“October in Virginia Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Dolphin Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1705 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #90 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Paw Paw, West Virginia
“October in Virginia Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We return to Virginia Beach every October and stay at the Dolphin Inn. It is a good deal for the price. We have the suite with a bedroom, Fridge - Microwave - sink - and dishes. All the rooms look over the ocean with a balcony. Ask for a higher floor so you can see over the lights on the boardwalk. The hotel is just about in the heart of everything. We look forward to our trip every year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The sofas are dirty, have torn worn places on them, our bathroom was ok except for peeling paint on the door, our bedroom ceiling had a huge black mold/dirt on it the hallways had filthy carpet, there is trash all around the exit door to the beach, dirty socks, liquor bottles, the overall impression is very disgusting. Went for a soccer tourney...wil never ever return. Gross!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Waynesboro, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before it's been a few years but we were excited to go back. It was a lot like we remembered there are some cosmetic things but it looked like previous guest had a party of something we did not expect the hotel to buy all new furniture though. Our room was clean and that is the most important thing to us. We have stayed in pretty much all the hotels between 9-16 streets minus the boardwalk of course and this is a nice properly. The pool is small we did forget that part but the kids still had fun. I would recommend this hotel.

Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Dolphin Hotel again this year for my sister's birthday. We requested a corner room which has a front and back balcony. This gives you the luxury of looking at the water or the main street. The staff were very friendly as usual but we were unable to use the front balcony as much as we wanted due to other guest standing and sitting in the walkway to smoke or watch the parade. We found this very disruptive. We were told upon our departure that if we had call the front desk they would have taken care of this problem. We would most differently stay here again. The room was clean and comfortable

Room Tip: corner rooms are sunny with two balconies
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I came down to virginia beach for the first time to see my daughter and I arrived in the room with me and my mom and best friend. well! I pulled the sheets back and they were dirty . I called the office and told them . Then they came and changed the bedding on both beds. Those were also stained . Smh! This was suppose to be a fun trip and it totally turned out to be a night mare! the only good was I got to see my daughter really.

SO I WOKE UP ON THE DAY OFF CHECK OUT AND THERE WAS WELPS AND BITES ALL OVER MY BODY ! it was SO GROSS MY BEST FRIEND SAID IT LOOKED LIKE BED BUGS. SHE GOOGLED IT AND THOSE THINGS LOOK GROSS . MY MOM CALLED THE FRONT DESK WHILE I CALLED 911 for help and care . ( At that moment I wanted to sue them so bad. SO THE EMT confermed that IT WAS BED BUGS GROSS. AT THAT TIME A TERMINATOR WAS IN THE ROOM MY MOM WAS YELLING MY BF WAS TO AGRUEING AND IM STANDING THERE ITCHING REALLY BAD . THE HOTEL DENIED IT FOR A SECOND BUT AS SOON. AS THEY PULLED THE BED UP THERE WAS A LIVE ONE AND THE GUY STEPPED ON IT. THEN THE OTHER MATRESS GOT LIFTED UP AN THERE WAS EVEN MORE THERE. THE MAID SAID IT WAS BED BUGS . I USED TWEEZERS AND PUT THE BUG INTO A SANDWITCH BAGGY THAT we brought along .

It was a 5 hour drive back home once we got home we put all of our luggage n to moms extra veichcal . Luckily it's cold out so if there was any eggs on the stuff they'd freeze .that's what google said.
Then a day later after rest I went to the hospital with the dead bug in the baggy. I got seen right awAy with no waiting . I guess they thought it was serious . I told them about the hotel and that this was the bug that bit me and that I thought it was a bed bug. So they said it was good that I brought the bug that nastfully bit me all over. The doctor sent the bug off for testing . Later I found out it was confermed a bed bug and that the bug also

SO THEN EVERY SINGLE THING THAT WE BROUGHT HAD TO BE WASHED AT A LAUNDRY MAT IT WAS SOO EXPENSIVE .

• Stayed June 2012
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've stayed in several VB hotels over the years (Days Inn, Marriott, Sheraton, Quality Inn) - this is definitely not the fanciest of places, but it was completely workable for the reason we went went to the beach: to sit and watch the ocean and boardwalk area from the balcony.

Parking: I can see how this would be tight during busy season. We were there midweek and had no problem parking our big SUV right outside the room on the second level. I'd say the hotel was 3/4 full at the time.

Lobby: It's a motel type lobby that is really just a check in area. The front desk staff (I believe her name was Ana?) was very nice. Speedy check in, got a low floor as requested.

Room: We were in room 205, which is a double double with a living area and a galley "snack area". When you walk in, there is a bedroom to the left with the two double beds and a door to close that room off. That room has it's own TV. But oddly, there were no closets in the place.

Then in the hallway area is the entrance to the bathroom and a bar area that has a sink, a microwave and a small fridge. Provided were four settings: plates, bowls, cups, mugs and silverware. They provide a small bottle of dishsoap and a coffee machine with typical hotel type coffee packets.

The bathroom was kind of dark and it has a very strange window into the living room that has some kind of vinyl beach scene covering it. The bathtub, as reported in other reviews, had definitely seen better days. I probably wouldn't have used it as a jacuzzi, but for showering it was fine.

The living area has a sectional type sofa that as others have said was a bit stained in one place. There was a small dining type table but only three total chairs (two at the table and then the desk chair). The TV is not the newest style but it had a good expanded cable selection (with spanish channels for anyone who might care about that). Here is my one major complaint: the sofa bed is ridiculous. Truly. No way could a grown up person sleep on that comfortably. We pulled the mattress off and put it on the ground, and luckily had our own sheet and blanket with us so we could use the hotel provided sheet/blanket as an extra buffer between the coils of the mattress. It was still ridiculously uncomfortable. I am not kidding. Had I known, I would have brought our air mattress because there was plenty of space to use it.

Other than that, the view is awesome. It is right next to the 17th street park though so if there is an event taking place be prepared for noise. The balcony view was perfectly unobstructed and enough room for 3 people to be out there comfortably. It's about a two minute walk to a subway, a 7-11, several pizza/burger type joints and the fishing pier.

It probably wasn't the cleanest of places - there were some doors/walls that had some smudges that could have easily been wiped off if housekeeping put in the effort, but I can forgive stains and chipped furniture. It's a beach hotel with a lot of turnover, things are going to get roughed up a bit.

We paid $110 for midweek after labor day. If I had paid $400 for this place I probably would have been disappointed. But for what I paid, I feel I got a decent stay. I'd stay there again if I could get that price and was traveling as four people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dolphin Inn? Share your experiences!