“Not a Hilton, but a nice basic basic resort with great staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Ocean Key Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   424 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451   |
Ranked #22 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Not a Hilton, but a nice basic basic resort with great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I really have to wonder about the previous review. A Hilton owner exchanges into a non-Hilton resort and compares it to such. The reviewer also has the expectation to be upgraded to a unit with a balcony without paying the upgrade fee. I guess their Hilton ownership gives them a sense of entitlement. The reviewer was disappointed. Perhaps her expectations would have been met if she had stayed at the Hilton in VA Beach. Ocean Key shouldn't be dinged for the choice that the reviewer made. Ocean Key does not tout itself as a Hilton-type property.

We checked in on Friday, 6/8 and stayed through 6/10. Yes, these units are small. However, I have stayed at most of the timeshare resorts in Virginia Beach over the years and small units are typical. No, I wouldn't want to put four into one of these units, but that could be said for just about any timeshare or hotel that I have stayed in at VA Beach.

The unit was very clean and well-equipped. We were in a 5th floor unit. Yes, I chose to use the steps up and down (except for check-in/check-out) because the two elevators usually required wait times. Again, this is something I have experienced at most timeshares and hotels in VA Beach.

While across the street from the beach, it is located on the corner with a traffic light and cross-walk and we never had a problem crossing. As soon as you crossed, you were on the boardwalk within a few steps and at a beach access.

Any staff that I encountered during my stay, were always nice and friendly, and spoke if you passed them.

There is no cleaning service during the week; however, towels and linens can be changed out 9:00 am - 9:00 pm. A vacuum is provided in the unit.

There is a small pool and hot tub located in the lobby. There is on-site parking and most of it is covered. We never had a problem finding a parking space. We did order take-out from the on-site restaurant. It was okay, but I would probably never eat there again. The food was mediocre and there are just too many other options within walking distance of the resort.

I would happily return to Ocean Key in the future.

Room Tip: There are limited rooms with balconies. The balconies are very small with two chairs and small table...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Ocean Key Resort. We look forward to your next visit to Virginia Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort from 6/1 until 6/8 as an exchange through RCI for a one-bedroom suite. The unit itself was rather small and quite dark. The furniture was rather uncomfortable but the TV's were large and mounted on the wall. The lighting was terrible and the only daylight was from the small window in the bedroom. There was no balcony and the room did not face the ocean, it faced the parking lot. When we asked about an ocean view room, we were told we could upgrade for $50/night. That would have cost more than our entire exchange fee for the week.

There is no usual mid-week cleaning. If you wanted clean linens you had to bring them to housekeeping and exchange them and then make the bed yourself. Not something I wish to do while on vacation! The elevators were painfully slow. Sometimes you had to wait a full five minutes or more. It's not like there are dozens of floors; they just move really sloooooooow. They did provide Wi-Fi, however, you had to login every few minutes as it kept switching back to 3G on my phone and my husbands as well. The guests on our floor were very noisy and rowdy, not what I expect from a time-share.

Lest you think it was all bad, the bed was comfortable and the unit was well stocked with dishes, pans, cooking utensils, etc. The bathroom had a hair dryer and soap and shampoo in containers on the wall. While there was no mid-week cleaning, it was clean when we arrived. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The resort is located across the street from the beach and there are a lot of good restaurants around (just don't go to the one in the lobby, Roma's). See my separate review of them.

Oh, and one more thing - they do not have any luggage racks in the whole place. How can you operate a hotel/time-share resort without luggage racks? I had to use two of the kitchen chairs to unload my suitcase. Annoying. All in all a disappointment. Maybe my standards as a Hilton time-share owner are too high.

Room Tip: Be willing to pay additional money for a room with light (and a view).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations, as it did not meet my expectations either. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us an providing feedback for our improvement.
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

What a pleasant surpise. The place was outstanding. Excellent customer service. Newly renovated and nicely decorated. The location was great for the Patriotic Festival. The management (Moura) was great in fulfilling all our requests

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent vacation at the Ocean Key Resort. Maura and I especially appreciate your acknowledgment of her dedication and hard work..
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

In town for the funeral of my beloved Aunt. After the sudden travel, I arrived at the Ocean Key Resort at evening time. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The pool is upfront where you're checking in so there's an overwhelming smell of chlorine immediately as you enter. But the smell is slightly cut by the aroma of Italian food cooking to the attached restaurant next door. We'll talk about the food later. I hear they have planned activities throughout although, I have no idea what they are; I spent all of my time with family helping plan the funeral.

Upstairs finally, the suite is spacious and inviting. The living room dining area combo was brightly fit. 32" TV front and center. The kitchen was very well stocked with the right kitchen necessities; even a blender! Yippee; since I was driving my breakfast every day. I was never disappointed when needing anything in the kitchen. Bathroom was extremely clean, also well stocked with towels, shampoo, liquid soap for the shower and sink; hair dryer. There was no fear of falling in the toilet in the middle of the night. It was funny because it was the first thing I noticed! It was the size of a pea (no pun intended)!
Ahh, the bedroom! Big room, big bed, big mounted TV, I likey!

Reasonable storage, safe, vacuum, ironing board all in one place. Remember I said "aah the bedroom" Keeping in mind I only needed this place to sleep. I'm sharing this rather lovely space with my mom and dad; they had the master bed (dammit) I had the sofa-bed (#bedfromhell) My only complaints are the beds. They're the worst! The second night I slept on the couch instead (#muchbetter). Dad and I wound up switching because their bed was too mooshy and hurt his back. Please for the love of God do something about the beds; they're the most important thing.

You have access to clean linen daily. Since this is a vacation condo, you supply yourself with your own food, cleaning supplies and trash and food baggies.
All of this is just half a block away from the beach. You can see the ocean from the room. I also had a great view of the cove and marina.

NOW THE RESTAURANT! I spent only one evening in the room and I spent it with some great Italian food (#itsreallyreallygood). Everything was amazing, even the fried cheese. Overall rating, thumbs almost up (#tooexpensive). I spent over $16 bucks ordering fried cheese and a Stromboli. Sorry I don't remember the name, but you won't miss it. That's it kids!

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the seaside.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
We offer our condolences to your family for your loss and appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at the resort as well as our restaurant, Roma’s NY Pizza..
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Mary and Lisa showed the amazing hospitality & support others in the hotel/resort industry should emulate! Invited by the USO to perform the National Anthem prior to Miranda Lambert's concert (2012 Patriotic Festival), I was looking for valet parking close to the venue. Their gracious support enabled me to park as a guest for the day and use their facilities to change into my uniform and prepare for my performance. Additionally, the kind security officer provided additional peace of mind to ensure only personnel with parking passes used the garage and kept my valuables safe. Many thanks, again, to the staff as their support helped me perform one of my best Anthems in 21+ years!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Ocean Key Resort and for specifically mentioning, Mary and Lisa! I appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to your next vacation with VSA Resorts.
Barboursville, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Our week at the beach was OK because the weather was awful which is not the fault of the hotel. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and courteous. We found it to be clean and well kept up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
We truly appreciate your business and look forward to your next vacation with us.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I vacation here at Ocean Key annually, and this year I enjoyed my stay so much more. There have been some very positive additions and renovations. The beach is so conveniently accessible across the street, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance. One day it was very windy and the sand on the beach was blowing, so it was very nice to have an alternative of the roof top sun deck at Ocean Key. The wine and cheese reception on the rooftop patio was another great addition. I mingled and met some really nice people from various parts of the country.The patio furnishings are gorgeous and comfortable. The Ocean Key staff are just wonderful, especially Betsy the Activities Coordinator. They are all so helpful and courteous, and willing to make your stay a comfortable one. I particularly like to travel in early May or Fall when it's not so occupied with children, since it is a family resort. I really enjoy sitting on the balcony and enjoying my morning coffee, and watching the ocean waves and sunrise. It's simply a gorgeous view. The sunset was equally as beautiful. It was just a wonderful week of vacation. I do wish check out time was not so early. I highly recommend it for the entire family.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms overlook Atlantic Avenue and the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Betsy and I appreciate your review of the Ocean Key Resort and your positive feedback. We look forward to your next vacation with VSA Resorts.

Been to Ocean Key Resort? Share your experiences!