“Cheap Eats In Va Beach” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dover, New Hampshire
“Cheap Eats In Va Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My wife and I visited Aloha Hawaiian BBQ (Aloha) in early July 2014 during a five night stay in VA Beach. Aloha is located in a section of town with some small strip malls.

Aloha is a cafeteria style place. You place and pay for your order at the front desk, and you food is brought out to you on a tray. You pay for and order your drinks at the counter. It did not appear to offer any beer or liquor.

Aloha is not a first class restaurant experience. The interior is somewhat older and utilitarian. But the food is inexpensive and the portions good sized. When we were there, it was fairly busy with locals.

Aloha has what it calls Hawaiian BBQ as well as some Asian dishes. My wife ordered the Pad Thai with Shrimp for $7.95. Her portion was big and she could not finish it. She liked it. I ordered a special called "Lau Lau", which was pork, salmon, spinach and taro wrapped in banana leaves. I liked ordering unusual dishes, and at first, I didn't think I'd like it, but I did. The portion could have been a bit bigger. It came with a side of sticky rice and macaroni salad.

Our tab came to well under $20.00. One can spend a lot of money in VA Beach on food and parking, and an inexpensive, clean little spot was a welcome change. It's not going to excite foodies, but it's a very good bargain.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Not horrible, but not good either ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

While waiting for a room at our hotel, we ventured out to some stores to look for a beach chair and found this restaurant. There weren't a whole lot of great choices in the immediate area, and this seemed like it might be something different at least. It definitely was different! It's simple and inexpensive; you order at a counter and the girl brings your food out to your table when it's ready. The menu is Hawaiian BBQ, and then they have a separate menu of Thai food, which I didn't see until after we ordered. There are a lot of pork items on the menu, as well as chicken. The BBQ sauce that it was cooked in was tasty, but the chicken meat they used was very...odd. It was flattened out, but not chicken breasts. I'm not sure if it was thigh pieces?? I honestly would have enjoyed it much more if I could have identified it! It came over a bed of cooked cabbage, and had sides of rice, a salad with a teriyaki dressing, and your choice of French fries, mashed potatoes, or macaroni salad, which I thought was so strange! My husband had the Aloha tea, which ended up being SUPER sweet iced tea with half and half! It was interesting to taste, but too sweet to drink the whole thing. Overall, the restaurant was okay. It could have been much worse, but it also could have been much better! I will say that the girl waiting on us was incredibly kind and sweet, and so the service was great. But with all the other choices we now have found, I would probably not go back.

Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
“We need one in Richmond Va!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We loved this place...Exceptional Customer Service & Excellent Food!! I wish we had one at home...it was so good we ordered to go to bring some back.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Beware of employee reviews!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Beware of employee reviews!! Awful be sure to bring directions to another rest.
Cold food and ... Nin descript.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good cheap and different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My kid introduced me to this place. The menu has things you won't find anywhere else. Hawaiian dishes, bbq, thai dishes. Interesting mix. Prices are cheap. You can get a whole plate of food for under 8 dollars. Everyone that came in while we were there was in their twenties. Looks like they found good food that will not break the budget. I will be back.

• Visited September 2013