“A great time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 114 hotels in Virginia Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Our family has never been to Virginia beach. We planned our trip a week before our vacation. We looked at several places and read a lot of reviews. We decided to stay at ocean keys and we were very pleased. We spoke with Patricia from the rental agencie and she was very professional and answered all of my questions. I requested a room with a view of the ocean and balcony and that's exactly what we got. When we arrived at the resort, parking was very convenient and several spots are available. Check in is at 3:00 and we arrived an hour earlier which was fine since our room was ready. The front desk staff were very friendly, always saying hello and smiling. Finding luggage carts was easy and they have several of them. Our room was on the 7th floor and was clean and spacious enough for the three of us. We never used the pool, hungout on the beach instead nor did we eat at the pizza place located in the resort. I would go back to this resort.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your vacation with us and mentioned our beautiful Resort, wonderful staff, especially our Vacation Consultant, Patricia. I thank you again for choosing VSA Resorts and we look forward to your family’s return in the near future.

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Pros:
Unit was clean
Bathroom was a good size
Some Friendly and Helpful Staff
Across the street from the boardwalk and Seafood Rest.

Cons:
No room between the pull-out bed and the table
The bathroom is practically located in the kitchen -- not sure who thought of that genius idea
Not very spacious room due to the layout
Hotel seems outdated
Parking garage has super narrow spots
Instead of being able to ask for new linens, you have to give back your old ones first
No housekeeping
Pool and jacuzzi in the lobby
Walls between room to thin
You have to take your own trash out

Not sure that I'd come back here.
I suspect that the resort gets the #2 rating because the time share owners go on the trip advisor and post great reviews. I would stay at the Hilton Hotel the next time I go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I apologize that our accommodations and sustainability measures did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your feedback.
Charles Town, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for a 3 night stay and we were placed by the vending machines with a view out the back of the hotel. I asked at the front desk if we could have a room on the ocean side and we were given a room on the ocean side that was available probably because it was next to the trash room. It was better then our original room so we stuck with it.

Upon entering the room I went to the restroom and immediately noticed the toilet had not been cleaned. There was dried urine all over it. I called down to the front desk and after about an hour someone came and cleaned it.

The pool is very small. For us that's fine because we go to the beach to go to the beach.

Overall, this is a good place to stay with your family because it has a cooktop, microwave and refrigerator. This way you don't have to eat out for all of your meals. A pull out bed for the kids and a king size bed for mom and dad.

I really had hoped our return trip would have been as good as our first. I was just left grossed out by the fact that something so obvious as the toilet hadn't been cleaned. It made me wonder what else wasn't clean.

On a side note, I would have thought management would have contacted us to apologize for the unclean bathroom. We may stay at ocean key next year, but I'll be exploring other options...something I didn't even consider for this years trip.

• Stayed August 2013
I apologize that the Resort did not meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback, as it helps us constantly improve our guest’s experience.
Guilderland, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was very pleased with Luis, the van driver. He was courteous, helpful, friendly, considerate and a cautious driver. I went on several trips within the area and was always happy to see his smiling face and knew I would be safe.

Accommodations were good, with problems such as no water for an extended period of time on Thursday and also on Friday for a shorter period. Cleaning of the pool should be done at night and not during the day. Internet service was sporadic. I was surprised that cleaning of the unit was not done once in midweek as promised by RCI. Towels and sheets were available for exchange though.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us and for allowing us to address it during your visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the our van excursions and appreciate your mentioning Luis’ courteous service.
chesterfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went the weeks of July 6, and July 27. We love this resort, is very clean, we love the pool, hot tub,and the activities they have for every day. Also the staff is very helpful. The Manager is very concerned and he does make sure we feel like at home. We recommend this resort 100%. We are looking forward to go back.

The Canabal Family from Midlothian, Virginia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We take pride in our customer experiences at the Ocean Key Resort and we look forward to your next vacation in Virginia Beach with VSA Resorts.
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

If this is the top rated resort in Va Beach on Trip Advisor then I wonder who is rating these places. The room was adequate but shabby. The lobby and pool area are small. The staff is less than courteous and don't seem to know what is going on. Not located that well in the resort area. Find another place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I apologize that the Resort did not meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback, as it helps to improve our guest’s experience with us.
Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have stayed here each summer for 9 years and have always found the staff and the resort to be wonderful, responsive, etc.... We had a bike stolen about 5 years ago when the bike rack was on the bottom floor of the garage; chalked it up to bad luck and was pleased when the bike rack was moved to the second floor, near the smoking section, where it used to be (we ride at 6 AM, so using the rack in the Activity Center is not an option since it doesn't open until 9 AM). No issues for a few years now, but yesterday two of our bikes were stolen between 8 AM and 5 PM. They were locked, the lock was gone, too. The front desk supervisor was very sympathetic, said it had not happend the whole 8 months she worked there, helped us call the police, etc... Police told us it was an "epidemic" and that a special task force has been established for this. My husband was told this AM by another worker that "at least 6 bikes have been stolen this past week". We were surprised that there was not at least a sign at the bike rack by staff alerting guests to this, that a camera was not in place (or a sign threatening a hidden camera), or that the Activity Center bike rack access hours were not expanded. This is the first lapse of customer service I have ever experienced with the resort. I have no intention of "trashing" OCR by this post, but know of no other way to warn other guests of this issue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am very sorry you experienced this and thank you for your feedback. We did change the hours of access to the Activity Center bike rack to 7am-9pm earlier this year and I apologize that you were not aware of this change. I hope that you’ll still decide to stay with us next year.

Been to Ocean Key Resort? Share your experiences!