“staff excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1211 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23541 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #12 of 115 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
“staff excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We came in 3 day earlier before our rental house was ready and booked 2 rooms. We arrived in a box van that did not fit in any parking space allowed for large vehicles, but a short walk the next block was ample parking provided by the hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and the helpful. The maids were exceptional in providing extra towels and other necessary items. Only drawback was the slow elevators. Fortunately we were on the 3rd floor near the exit and only had to use the stairs instead of waiting. All in all, great location and clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kay P, Director of Sales at Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. Your satisfaction is very important to us and your constructive comments regarding the elevator speed will be used to help us continue to work on improvement in this area. Thank you for choosing our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Bethesda MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

When you first drive up to this place, and enter the lobby and the hallways you will be thinking that is is a typical overpriced, bad beach hotel. But once you open the door you will be pleasantly surprised. The rooms are all redone and are very nice inside. The staff is friendly as well and the location is great. The place was always clean as well. I only saw a few downsides that prevent this place from receiving an excellent review. The first and worst is the elevators. They are VERY slow and it is a huge hassle. When it would get there it would be full. I am fine to walk 7 floor but not without my luggage. The hallways are not air conditioned and it is brutally hot, particularly when you are waiting 20 minutes for the elevator and I wish there were an outside pool. The breakfast was great and free. There is a store int he bottom of the hotel if you need beach supplies too. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay P, Director of Sales at Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We value the opinion of our guest and we apologize that you had a problem with the elevators during your stay. I apologize that the hallways are not air conditioned and your feedback will help us improve our property. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our hotel with our guest and hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.
WEST VIRGINIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here 6 nights 7/13 to 7/19. The staff at this hotel are the most friendly and hospitable people I have had the pleasure of meeting. We were we ever not greeted with a friendly word or hello by any of the staff either in the lobby, elevator, breakfast room, or room floor. The staff here work hard to keep this older hotel clean and in working order. Today our last day 7/19 there was a power outage that effected this hotel and a few others in the area around 3am when most people awoke they found the staff at this hotel occupying all of the floors or stairwells flashlights in hand offering assistance with bags down the stairs since the elevators were out or help explaining what was going on and where we were to go to get our continental breakfast since it could not be done at the hotel. To our surprise they made arrangements with a neighboring property for a full breakfast which was far more than we would have received at our hotel. While I did have the unfortunate opportunity during the power crisis to witness some grumpy people being rude to the staff the staff stood strong explaining the situation with the utmost professionalism ever. Kudos to them! With that said this hotel is older but impeccably clean, in a great location, and a good value for the money. We would definitely recommend this hotel as well as stay here in the future.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevators as people tend to be quite loud while waiting on them
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kay P, Director of Sales at Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about us at the Surfside Oceanfront Inn and Suites. We are very fortunate to have such exceptional staff. It was our pleasure to accommodate you while we experienced the power outage as our concerns are for the guest in the hotel. We look forward to your return visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent customer service all around! Great location, reasonable price. My only complaint would be the pool area. It was so muggy due to the unnecessary heat lamps. It's really nasty. Even 90+ degree temps outside felt way cooler than the pool room, but we were there for the beach anyways. Overall it was great though.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your comments and the feedback on the pool area. After receiving your comment, exhaust fans have been installed. We strive to achieve the “Best Customer Service” to our guest. We appreciate you recommending our hotel and hope to see you again when in Virginia Beach.
Grafton, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked a 10 day stay and loved every minute. The hotel was clean, including the pool. The only complaint I have is that the pool was inside. I prefer outdoor pools but that's my own personal preference. The staff was great, cleaned the room every day. They would knock and ask if we preferred they clean now or wait until we left. The breakfast was good, waffles, bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, and all the fixings. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It offers a great view of the ocean, friendly staff, it's an all around great stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are delighted you enjoyed your 10 day stay with us and met your expectations. It was our pleasure to accommodate you each morning with breakfast. A wonderful advantage is the beautiful view of the ocean while relaxing in your room or balcony. I’m excited that you will come visit in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The staff alone was worth the stay. Very professional, polite and efficient. The room was very clean as well. The hotel's location is good and is near several restaurants and main street stores. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
We are pleased you stayed with us and the staff looks forward to your return visit. Have a great summer.
BOSTON, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had a great time here. The staff is very friendly, i wish all hotels had front desk staff like this. Everything seemed clean to me. The breakfast was decent - waffles, bagels, cream cheese, cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee. I had a room on the 2nd floor, so I didn't have to use the elevators. The rooms are very quiet, I had a family with 3 kids staying next to me and I never heard a peep. I loved that the balconies have solid walls between them, so that you have total privacy. The balconies are a good size also, with 2 chairs and a table and you don't hear any A/C noise. The A/C control was on the wall, I couldn't find it at first, it just had a low or high control, but it kept my room cool. The beds were very comfortable as were the pillows. Internet access was wonderful, I could even pick it up on the boardwalk, there is no computer terminal for guests to use. The location is good, not too quiet, not too busy. A great restaurant/bar is the Calypso, a very short walk (2 buildings down?). There is a fridge and microwave in the room also. The ice machines are on the 6 -8th floor, I wish there was one on the 1st or 3rd. My room was ready when upon arrival around 1:30. I had problems often with the room key card, you have to slide it through slowly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Surfside Oceanfront Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!