“The Best week of my life........” 5 of 5 stars

Dolphin Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1705 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #89 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Charleston, West Virginia
“The Best week of my life........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Went down for my honeymoon and it was the best experience ever. My husband made sure I had a jacuzzi and the room was beautiful. There was a perfect view of the sunrise every morning and the staff was just as helpful as ever. I loved the bed. Wished I could have brought it home with me. It was so nice not to have to worry about not having anything to do for when we checked in the lady at the desk was very helpful. The parking wasn't a problem for us for there was plenty of room and there were several cars there. Granite it was a small parking place but if you know how to drive there shouldn't be a problem. I am definitely going to go back here for my 1st anniversary and everyone there after. John Micheal was especially nice and I have recommended this hotel to everyone I have already talked to. I can't wait to go back. My husband and I were almost tempted to turn around and go back after we got home last night. Thank you so much Dolphin Inn for making my special time so awesome.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Bad reviews stick out like a sore thumb....don't believe the bad things said in reviews about this hotel. Pros: It has been renovated with new carpet and furnishings, and the hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Small things that needed repair (toilet seat, burned out light bulb) were fixed immediately. We have stayed here in years past and returned this year to find the rooms clean and the staff friendly and attentive to our needs. Very few hotels in Virginia Beach oceanfront locations offer two separate rooms with a combination of an indoor heated pool, beachfront location without a parking lot separating you from the boardwalk, a full-sized oceanfront balcony, and the location right next to activities and the pier unless you want to pay more than twice as much per night. Cons: not all rooms have a safety bar to enter and exit from the jacuzzi, and there is nothing to hold on to. Ask for a handicapped room if you need this. A/C unit is loud when running and you are out on the balcony. The hotel needs to put in a different system, but in the meantime turn the A/C off if you want to spend time on the balcony. As for the elevator being slow, I was on vacation and not in a hurry......I would not change hotels or not choose this hotel because of a slow elevator !

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
BOSTON, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Just stayed here for the blue festival next door at the 17th street stage. I had a room on the end of the hotel away from the park, but I could hear the music good from my balcony, which was great. The staff at front desk were friendly. A cab to the airport cost $50, better off taking the carey shuttle $42. Airport to hotel is only 30 minutes. Hotel was sold out saturday night, but I never had to wait for the elevator. I was on the 4th floor, i get a lower floor so that I dont have to wait for the elevator. All of the rooms were clean and a good size, the bath is large, I dont know what another reviewer was talking about, on the other hand I wasn't in a wheel chair. Maid service - the first day she didn't come until 4, but I told her I didn't need service, the 2nd day she came earlier, but she only changed the trash bags and I think left some towels, pulled up the bedspread and that was that. She didn't take away any used towels on the floor and the ones that were hanging up. The jacuzzi was clean, I only used the shower. the desk called one day to see if I needed anything which I thought was nice. The freezer could have used a defrosting. I was not charged for the safe or any resort fees. I would not recommend this hotel for a single woman, you have to walk through the garage, which is well lit at night, but anyone could enter the hotel without being seen by the front desk people. One night I was the only one on the 4th floor and it gave me the creeps being the only one on the floor, 6 rooms per lower floor. Had a wonderful steak at Waterman's near 5th street and a good meal at little feet, near 28th street, both on the boardwalk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We traveled just after Labor Day but before the weekend started and had a fabulous stay. I was very leery after reading some negative reviews and did not know what to expect but was overly, pleasantly surprised. Our rooms (we had two due to family travel) were very clean, bright, smell-free, stain-free, smoke-free with perfect views of the ocean. The porch was baby safe too! We slept wonderfully; it was clean, quiet, the staff was very helpful and accomodating as we had out toddler with us. No, it is not the Grand Hyatt nor does it have a big lobby or any of that, but it IS a lovely, condo-like experience where you can enjoy the water views and boardwalk access. I have nothing bad to say about the Dolphin Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Wayne, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

My husband and I just spent 6 days in Virigina Beach and all were spent at the Dolphin Inn. We made reservations last minute and since we had never been to Virginia Beach, we did not know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. This is an older hotel, bedroom only had 2 doubles, but the carpet had just been cleaned and the rooms were clean. You couldn't ask for a better location or view of the Atlantic. We were on the 10th floor and the view was awesome. We were high enough above the boardwalk that the noise was not an issue. The staff was friendly and helpful. The price was very reasonable. Not the best hotel I have ever stayed at but not the worst either.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Where do I begin. First of all, I want to know which hotel all the people stayed at that said this hotel was "fine," "excellent," & "good value." After a very long 5 hr drive to Va Beach, my family & I were so excited to finally arrive & start our vac, only to be quickly disappointed at the sight of our accomodations for the next 4 days. It should have been a clue that things were gonna go downhill when the "lobby" of the hotel was literally a counter, a bench under a wall mounted (dirty) a/c, & a tiny bathroom. As others have mentioned, the parking lot is quite difficult to maneuver (very tiny & tight), & there is only 1 very slow elevator. When we finally arrived to our room & opened the door, I literally sat down & cried. Not sure where the renovations were that were mentioned on the website (maybe the nice bathrm countertop & "kitchen" backsplash). The couch upholstery was torn & so old I was afraid to sit on it b/c of what might be "hidden" in the fabric. The carpet was old & stained; bathrm shower curtain was mildewed (no excuse for that-shower liners are very cheap to replace). Beds were very uncomfortable & so close to the wall you couldn't make them up properly so sheets kept sliding off & exposing the mattress (don't even want to think what was on that). And the pool area was very dirty so we decided not to swim. You'd expect to pay $50 a nt for a place like this, NOT nearly $300!! I will be fair, though, & lists the positives too. A/C worked GREAT, the bedrm was separate from living rm, hotel is oceanfront & right on the boardwalk & close to many eating places & stores. VA beach was great & very clean, & they have a nice bike path separate from the boardwalk, so feel free to visit here, just take my advice & skip this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Pros:
- great location - it's right on the boardwalk and within walking distance of decent restaurants, the arcade and other entertainment
- good size room - separate bedroom, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub, kitchenette, living room with pull-out sofa, & private balcony
- friendly staff

Cons:
- outdated - needs a facelift and scrubbing
- ridiculously slow elevator which was on the mend on our checkout day - makes a difference when you need to haul your luggage down 7 floors
- maid service - they fixed the beds and wiped the counters; the floors didn't look like they were cleaned; used towels taken away but not all of them replaced
- sad pillows

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dolphin Inn? Share your experiences!