a bar and a restaurant located in the lobby, but we didn't visit either one. There is a patio area located behind the pool area, with chairs and tables. This was nice area to sit and relax during the late hours. Could use a little more lighting in the area. There is a lounging area inside as well, and the chairs are comfortable.

I will say that we were surprised to have an extra $60.00 fee that was applied to our credit card after we checked in. This was for the third person that was with us. When we booked the hotel, we were not aware, but it must have been located in the small print!!

I would stay at the Crowne Plaza again if I needed to. Only downfall to the hotel, it's so far away from the actual beach. If you don't mind the drive, having to pay for parking each time you visit the beach, then I would strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in room thats away from 264, or the motorcycles and loud cars will drive you crazy!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ridgeway, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I had a conference in Virginia Beach so I brought my wife along and we stayed at the Crown Plaza. We had a great stay! We were on the 8th floor which is set up as a quiet floor. We had an awesome room, very clean and modern, and the amenities were great. There is complimentary coffee in the foyer by the elevators every morning so you don't have to ride the elevator down and don't want to brew your own in the room. The free breakfast in the hotel restaurant is really nice. We didn't use the pool or exercise room but they looked great too. If your spending the night in the Virginia Beach area, treat yourself to the Crown Plaza!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center? Share your experiences!