“Vacation stay in Virginia” 5 of 5 stars

Ocean Key Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   424 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #17 of 115 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Milford, Massachusetts
“Vacation stay in Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the Resort for Thanksgiving week. The Resort staff were all professional and treated my wife and the family in a pleasant way. They even gave a parking pass for our daughter and our grandchildren so that they could visit and use the pool and the recreational room with us. The pool at times was cold but once peolpe were in it it got warmer. Part of the problem is that the pool is not fully enclosed and when people open the outside door it gets cold getting out of the pool and going back to your room. The Recreational room had air hockey and pool for $1a game. They also had other games that varied in price to play. They had a computer that you could use and an exercise area.they also had a childrens play room and activities to involve them which is a bonus. I liked the fact that we could walk the boardwalk and the beach. The restaurant in the resort was fine for pizza and meals for our grandchildren but they are not open for breakfast which means you either have to make breakfast in your room or go to a place on the boardwalk. This hurts especially when you are on vacation and do not want to go far with the family.The rooms though did supply all the essentials to cook . The restaurant across the street from the resort has wonderful food and it well worth it . It is a little pricey and i do not recommmend it with kids. The cable in the room had all the sports channels and channels for the children. I agree with a comment that another reviewer said when he said you could hear the person next door due to paper thin walls. . This is the only bad thing about the room. The view We had on the 8th floor was wonderful especially overlooking the ocean. The trip is also worth seeing the X-Mas lights on the beach. I would recommend satying there and at their other Resorts they own. Staff are the best and alway helpful. Bill Mitchell does a wonderful job with his staff to make everyone feel at home.

Room Tip: I would recommend that if you stay there get a room that is on the higher floors so that you can loo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our amenities. Thank you for taking the time to include our staff in your feedback. VSA Resorts looks forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Spring City, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had what appeared to be a one bedroom "lock-off" unit. The walls between the units were paper thin as I could hear every word from the neighbors. The wifi which was supposed to be resort-wide was haphazard at best. The only place there was a consistent connection was in the lobby. Those are the only negatives I had. The staff, from the front desk to the maids to the pool attendant were the friendliest and most hospitable I've met in 16 years of time-sharing. This resort is on the southern end of VA Beach and seemed a little quiet altho the whole area was quiet the week we were there (Nov 10-16 2012). Indoor pool and hot tub, activity area, fitness room and adjoining restaurant were pluses. Overall, I would recommend this resort. Just try to ignore the people in the next room!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for choosing Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our team. Thank you for taking the time to include our staff in your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
West Drayton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here during October and everything about the place was first rate. The staff were magnificent and all fell in love with our English accents, they can't do enough for you and that even includes the manager Bill Mitchell who looked after a package for me that had been sent by a friend over a week before our arrival.....Bill you are a star.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your fabulous review about our resort and our staff. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay and it was my pleasure and duty to secure your package for you. We look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future at the Ocean Key Resort.
DC Metro Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Ocean Key is a nice clean hotel comparable to many others in Va Beach. The kitchenette was especially well stocked with all sorts of utensils and cooking devices. However, there's nothing to really distinguish this hotel from many others, and certainly nothing that justifies the $100 price differential during the peak season. Also consider that, unlike other hotels, there's no complimentary breakfast, and the hotel is not on the beach (although only a short block away). The indoor pool is over chlorinated, with the chlorine smell permeating the lobby and the elevator. The gym was small, and they charge a minimum of $3 if you want to use the printer. The hotel is on the south end of town, we prefer the north end.

I could see staying there again, but don't expect something special in keeping with its #1 rating on TripAdvisor. It's an okay place, but the #1 rating is not justified.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I do apologize that we didn’t meet your expectations and hope will give us another opportunity in the future.
shellsburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here Oct.13-20, 2012. Our 1-bedroom condo was very small with a limited kitchen. The walls were paper thin and the carpet was in need of replacement. The water pressure was minimal in the shower. My wife had an allergic reaction to something in the first room but we were provided another immediately. This location is excellent and so is the staff--very helpful and courteous. The resort provides free shuttles to some area points of interest. Nonetheless, we were very disappointed after such previous good ratings on this site.

Room Tip: Try to get one witha balcony. None of the other rooms have windows that open.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am apologize that we fell short in meeting some of your expectations and hope will give us another opportunity in the future.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Ocean Key Resort the week of October 13th 2012. I booked this hotel through RCI and was unsure of the room situation as RCI tells you they have no control over which room you get. When i called the hotel they said they assign rooms at time of check in. I had asked for an oceanview room before i got there and was told that it would be a 30 dollar a day upgrade for that. I declined that when i got there because it would be another 180 dollars which i felt was a lot for an oceanview that is across the street. I was booked into a "marina view" room on the backside of the building. The rooms are great in this resort, very clean, up to date and great comfortable beds but unfortunately the marina views rooms also overlook a very busy highway directly below your balcony and you can't hardly hear yourself think when on the balcony. So i would highly suggest if you stay there ask for a room on the beach side oceanview or a south facing room. All other aspects of our stay get very high marks. Great friendly people, very clean resort and very good food right on site. awesome pizza. Also directly across the street is Watermans, problably the best restaurant in VB. superb services. The beach access is very easy also and dtirectly in front. I want to give special thanks to Christina Collins who made the whole stay the best. She was one of the most polite and caring resort employees i have ever met. Sometimes the people you deal with on your travels cn make all the difference. She's awesome.

Room Tip: front facing beach or south view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at Ocean Key Resort. We recognize the fact that you have a choice in where you vacation and we appreciate you making VSA Resorts your choice. Thank you for taking the time to include our amenities, restaurant and staff especially Cristina. We look forward to your future stay with us.
Smithfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I recently stayed at Ocean Key Resort I had a wonderful visit. The staff was great; very, respectful and courteous. The rooms were nice and clean. Plenty of towels, pillows and bed linen. The bed was HUGE; I also liked the kissing Swans that were made out of towels on my bed. I took advantaged of all the amenities that were made available to me swimming pool, game room, workout room, balcony and so much more. They even have a restaurant on site that will deliver to your room. I order a pizza and sub; honesty by the time I went downstairs to get a soda the delivery guy was bringing my food. I loved this stay and I plan on returning soon.

Room Tip: "you want to stay at the best hotel on the Ocean Front stay at Ocean Key Resort"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our amenities and our restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to include our staff in your feedback. VSA Resorts looks forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Been to Ocean Key Resort? Share your experiences!