“Worth every penny!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 19 Atlantic Hotel

You added 19 Atlantic Hotel to your Saves list
19 Atlantic Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   203 19th St., Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (Northeast Virginia Beach)   |
Ranked #67 of 114 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“Worth every penny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the Fourth of July weekend. We would absolutely stay here again. Aside from the air conditioning going out in the middle of the night twice, this hotel was worth every penny. I actually didn't know what to expect because of the incredible prices, but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel had a very cool retro feel to it that made it one of the most unique places I've ever stayed in. Like everyone has said, the rooms are tiny, but we didn't need a huge room. The bathroom was huge but didnt have any counterspace to put our toiletry bags on, but we got used to it. The staff was very nice and friendly and even comped us one night because of the air conditioning problem. From what I understood, there is one room that has a "master control," so if the people staying in that room shut their air off, 10 other rooms will go without air. So just ask them to be placed in a room that has no relation to the master control. Oh, and like others have said, make sure you ask for a window room. Other cool things about the hotel were the rooftop patio, free wifi, free coffee in the morning, exploring the hallway maze, the flatscreen tv's, etc. All in all, you couldn't beat the location and price. It's right smack dab in the middle of everything. We walked everywhere. Also, make sure you check out the Lighthouse Bar. If you like live music, Ed, the musician playing there on Fri, Sat, and Sun night is very good and very entertaining. The staff there is great as well, and the place just felt very warm and inviting. We went there every night because we liked it so much! All in all, this was a great trip. If you like to stay in your hotel a lot on vacation, this may not be the place for you because it doesnt offer the bells and whistles of a bigger hotel. But if youre like us, and just need a nice, clean place to lay your head down at night, then don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I would really like to give this place 5 stars, because it was PERFECT for what I wanted. But in truth, it is not a fancy 5 star hotel. It is, however, a very affordable hotel, right across the street from the ocean and boardwalk. It is convenient to restaurants, shops, bars and the fishing pier. The hotel itself has an updated art deco look. Although the hotel rooms are small (think South Beach boutique size), they are clean, bright and updated. They have small flat screen tvs, and nice details, like Bath & Body Works toiletries. As far as service goes, I was impressed from the first time I called. They knew who I was before I even gave my name. I requested a room with a window, since other reviews mentioned it, and they gave me a corner room with three windows. The manager spoke with me and my spouse on different occasions, to ask about our hotel stay. They have a small sundeck on the third floor, from which you can see a bit of the ocean/beach in between the other hotels. They have free parking behind the hotel, and I never had a problem getting a space. Altogether, I was extremely happy with my stay, and will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I had to travel to VA Beach for a job interview and stayed over the weekend at this hotel. I wasn't expecting much by the looks of the outside, but don't let that deter you. After checking in, I found my way to my room. The place is much bigger inside than how it appears. The really neat thing, in my opinion, is the "maze" of small hallways that lead to all the rooms. My room was very nice. Small, but big enough for myself or a significant other. Not big enough for a family. I am sure they have bigger rooms, but mine was very quaint and nice. They had a flat screen TV on the wall, wired high speed internet, and a pretty comfy bed. The beach was right across the street and there were places to get a bite to eat right outside the hotel. My ONLY complaint was parking. Once their little lot is full, you have to drive straight back from the hotel about 2 blocks and park in a parking area for that hotel. All in all, I would definitely return and recommend this to another traveler.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Scottsville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

We booked an interior room with a queen sized bed on the hotel's website for the AAA rate of $53, figuring that it would be quieter and that any view was going to be minimal at best. Good decision! The room was indeed very quiet, spotlessly clean, nicely (though inexpensively) decorated, had a microwave, refrigerator, small dining table, armoire, and a good-sized bathroom with two seats in the shower. Someone with a little design flair had decorated it because there was some originality vs. the usual corporate style. The hotel has a roof deck with some tables and chairs, benches, flowers in planters, and a limited view of the ocean. It is kind of a rabbit warren of hallways, but everything is clearly marked and it's easy enough to find the rooms.

In view of the price, which included parking, I was willing to overlook the few minor quibbles we had:

1. I noticed the same noise with the air conditioner that another person mentioned, but in our case it wasn't so hot that we needed to run it all night. I just turned it off once it got cool enough. You might want to bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper and it's summer.

2. I noticed an electronic beeping sound that continued for some time. (It started after we checked in.) When we left the room, I walked down the hall to see where it was coming from so I could notify the desk. It was from the electrical closet. The desk had taken care of it by the time we returned from dinner.

3. The in-room refrigerator didn't seem to work. If I'd needed it, I'd have asked the desk to replace it with another, which I'm sure they'd have done based on their pleasant, prompt response to the above.

A clean, attractive, safe place for that kind of money is fine by me. I'd stay there again.

Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Location is at corner of 19th and Atlantic - very easy to walk across the street to the beach or other places along the boardwalk/Atlantic Ave. Nice how the hotel provides free parking. The overflow lot is just a block and a half away - easy to walk to and is much larger than the lot next to the building. Beds were very comfortable. Wished there was more counter space in the bathroom for toiletries. No real complaints. Would stay here again.

Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We chose this hotel on our trip to Virginia Beach as other hotels near the beach were really expensive. 19 Atlantic Hotel is very near to the beach and other attractions. It's about 1 minute walk to the Beach Boardwalk from the hotel. The hotel is fairly new. The rooms are a bit small but it is more than enough to spend a night to 2. The rooms were furnished nicely. Each room had a fridge and microwave. Our room had one Double Bed and a window which overlooked other hotels on Atlantic Avenue. The Front Desk Lady was friendly and helpful. There are 2 parking lots - one is next to the hotel and the other one is 3-4 minutes walk. The Deck was good for relaxing and enjoying views of Atlantic Avenue.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend for the car show that was taking place in town. I found the hotel online and the pictures looked great. They are a bit deceiving, however. The rooms are tiny. My cubicle at work is the same size as the room we stayed in (minus the bathroom and closet). For what we needed it for, it was fine though. The staff was friendly. The rooms are extremely clean! We liked the fact that the front door remained locked and you had to use your room key to get inside. There was a rooftop deck that we also enjoyed. We could get a good look at all the of the cars lined up on the Ave. We bought a pizza from the shop (very good) on the corner downstairs and took it up to the deck to eat. It was nice. There is an oceanview from there.......between the buildings. We had a room with one double bed. Before arriving, we thought we might be able to come back another weekend and bring our baby and the pack-n-play. This will not work in the room we had. There is no room for a pack-n-play. It's a tight squeeze for 2 people in the room. The bathroom only had a shower, so that may be an issue if you are travelling with children also. They may have rooms with bathtubs, but I would ask that before booking. It is very tight quarters in the bathroom. My husband was not able to sit on the toilet as you normally would, he had to sit sideways because his knees would not fit between the toilet and the wall. There are blinds to cover it, but there is a window in the shower. When we got off the elevator to find our room, it was a maze. Literally, a maze. And some rooms do not have windows. Just bringing up things that may be an issue to some travellers. I had to straighten my hair in the hotel room as opposed to the bathroom because there is no outlet beside the sink. there is one on the wall behind you when you are looking in the mirror, but I was afraid something would happen and my straightener would fall into the toilet. So I used the outlet in the hotel room beside the full-length mirror, which worked great. Since there was no way my husband and I would have both fit in the bathroom at once anyway. Like I said before, I would definitely stay here again. The price and location are great...........I can deal with the other stuff. If we come again we will get a room with 2 beds and make sure there is a bathtub if we bring our baby along. All in all I recommend!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to 19 Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!