“Not as good as last year.” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Key Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   424 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #22 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Not as good as last year.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for a 3 night stay and we were placed by the vending machines with a view out the back of the hotel. I asked at the front desk if we could have a room on the ocean side and we were given a room on the ocean side that was available probably because it was next to the trash room. It was better then our original room so we stuck with it.

Upon entering the room I went to the restroom and immediately noticed the toilet had not been cleaned. There was dried urine all over it. I called down to the front desk and after about an hour someone came and cleaned it.

The pool is very small. For us that's fine because we go to the beach to go to the beach.

Overall, this is a good place to stay with your family because it has a cooktop, microwave and refrigerator. This way you don't have to eat out for all of your meals. A pull out bed for the kids and a king size bed for mom and dad.

I really had hoped our return trip would have been as good as our first. I was just left grossed out by the fact that something so obvious as the toilet hadn't been cleaned. It made me wonder what else wasn't clean.

On a side note, I would have thought management would have contacted us to apologize for the unclean bathroom. We may stay at ocean key next year, but I'll be exploring other options...something I didn't even consider for this years trip.

• Stayed August 2013
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I apologize that the Resort did not meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback, as it helps us constantly improve our guest’s experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Guilderland, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was very pleased with Luis, the van driver. He was courteous, helpful, friendly, considerate and a cautious driver. I went on several trips within the area and was always happy to see his smiling face and knew I would be safe.

Accommodations were good, with problems such as no water for an extended period of time on Thursday and also on Friday for a shorter period. Cleaning of the pool should be done at night and not during the day. Internet service was sporadic. I was surprised that cleaning of the unit was not done once in midweek as promised by RCI. Towels and sheets were available for exchange though.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us and for allowing us to address it during your visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the our van excursions and appreciate your mentioning Luis’ courteous service.
chesterfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went the weeks of July 6, and July 27. We love this resort, is very clean, we love the pool, hot tub,and the activities they have for every day. Also the staff is very helpful. The Manager is very concerned and he does make sure we feel like at home. We recommend this resort 100%. We are looking forward to go back.

The Canabal Family from Midlothian, Virginia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We take pride in our customer experiences at the Ocean Key Resort and we look forward to your next vacation in Virginia Beach with VSA Resorts.
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

If this is the top rated resort in Va Beach on Trip Advisor then I wonder who is rating these places. The room was adequate but shabby. The lobby and pool area are small. The staff is less than courteous and don't seem to know what is going on. Not located that well in the resort area. Find another place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I apologize that the Resort did not meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback, as it helps to improve our guest’s experience with us.
Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have stayed here each summer for 9 years and have always found the staff and the resort to be wonderful, responsive, etc.... We had a bike stolen about 5 years ago when the bike rack was on the bottom floor of the garage; chalked it up to bad luck and was pleased when the bike rack was moved to the second floor, near the smoking section, where it used to be (we ride at 6 AM, so using the rack in the Activity Center is not an option since it doesn't open until 9 AM). No issues for a few years now, but yesterday two of our bikes were stolen between 8 AM and 5 PM. They were locked, the lock was gone, too. The front desk supervisor was very sympathetic, said it had not happend the whole 8 months she worked there, helped us call the police, etc... Police told us it was an "epidemic" and that a special task force has been established for this. My husband was told this AM by another worker that "at least 6 bikes have been stolen this past week". We were surprised that there was not at least a sign at the bike rack by staff alerting guests to this, that a camera was not in place (or a sign threatening a hidden camera), or that the Activity Center bike rack access hours were not expanded. This is the first lapse of customer service I have ever experienced with the resort. I have no intention of "trashing" OCR by this post, but know of no other way to warn other guests of this issue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am very sorry you experienced this and thank you for your feedback. We did change the hours of access to the Activity Center bike rack to 7am-9pm earlier this year and I apologize that you were not aware of this change. I hope that you’ll still decide to stay with us next year.
Ste-Julie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Checked in July 27th and my family of four simply and loved this place. We were situated on the 6th floor (620), the room worked out well for the four of us. Master bed is very comfortable. Kitchen very useful. It is situated right next to the Rudee Inlet for jet-ski lovers like me with my teens and boat rentals or other activities. Just cross the street to get to the beach...no problem at all. Overall, a great place to stay while in VA beach. Everyone in this resort is very polite and helpful.Thanks to Olena for explaination at check-in and to Najm at check-out very early in the morning (with a smile)....both very polite.

Special thanks to the General manager Bill Mitchell for his help!

Readers; do not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us, and appreciate your mentioning Olena, Najm, and myself.
Clarksville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is our second year in a row that our family of 4 has stayed at the Ocean Key Resort. We can't say enough about how great of a time we had and how we love the property. The location is ideal, and Bill Mitchell, general manager, and the entire staff go out of their way to ensure that you vacation is a memorable experience. We'll be back again next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and mentioned our beautiful facility and wonderful staff. I thank you again for choosing VSA Resorts and we look forward to your family’s return next year.

Been to Ocean Key Resort? Share your experiences!