Been here many times before, but they've just undergone a total make-over -- new lobby, restaurant, public spaces and rooms, with a much more clean and contemporary look. Plus, they've partnered with the Ammos restaurant right next door (or through the lobby walkway) - to offer a FULL hot breakfast buffet - it changed just a bit each day, but nearly always included cooked eggs (scrambled and fritata styles, on the days we were there), cooked baby red bliss potatoes, corned beef hash, pancakes with real strawberries in the sauce (or syrup if you prefer), biscuits and gravy, usually some kind of cut fruits, puddings, cereal, fresh coffee --copiously poured by a friendly wait staff. (Also, the hotel offered, a 10% discount coupon on this same restaurant for lunch or dinner - it's Greek style food at those times - but we went elsewhere, as the free breakfast usually held us over till dinner!)
Guest services was great - one day I scraped a finger outside - and was dripping tiny drops of blood all over the place - Charles - the guy at the desk that afternoon insisted on getting water, rubbing alcohol and bandages - and cleaned me right up.
And, when you consider they're right next to the fishing pier; close to the kids' amusement rides; on the main avenue by all the shops; and directly on the oceanfront (with balcony and oceanfront views, I believe from all rooms); right on the boardwalk next to the bike rentals; and they also offer a large, clean and warm, indoor adult and baby swim pool - with access to a "rooftop" outdoor lounge a couple of steps away... how can you go wrong?
We go in mid- to end of September, so although they still get in groups, and it can be full at times, it's mostly not terribly busy. I mention this as they probably could do with a bigger and better parking deck - but we had no problems while we were there.
The only other minor negative is that in our room, the bathroom door opened right onto the sink area (which is in a little nook alcove, outside of the toilet/shower/tub room itself) - and if you don't watch it, you can open the door and smack right into whoever is standing in front of the sink. We caught on fast and it only happened once.
It's by no means a 5-star motel -- but the room also comes with great views of the ocean and boardwalk below, from the large windows and balcony. Plus, there's a mini-fridge, microwave oven, coffee maker (tho also juice and fresh coffee & tea in the lobby, 24/7). They offer loyalty discounts to repeat users, AAA, AARP and other discounts - and for the money, you can't beat the price. We've been 4-5 times so far, and I'm sure we'll be back again.
Oh - and if you've never been, VA Beach is a very kid-friendly place. But of course - if you haven't been - you should be aware that VA is noisy -- the naval jets fly training exercises over the beach on most days. Makes it hard to have a conversation when they pass by - but this will be true virtually wherever you stay in VA Beach... plus, we enjoy watching the jets fly - kind of makes you proud to be an American. Just a heads up...
- Also Known As:
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Hotel Virginia Beach
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Hotel
- Sandcastle Resort Va Beach
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel located directly on the world famous Virginia Beach boardwalk. Our guest will enjoy world class service, easy access to the beach, and spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel offers several types of accommodations to choose from. We offer you amazing views from 146 rooms with private balconies, two queen beds, or one king bed. All of our rooms offer you microwave and refrigerator, while our suites will provide you with a kitchenette. No matter how you must stay connected we offer free local calls, long distance access, and wireless high speed internet access. In addition, we have an on-site fitness center that overlooks the beach, on site laundry facilities, and complimentary business center. We are happy to provide you with conference rooms and meeting space for up to 150 people is perfect for your personal or professional functions. The Virginia Beach oceanfront is host to some of the best festivals and events you will find on the east coast such as; American Music Festival, Patriotic Festival, East Coast Surfing Championship, Neptune Festival, North American Sand Soccer Championship and the Boardwalk Art Show. Other nearby attractions includes Naval Air Station Oceana, Fort Story, Damn Neck Naval Base, Cape Henry Light House, Virginia Aquarium and Marine Museum, Virginia Beach Fishing Pier, and Ruddee Inlet.After spending the day enjoying Virginia Beach or working come back and enjoy the comfortable and spacious lobby or enjoy a great dinner at Ammo's Greek Restaurant. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Best Western, Tingo and Otel so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.